The best pick for hard shredding

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got the Eric Johnson Jazz III's, they are a little bit bigger on the area where you put your thumb. absolutely perfect IMO.

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
tortex jazz in 1.14 FTW! the superior sound of the 1.14 (Purple) Tortex and the superior control of a Jazz III.

Dickicker

Reaction score
Dude, I love the Tortex myself but I just started playing the Ultex and I like the sharper point. But I hate how they dont have the grippiness too them like a tortex. Then I fourn the Tortex WEDGE! They have a nice almost sharp point to them with a wider top like a normal pick. Great for heavy "feel it" riffs and great for articulation! Awesome stuff!

Skylark

Giver of Names
Reaction score
I always loved the Ibbys for te the point but now I use the Ultex only. Jazz III didnt appeal to me for the sharpness of the point. Cause I dont strum as hard Ultex is what I searched for

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
I use a 1.5 mm Jazz model from Picks and Stones Gemstone Guitar Picks . It's based off the Jazz III but slightly larger and made of brazillian agate.

JBAsm.jpg

What's great about the stone pick is that it doesn't give way at all, all the pick momentum is transfered to the string. You can control your dynamics better and it "slides" more easilly from string to string.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my secret weapon:

PB42RG.jpg

They wear out too fast, unfortunately, and are somewhat hard to find. But I get way better tone and feel out of these than anything else I've tried. The black Jazz IIIs feel somewhat clunky to me and sound muffled, by comparison.

The Metacarbonates allow me to achieve a great deal of evenness between my picked and hammered notes, which is important when playing in a legato style.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
haven't read everything here, so forgive me if i'm rehashing, but.....
i used to use "Cool" picks..... they are white with grip in the middle, that says "Cool."
i know, the lamest thing in the world, but they are amazing..... i even had my own custom pics designed after them..... not saying cool though ;)

when i was at berklee, i used the dunlop aligator 1.14, and would literally sand the pick into something wicked sharp! so, it would be big enough for my comfort, but sharp enough to almost poke out an eye...... you should try it

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
haven't read everything here, so forgive me if i'm rehashing, but.....
i used to use "Cool" picks..... they are white with grip in the middle, that says "Cool."
i know, the lamest thing in the world, but they are amazing..... i even had my own custom pics designed after them..... not saying cool though ;)

when i was at berklee, i used the dunlop aligator 1.14, and would literally sand the pick into something wicked sharp! so, it would be big enough for my comfort, but sharp enough to almost poke out an eye...... you should try it

I have some of those Cool picks and they are awesome!

I've been using the 2.0mm Purple dunlop picks with the turtle on them, but they wear down so fast with how heavy I pick... however, I just found these and want to order some in a bad way:

picture-8.png

Btw: Can we ban the douche bag that posted that grotesque picture in the post above mine? That disturbed me.

Maniacal

Reaction score
I use Jazz III XLs.

They still arent ideal for me, but so far they are the best ones I have found.

They are also impossible to get where I live so I have to order them from the US.

TomParenteau

Tube & Analog Snob
Reaction score
Those Red Bear ones got a great review in Guitar Player. I haven't tried 'em for $20 apiece!

Bleak

Reaction score
Those Red Bear ones got a great review in Guitar Player. I haven't tried 'em for $20 apiece!

Yep, they're expensive, but they're a really quality product. They've lasted me quite some time now, and sound better than any others I've used. Maybe try out the Tuff-Tone picks. They're made of a different (albeit similar) material that's a little more durable, and only 10$ a pop.
They'll do custom shapes too if they don't already offer something you're in to.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
I use good old Dunlop Tortex Sharp 1.0mm. Would never use anything else. They help me get great attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')