The Big Four's Best Riff Writers

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Best Riff Writer of the Big Four

• James Hetfield

Votes: 103 56.6%
  • Scott Ian

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Dave Mustaine

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • The Slayer Boys

Votes: 29 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wankerness

Reaction score
Looks like he got banned, he can't hear you :(

I never really understood the inclusion of Anthrax in the big 4, but I grew up in the late 90s. Was Anthrax really as popular as the other three back in the 80s? They were never part of the recommendations for middle/high schoolers trying to be hardcore here, unlike the other three. I can't recall ever hearing a single Anthrax track in my life, though I've seen tons of Scott Ian talking head interviews on VH1! The other three, though, are totally unavoidable if you were ever into metal it seems. Why is it "the big four" instead of "the big three"? Is this some kind of regional thing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Anthrax (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The band was one of the most popular of the 1980s thrash metal scene. When thrash metal began to gain a major following in the mid-to-late 1980s, Anthrax were dubbed one of the "big four" of thrash metal alongside Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer.

They were also one of the early thrash metal bands to sign to a major label (Island Records, in 1985). As of 2004, Anthrax sold over 2.5 million records in the U.S since the beginning of the SoundScan era and as of 2012, they have sold over 15 million records worldwide.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I never really understood the inclusion of Anthrax in the big 4, but I grew up in the late 90s. Was Anthrax really as popular as the other three back in the 80s? They were never part of the recommendations for middle/high schoolers trying to be hardcore here, unlike the other three. I can't recall ever hearing a single Anthrax track in my life, though I've seen tons of Scott Ian talking head interviews on VH1! The other three, though, are totally unavoidable if you were ever into metal it seems. Why is it "the big four" instead of "the big three"? Is this some kind of regional thing?

220px-AnthraxAmongTheLiving.jpg

This was the album that got them success and recognition. It also helps that it was released right at the same year as Peace Sells and Reign in Blood, all subsequently 1 year after Master of Puppets. I admit that Among The Living is the weakest of the lot, but that's 4 very important albums right there. The next wave of thrash bands were just getting their crap together until finally releasing brilliant albums a few years after.

I guess thrash needed an East Coast representative, they were the first from the area to get big, even before the next tier of thrash bands, and they were already bringing in the hardcore influences with them, arguably more so than the other 3. And Scott Ian is up there with Hetfield and Mustaine as one of the tightest rhythm players in metal. You can't out-downpick them. :metal:

Also, nowadays, Anthrax are the only band of the Big 4 who actually still care about making great music and putting on an excellent live show.

Lastly, between every Belladonna album and Show No Mercy era Slayer have been a massive influence that brought the neo-thrash movement in the early 2000s.

Dooky

Reaction score
Hard decision for me; but I had to go with James. Dave is a very close second.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I voted for Hetfield. I'd probably go with Slayer second. I really don't like Megadeth at all, which is weird, but I just can't get into Mustaine's stuff.

We need someone like SchecterWhore to come in here and tell us that the Metallica fans like Phrygian modes with voice leading, while the Megadeth fans like Phrygian mode with no immediate resolution, or some other technical stuff, that would explain why we might like one of the other. Because for me, I've been buying/downloading Metallica stuff for ages, but, despite trying, just never could appreciate Megadeth. There's gotta be a reason!

flint757

Reaction score
For me it's the singing. Same reason I can't fully appreciate Dream Theater.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like he got banned, he can't hear you :(

Yeah Anthrax was always the underdog of the group.
I really think their inclusion as one of the big 4 was largely an issue of good timing.

They released Among The Living which gained them a lot of recognition then turned around the next year (right at the height of Headbanger's Ball's best era) and came back with videos and all for several of the State Of Euphoria songs.

The first few seconds of their song Antisocial was also used for an MTV ad (just like the beginning of Peace Sells bass-line) and that video was an anthem on headbangers ball for several months, followed up by the awesome and social/political song/video for Who Cares Wins.

IMO that State Of Euphoria album was their finest work all around, and it couldn't have came at a more opportunistic time.
And then we also can't dismiss the attention that I'm The Man created. Major buzz surrounded that track at just the perfect time for them.

edit; I agree with those who criticize Mustaine's singing. I love classic megadeth, but with an authoritative vocalist they would be/have been that much better IMO.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
James is the whole reason my rhythm is as good as it is and why I can downpick so fast.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I was watching the Making of Death Magnetic again last night. You forget how awesome James is until you see him just going to town as he works out parts. I always feel bad for Kirk when he is put on the spot to learn them. Even the most difficult parts come naturally to James.

When it comes to Anthrax, you have to give them credit for waving the thrash banner long after the ship had sailed. They still stay pretty rooted to the past even with their newer stuff. That said - there is still a lot of progression in their music. ATL - Sound of White Noise - Worship Music. All of them sound like Anthrax, but they all have different flavors. Also, Ian is a riff monster. Charlie may write them, but Ian has such a killer right hand. He is also the clown prince of thrash. His energy on stage is second to none!

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Went with James on the poll, def have Slayer in as #2

Regarding the 4th spot/Anthrax chat bout being in the "Big 4" I always felt it was a shame Exodus weren't that band. Maybe if it was the "Big 5"..... but imo Exodus deserved to be right up there and mentioned in the same breath as the others.

Exodus record sales are no where near Anthrax even (5 million worldwide compared to Anthrax's 15 million) but I think their contribution to the birth of Thrash along with the other 4 cannot be understated. Gary Holt imo is an immense song writer & guitarist and the last 4 or 5 Exodus albums have been consistently excellent and better than anything the other "Big 4" have put out in the last few years.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Just as justification for my Exodus/Gary Holt love..... Gary Holt with Slayer 2011

Raining Blood

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a massive Slayer fan, and in my opinion "Reign in Blood" was the perfect moment in thrash, and Seasons in the Abyss is one of my favourite metal albums ever. My vote is the Slayer Boys.

Basti

not much space to wr
Reaction score
Never even a big Metallica fan, but I have to admit their riffs just simply deliver. If I could say exactly why they're so effective then I'd probably be writing my own instead of talking about theirs.
Mustaine might be the better songwriter, his riffs are great but there's something a little more complex and studied to the songs in general. Then Slayer hold the best image/franchise that made fans so dedicated and devoted.
Anthrax I've never got into but they always pop up in line-ups, interviews and documentaries soo...must be doing something right.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Het. Pick any riff off MoP or ...AJFA. They're all monster riffs. I've drifted far from the Metallica camp these days and rarely listen to them anymore, but when I do, it's not just nostalgia that drags me right into the songs. It's the riffs.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Dave Mustaine hands down.

Hetfield wrote some epic riffs, but Dave's are much more complicated than what Hetfield came up with and they sound quite excellent. Obviously, technicality is not everything, since it is all subjective in terms of what someone likes better. But I find Dave to be the better rhythm player.

As mentioned already, Tornado of Souls, Take No Prisoners, Lucretia, She-Wolf, Wake Up Dead, Skin O' My Teeth, Hangar 18, Holy Wars, Sleepwalker...

Latest posts

')