The best pick for hard shredding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
BEST PICK IN THE WORLD!
It runs out pretty quickly but it's the most comfortable pick i ever had.
Very good for riffing(some will find it not thick enough) and super fast for shredding! :shred:

PK31-M.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
I have a whole box full of picks I've tried that I didn't get along with I dig Jazz 3's but they are far to small for my big hands, but after a lot of time wasted I finally found that my ultimate pick is the Jim Dunlop stubby triangle 1.5! :hbang:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
BEST PICK IN THE WORLD!
Very good for riffing(some will find it not thick enough) and super fast for shredding! :shred:

PK31-M.jpg

how thin are those? i've been known to snap picks before :lol:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
BEST PICK IN THE WORLD!

PK31-M.jpg
These are what Dimebag used. I use em too. I use a new one every practice cause they wear out really quick but they are the best sounding and feel great.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Try the Dunlop Gel Extra Heavy (yellow)... or the thickest Dunlop Nylon (black... all of them are shades of white/black/gray.... the black is the thickest). I switch back and forth between those... the yellow gel pick seems to be smoother for arpeggios, but for overall playing the nylon feels more comfortable to me for some reason.

I've tried the the Jazz III style picks a few times and I just don't really like them. It's all about preference... for me, they are TOO thick/stiff and too small... uncomfortable.

Man, EXACTLY the same here. :lol:

I keep switching between the Yellow Dunlop gels and the black Dunlop nylon.
I can't stand Jazz picks. I can't get how someone can play with picks that small... Not for me.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
I use the Jazz III's as well. If I try a bigger pick I just end up choking up on them until my fingers are right out to the edge anyway.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
sorry, but there's no 'best' pick for hard shredding...

any stiff (thick) pick will do just fine. it really boils down to your picking technique. some player's make certain pick sound better than other, imo.

just invest the few coins in getting different brands, thicknesses and shapes (pointy, round,...) and find it out for yourself. nobody can tell you what's the best pick for you :lol:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dunlop Jazz III XLs (black ones) although I have to check out some of those Ultex Jazz IIIs.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
I like the Jazz III pics because of their small size and the little tip that sticks out, initially I started using them because a lot of my favorite players were using em. They've since grown on me, and I'm convinced they are the best for uber shred because I thought it was all about economy of motion? And if you have a lot of pick sticking out - that kinda hurts your speed a lil I think. I have normal size hands, and It's just what I like :)

Order a few different brands and see what you like...

Oh by the way, I dunno if anyone said this but the black Jazz IIIs are warmer sounding than the Reds which sound more snappy. I like the reds more.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I use Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.0mm. Because they are sharp, you can be more accurate and the thickness means they don't give and you can chug away nicely.

Reaction score
Dunlop 3.0 MM Big Stubbies for me :D
DunlopBigStubby2and3.jpg

I was using this until I lost it :(
v_pick_small_pointed.jpg

If you ever try V-Picks, get the clear ones...the glow in the dark ones don't feel as good.

QueeZeR

Beard appreciater
Reaction score
I've been using the red Jazz III picks for quite a while now, but after reading this thread I decided to test some of my old picks and discovered that the purple stubby 3.0 mm felt fucking amazing! Unfortunately though, the harder material sounded more mellow and bassy, and produced a lot more pick-noise. After a quick research I raged at the fact that there are nylon big stubbys, but not small nylon stubbys.

ragweed

>>> The Game
Reaction score
Okay i just bought 3 packs of Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm. It looks very massive after 2-3 h of play and also big enough.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Jazz III's are very articulate, and for me, too articulate. I only really play on a jazzy/deep darker clean tone (Fender Twin :wub:). I used Jazz IIIs when I played with distortion, and it made playing and being articulate much easier, as well as trained my picking hand. But the less gain involved, the worse they sound (to me).

1153351028_DELRIN_500_STRD_410_463X342.jpg

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=21&pmh=products/picks

This is the pick for me right now. It's very expressive. When picking fast passages, the round shape produces a nice round tone, and it's rigid, so emphasizing the beginning and end of a run or little sweep with a snap is easy, and comes naturally. If you want to get more expressive with your playing, and include shred, get something like this over the Jazz IIIs. But if you still can't pick, get the IIIs to train your economy of motion.

Notice those beautiful accents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')