The Best V Guitar Of All Time.

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I remember going to Axe Music in Edmonton, Alberta one year when I was 17/18 and I tried out the first run Michael Amott ESP Ninja with the metal mirror pickguard and I LOVED it. I didn't mind the shorter scale length at all. The body seemed much bigger than the DV8 Sig. I wanted it so bad, but couldn't afford it.

junchxa3hdtqpmpyycz4.jpg

The next version of Amott's signature that came in dark red with a Floyd Rose and 24 frets was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

esp-michael-amott-arch-enemy-ninja-electric-guitar-sku-number-6seninjastr.jpg

After Amott left ESP and joined Dean, his signature guitar with Dean looked like absolute shit...

18707.jpg

Reaction score
I remember going to Axe Music in Edmonton, Alberta one year when I was 17/18 and I tried out the first run Michael Amott ESP Ninja with the metal mirror pickguard and I LOVED it. I didn't mind the shorter scale length at all. The body seemed much bigger than the DV8 Sig. I wanted it so bad, but couldn't afford it.

View attachment 93589

The next version of Amott's signature that came in dark red with a Floyd Rose and 24 frets was absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

View attachment 93592

After Amott left ESP and joined Dean, his signature guitar with Dean looked like absolute shit...

View attachment 93593

I gotta agree..those Dean Amott sigs need some milk

Estilo

Reaction score
I'd always had in mind to get one of the 600 series Amott LTDs eventually when I was planning to stay on in Australia. But life took a different path, I came back home and gear supply is lame here.

The Dean Amott Sigs are just meh. I like him and the band enough though, and had they stuck with the ESP/LTD specs and they came up for sale here I might just get one for the heck of it but they wont even put the SDs on.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
to be fair, dean does have the tyrant tin man, which has no graphics
dean-michael-amott-tyrant-tin-man-electric-guitar-new-bstock-w-blemished-case_203281104893.jpg

along with the burgundy
hd0pynayjpysvpafulor.jpg

Yeah, that's fair. But I guess on a personal level they still miss me. Tin Man ain't my thing completely and I don't vibe with the thick colored bevels in Burgundy (or some Jackson Vs, for example).
Still - a step in a right direction, I guess?

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Just watched this gem of a music video again and I thought of this thread. The lead guitarist is playing Neal Moser Custom Shop Bastard V and I love it!

Has anyone watched Metal Lords on Netflix? The vocals of the kid in the Netflix movie sounds almost identical to this dude playing the Jackson!

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Yes. And fuck you if you disagree.

View attachment 93178

Alexi's ESPs (at least the non-USA ones, fuck the horrible lower wing on the USA models) definitely were an improvement re fret access and overall comfort of the design, but the paintwork and inlays lose some of the mojo for me.

g4nua0y0mhd61.jpg

You can't beat the thin bevels + sharkfins IMO. The dream is the ESP shape with the Jackson aesthetics

These 2 guitars man. I'm admittedly very much a fanboy, but when I saw that white scythe for the first time back in like '04 or '05 I was completely blown away. Then I went further back through 'Bodom's catalogue and learned of the WildChild guitar and the other custom Jackson's they used to have and that was the be all end all for me. A big majority of Alexi's signature models have been sick: The katakana, the pinky, the blacky, the black w/white glow in the dark, the arrowhead, the hexed, the ripped. Really the only two stinkers were the Greeny and the Wild Scythe.

There are a lot of other cool V's out there, and it's my favorite shape by far, but these 2 guitars will always be the standard that I hold other V's to. The Caparison Orbit is pretty cool, so is the Amott Ninja, the DV8, and the old Mustaine KV's with the Kahlers, to name a few. The Oli Herbert Rhoads was pretty sick too.

Still, for me, a lot of people get the shape wrong. The Kiesel/Carvin ones where the fins are backwards drive me nuts. While I like the Gibson V, the spinoffs of it by other brands are pretty atrocious, especially that Vulture thing that James plays now days.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
These 2 guitars man. I'm admittedly very much a fanboy, but when I saw that white scythe for the first time back in like '04 or '05 I was completely blown away. Then I went further back through 'Bodom's catalogue and learned of the WildChild guitar and the other custom Jackson's they used to have and that was the be all end all for me. A big majority of Alexi's signature models have been sick: The katakana, the pinky, the blacky, the black w/white glow in the dark, the arrowhead, the hexed, the ripped. Really the only two stinkers were the Greeny and the Wild Scythe.

There are a lot of other cool V's out there, and it's my favorite shape by far, but these 2 guitars will always be the standard that I hold other V's to. The Caparison Orbit is pretty cool, so is the Amott Ninja, the DV8, and the old Mustaine KV's with the Kahlers, to name a few. The Oli Herbert Rhoads was pretty sick too.

Still, for me, a lot of people get the shape wrong. The Kiesel/Carvin ones where the fins are backwards drive me nuts. While I like the Gibson V, the spinoffs of it by other brands are pretty atrocious, especially that Vulture thing that James plays now days.

Feel very similarly to you. I feel the fact that you and I met originally on the UM Bodom forums speaks for itself :lol: Don't care for the Amott Ninja or the Orbit although the Cazqui sig is pretty baller. Gibson Vs have to have the 67 style pickguard for me. 67 is a top 5 guitar design, 57 style is lesser and I lose interest entirely without a pickguard.

It does tickle me how particular we are compared to the rest of the population though. I played my Alexi fanboy RR24 at a non metal show recently. My most metal friend there, who I met at a BTBAM concert and plays guitar himself, was just like "woah, flying v, that's so you"

Latest posts

')