The best guitar ive ever played.....is a Dean?

• Thread starter kgerbick7321
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its true. I had the opportunity to play a metric ....ton of high end guitar this month because i am visiting family, and im right up the street from The Axe Palace. I was able to play a lot of 2014 Ibanez, ESP, Parker, Mayones, Jackson, Carvin, PRS, and Schecter guitars.

However, Nick (Zimbloth) let me try out all of his custom shop Dean RC7's, this one in particular, and i couldn't believe what was happening.

DqQqAvw.jpg

Lets face it, if you ask 99% of the people on this forum what their favorite guitar company is, i guarantee they will not say Dean.

These are without a doubt in my mind, THE BEST 7 string guitars i have ever played. The upper fret access is unmatched by any superstrat guitar out there. Also, the neck shape is extremely unique. It starts moderately round on the lower frets and becomes progressively flatter as you move up the neck, its perfect.

That is all i have to say. Dont judge a book by its cover guys :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
Lets face it, if you ask 99% of the people on this forum what their favorite guitar company is, i guarantee they will not say Dean.
Because their import stuff is so-so and is no match for other brands,but many here often say their USA made stuff is pretty amazing:agreed:
That finish looks incredible btw:yesway:

Did you try some 2014 schecter stuff too? :scratch:

Rotatous

Reaction score
Thats awesome man, but Dean's USA custom shop stuff isn't the majority of what they put out which is why most people aren't too crazy about those wings on the headstock :lol:

I played a Korean RC7 the other day and while it played nice and actually had a really nice neck, on closer inspection the quality was pretty appalling even compared to other Korean guitars. Might have been a lemon but I wasn't surprised necessarily.

Reaction score
Thats awesome man, but Dean's USA custom shop stuff isn't the majority of what they put out which is why most people aren't too crazy about those wings on the headstock :lol:

I played a Korean RC7 the other day and while it played nice and actually had a really nice neck, on closer inspection the quality was pretty appalling even compared to other Korean guitars. Might have been a lemon but I wasn't surprised necessarily.

The headstock logo doesnt bother me at all lol. But the Korean RCX7's arent that spectacular. The neck isnt even remotely the same as the USA models

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hey Kenny, cool to see you were digging my guitar there.

Yeah their import models dont do the custom shop RC7s justice. I own 3 of them that I use in the studio and live, and they're the best playing guitars I've ever come into contact with. Sound killer, flawless craftsmanship, quick build times, just all around awesome for my tastes.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
I played an alien black US RC7 once, it was the fastest shit and the bigger sound I've ever played...damned my UV seemed like a tank after.
I gave it back to his owner, he told me the price, I've tried to forget since this day. No doubt why it's so price full and such big names play Deans US

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I wish I could give Dean another shot because they have some damn nice looking guitars but I've been disappointed by way to many deans for that to happen anytime soon.

RC7 has always been on my list, almost bought one a few years ago.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
The one RC7 I've played was easily on par with/better than a 1527. The biggest problem with RC7s are the tacky HR Gieger wannabe finishes, and the fact that Dean headstocks always look cheap. As instruments they're actually very competitive.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
There is a massive difference between a USA custom shop and a Korean import line. Nick's collection is sweet! I would love to try one of these sometime. I wouldn't gel with the floyd and super thin neck but everything else looks awesome.

Just saw this one in my news feed:
1510464_10152185835360813_786295453_n.jpg

Reaction score
The one RC7 I've played was easily on par with/better than a 1527. The biggest problem with RC7s are the tacky HR Gieger wannabe finishes, and the fact that Dean headstocks always look cheap. As instruments they're actually very competitive.
take it from someone that had a 1527 for 5 years, the USA RC7's put them to absolute shame

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
Despite strongly disliking both Dean and Rusty Cooley, I've always thought the RC sigs were great looking guitars.
That one looks fantastic. Love the Finish. Just wish it had a nice headstock aswell

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I don't get the RC7X hate at all. It's interesting, because with guitars at the end of the day it's just being built but a few people with different roles to a certain standard, and most the big guitar brands get their instruments made in the same factories to the same standards, not much difference to how they're made in the states.

Most Korean guitars are a crapshoot, and in owning a couple American made guitars and a few offshore guitars I think the only difference between them is the guarantee of a perfectly made instrument. But, you can certainly find great offshore guitars that feel just as good as American made ones, in my experience, you just have to look. My RC7x is made almost as well as say my American Fender Stratocaster, In my opinion.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I wonder if Dean's custom shop would do an RC6?

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
I've wanted to take the 20 minute drive to the Axe Palace since I found out they were so close to where I live, but most of the stuff there is well out of my poor man's budget, and I'd really rather not be the guy who goes just to stick my grubby little hands all over nice gear with no intents of buying.

I'm not terribly savvy on Dean in the slightest, but I've heard good things about the RC7's. (of course I'm only going on what OP has said, and I think Zimbloth when he posted the Green Xenocide RC7 NGD however long ago.) I'm sure the fact that they're custom shop quality helps a good deal though. I like the goofy inlay, and thought it looked damn cool on the green one.

Reaction score
I don't get the RC7X hate at all. It's interesting, because with guitars at the end of the day it's just being built but a few people with different roles to a certain standard, and most the big guitar brands get their instruments made in the same factories to the same standards, not much difference to how they're made in the states.

Most Korean guitars are a crapshoot, and in owning a couple American made guitars and a few offshore guitars I think the only difference between them is the guarantee of a perfectly made instrument. But, you can certainly find great offshore guitars that feel just as good as American made ones, in my experience, you just have to look. My RC7x is made almost as well as say my American Fender Stratocaster, In my opinion.

No offense, but you are very, very wrong if you think a made in the US guitar has the same quality/sound/playability and one made in Korea. Even regarding the same instrument. I've played a MIK RCX7 and a made in US RC7 and they are no where near the same instrument other than aesthetics.

Latest posts

')