The Best of Times with Your Dads.

• Thread starter Xiphos68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
My dad is the biggest Meshuggah fan i know.
Hes the reason i got into metal in the first place and we are always updating eachother on new bands and stuff.
He also goes to most of the concerts i go to:hbang:

He is also the best bass player i know and a couple of times a year we get together and jam.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
My Dad and I are cool. We're not super close, and I don't really have any specific memories of chilling with him or doing any activities with him. My dad is a workaholic, and I've always been cool with that because I'm not huge into family and hanging out with them. He owns a few restaurants and I go and eat there at lunch time and we usually shoot the shit for a few minutes before he goes back to work.

Like I say, it never really bugged me at all like some people who are like "Daddy wasn't there" etc. Also worth noting is that me and my father are NOTHING alike although I'm pretty much a clone in the physical looks department. I once saw a picture of him at my grandmother's place when I was really young, and he was in a suit, and I actually asked when that picture of me was taken :lol:

But when we chill, we get along great. I can sit there and shoot the shit with him. When I start talking dirty though he just laughs and shakes his head :lol:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Mine's kind of a weird/long story. I'll skip most of it.

I'm pretty sure I owe my musical talent(s) (and my depression ;))to my dad, who raised me on classical music and let me sit next to him on the bench when he played the organ at church every Sunday.

Then I moved in with my mom, and we hardly spoke for most of my teens. ;)

We've since bridged the gap, especially since my mom died -- I think he knew how much that was going to effect me and stepped back in to the picture. Since then we've been cool, and he's been really supportive of me and my endeavors, even if he doesn't particularly care for them stylistically speaking. We've been bonding a lot over the past 2 years or so, him teaching me more about the organ and general music theory, and me teaching him about all the cool musical things you can do with recording and computers.

My only real gripe is, we're both cut from the same mold and as a result we have a severely difficult time talking about anything emotional with each other.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^I'm kinda the same with mine (as far as the last line). My parents divorced when I was 2 and I lived with my mom until I was 18. Every year, he would come visit me or would fly me out to visit him and we would talk every week. I moved back here to Austin to live with him and to get to know him better and it's been great ever since.

Both my mom and dad are very musical people and that was a huge part of my upbringing and I can never thank them enough for that.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
My dad's father was basically insane for most of his childhood, and he still managed to raise me well.

My dad is pretty cool. :agreed:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
My dad is no longer a part of my life, but I do remember one time when I had a serious crush on a girl in Switzerland, daughter of one of his colleagues there, he arranged it so that I could come with him to a wedding being held there and made sure that we were seated together at the reception.
That was one awesome weekend. :agreed:

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
I love my dad, my greatest time was probably when he took me to see iron maiden for my 11th b-day and we both got to meet the band!
I remember every second.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
At someone elses wedding?
If the answer is yes, I like your style.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
My Dad is sound. We're not as close as we used to be like back in the day when we'd go to Man United matches and stuff because I moved away from football. We're definitely going to a match this season though, I'm planning on buying him tickets for his birthday.

I do owe him a lot though, he sacrified every Sunday morning for two and a half years to take me to guitar lessons and before that, football training and matches. He lets me play my music in the car whenever we go anywhere as well which is pretty cool.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
my dad is a pretty distant guy.

he's not a bad person, he never knew his dad so considering that he's done alright, but he can be the most unreasonable person on the planet at times.

I'm like JJ though, it's never bothered me. he likes his own space, I like mine. neither of us like talking about deep shit so we leave it be. having said that we are very different, I never wanted to be like him so that one was easy.

there's nearly 50 years age difference between me and my pa so it's hard to see eye to eye sometimes, but we are considerate of each other and make the conscious effort to get on.

as for the best of times, I remember going to Disneyland with my dad when I was 10, that was pretty cool.

AK DRAGON

Guitar Popcicle
Reaction score
my relationship with my dad is summed pretty much up by the song Cat's in the Cradle.
I despise his new wife which makes matters worse.
The really sad thing is, I can't remember having any good times with him

JamesGregory

stereotypicalemgfan
Reaction score
My Dad will always be my hero, he got me my first guitar, a Peavey T-16 for 50 bucks when I was 8 years old, 22 years ago! He was the only person who thought I'd stick with guitar, he's the heat, to quote Will Ferrell from Wedding Crashers "LOVE YOU DAD!!!"

Methilde

Derp.
Reaction score
My dad is the coolest person ever. I love doing these simple dad-n-daughter things every now and then. We jam together (him on bass, me on guitar) or go cycling to the woods on a sunday afternoon. He's usually the calm listener in a house of mostly women ;)

My dad rocks!

Reaction score
Funniest thing ever with my dad was christmas some years ago.
After we were through with celebrating with the whole family and anyone besides him and me had left the room I gave him a special present which is smokeable and green. And he is like "Wow, great, thank you! I have something for you, too, wait a second!" leaves the room and comes back with 20 half liter bottles of my favorite beer, which you cant buy where we live. And it was so fucking awesome because both of us had gotten the other one something to get hammered and had spent about 10€ on it ^^
Another fine thing: the friend i had gotten the dope from the day before had it from his father ^^

Funniest thing ever with my dad was christmas some years ago.
After we were through with celebrating with the whole family and anyone besides him and me had left the room I gave him a special present which is smokeable and green. And he is like "Wow, great, thank you! I have something for you, too, wait a second!" leaves the room and comes back with 20 half liter bottles of my favorite beer, which you cant buy where we live. And it was so fucking awesome because both of us had gotten the other one something to get hammered and had spent about 10€ on it ^^
Another fine thing: the friend i had gotten the dope from the day before had it from his father ^^
Fathers and sons: United in addiction.

')