The Big Four's Best Riff Writers

• Thread starter ArtDecade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Best Riff Writer of the Big Four

• James Hetfield

Votes: 103 56.6%
  • Scott Ian

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Dave Mustaine

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • The Slayer Boys

Votes: 29 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I voted Slayer. I've always been impressed by all of them so it's really just whomever is coming through the speakers at the moment. Can't vote wrong on this poll.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Hanneman for me...while Dime was my biggest influence into picking up the instrument, Hanneman really gave me something to strive towards.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm a little freaked out by how bad this list is, but even more surprised that Hetfield has more votes than Mustaine. I mean, literally every track on Peace Sells and Rust In Piece has better riffs than anything in the entire Metallica discography.

Blech, many of the tracks on "Peace Sells" are just not very fun to play imo and consist mostly of powerchords/palm muted roots (ex, Devil's Island or The Conjuring). Also, Dawn Patrol? I'm not denying either album isn't better than all of Metallica's but to say EVERY TRACK ON THEM has better riffs than the likes of Master of Puppets or Blackened is crazy talk! The solos and the songwriting are what make Peace Sells so great, many of the riffs are pretty lackluster.

MetalBuddah

0000 00 0 0 00 000
Reaction score
Gonna have to go with Hetfield on this one. I was Metallica nut during my early years of listening to metal and what drew me in was just how solid the Metallica tracks I listened to were and how much more incredible it was to see James things live about 1.5x as fast and still downpick the whole time in songs like Creeping Death.

If I could vote twice I would most definitely vote for Slayer as well. There is nothing that pumps me up more than listening to Angel of Death at full volume.

Megadeth never really drew me in at all even though they have some interesting riffs and Anthrax did nothing but bore me.

Alcojuana

Reaction score
Dudes obviously its Dave. He wrote most of kill em all. Rust in piece is full of amazing riffs. Holy wars, take no prisoners, poison was the cure, tornado of souls! I know that megadeths last two albums sucked but if you listen to endgame and death magnetic side by side the obvious choice is Dave. The riffs on endgame are absolutely filthy!!!

flint757

Reaction score
I'm a little freaked out by how bad this list is

Aside from missing some of the members who actually wrote the riffs it is called the big 4 so what's the issue?

but even more surprised that Hetfield has more votes than Mustaine. I mean, literally every track on Peace Sells and Rust In Piece has better riffs than anything in the entire Metallica discography.

Opinions man, what can you do.

I voted Hetfield as well.

WolleK

Reaction score
Papa Het.... he ist the reason i picked up guitar and still have wet dreams about Esp/ Ken Lawrence Explorers

Koop

Reaction score
Hetfield forever... he's the reason why I stuck with guitar, he was my idol... I spent all of my 8th grade learning Metallica songs!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
What's wrong with the list?
Well first of all Scott Ian. Anthrax? The guy from Anthrax is on the list with Hetfield and Mustaine?? You can see that's a little weird right? I'm pretty sure most people don't really care so much about Anthrax. Or maybe I'm just too young.
^actually, that can't be it. Because I actually like Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer (kind of), but I've never cared about Anthrax or thought they were anything short of a one hit wonder with the song Mad House.

Also, Chuck Schuldiner wrote better riffs than Scott Ian or anyone in Slayer. He should be on this list instead of one of them (probably instead of Ian). I'm not even really a fan of Pantera and I'd still put Dimebag on that list before either of them, too.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^Yeah, except what I said is: this list isn't the big four. And I even mentioned that I would put dimebag on here even though I don't like Pantera, so OBVIOUSLY I understand that it's not 'whatever band tickles my fancy' you egregious dickbag! :mad:

flint757

Reaction score
^Yeah, except what I said is: this list isn't the big four. And I even mentioned that I would put dimebag on here even though I don't like Pantera, so OBVIOUSLY I understand that it's not 'whatever band tickles my fancy' you egregious dickbag! :mad:

Those 4 bands (Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax and Slayer) are quite literally called the big 4 bro. Whether they deserve it is a whole other conversation, but it is what it is. Those 4 bands came about in the 80's, Pantera is 90's too (ignoring their Glam Metal days).

And chill out man! This conversation isn't all that important. :lol:

')