The Black Dahlia Murder continuing on, announces tribute show and future

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ccc444

Reaction score
Song is great imo, it's more unique than Aftermath too. It's got Brandon's look-I-can-play-melodeath-that-isn't-all-harmonic-mior thing going on.

The tone could definitely better but we're also in the 1% of obsessing over such things. I'm not a fan of the album cover though, I think everything since Ritual was better. Anyway, stoked for the album :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDandy

Reaction score
I honestly don't mind the tone as much as I mind the lack of bass. I think some more bass would make the tone work a bit better mix-wise. Drums seem very overpowering as well.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I honestly don't mind the tone as much as I mind the lack of bass. I think some more bass would make the tone work a bit better mix-wise. Drums seem very overpowering as well.
As I drummer I love this but I do have to agree.
I don't think it's an offensively bad mix, but I do think you guys are right in it being the worst sounding TBDM record so far.

The material though, from what we've heard so far, is great imo.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like I’m in the minor here, but I’ve found both of these songs to be snoozers. That’s no insult to the group, they do what they do well, but the songs feel like they have no substance.

Yeah, I mean it's nothing they haven't been doing the last decade and a half, but it's the worst it's sounded, the mix is absolutely dead so it's a chore to listen to long enough for the good parts to come through.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Love this band so much and was rooting for this record but man these songs have done nothing for me. I respect the hell out of Brian for stepping up but the lyrics are a noticeable step down too.

The tone... I just ordered an SD Ellis Dyad the other day and these singles are like an anti-advert for it. What in the cocked wah is going on? Dunno what the issue is but Brandon produced Verminous so it's not that. It's so out of character for them surely it's a creative choice - maybe a consequence of having 2 shredders on board "more mids more mids" lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love this band so much and was rooting for this record but man these songs have done nothing for me. I respect the hell out of Brian for stepping up but the lyrics are a noticeable step down too.

The tone... I just ordered an SD Ellis Dyad the other day and these singles are like an anti-advert for it. What in the cocked wah is going on? Dunno what the issue is but Brandon produced Verminous so it's not that. It's so out of character for them surely it's a creative choice - maybe a consequence of having 2 shredders on board "more mids more mids" lol

Different mixing and mastering staff apparently, and it shows. :2c:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Have they said anything at all about the mix on this album? They must have gotten some feedback on it by now.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
There is a joke to be made here about that song Mammoth's Hand not being metal because it's about a stone age cult.

neurosis

Reaction score
Saw this when it came out yesterday. They are such great band. Even with the way this was recorded and Brian looking a little fried in the beginning this was so cool. The are incredible musicians and the show grows as they go. For comparison click the beginning, then see how Brian commands and involves the crowd in the end. Really cool show.

+9000 bonus for the crazy head spinning, too :D

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
This is, by far, the worst sounding TBDM album.

Which is a bummer because the music is really good, and I want the band to do well since they've been just about the most predictably great sounding death metal bands of the last 20 years.
This.

They're my favorite melodic death metal band so that's why I'm so passionate about how bad it sounds.

I like the songs but the mix is awful

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Saw this when it came out yesterday. They are such great band. Even with the way this was recorded and Brian looking a little fried in the beginning this was so cool. The are incredible musicians and the show grows as they go. For comparison click the beginning, then see how Brian commands and involves the crowd in the end. Really cool show.

+9000 bonus for the crazy head spinning, too :D

Watched it last night. Sound got better when they fixed the mix as it went on. Ryan and Brandon just ripping sick leads all the way through. I thought Brian did a great job too.

neurosis

Reaction score
I
Watched it last night. Sound got better when they fixed the mix as it went on. Ryan and Brandon just ripping sick leads all the way through. I thought Brian did a great job too.
have missed every chance to see them live so I gobble up recordings like this no matter the quality. It was nice to see that they continue to be a feel good band and have such a strong connection with the crowd. It can't be easy to connect and move people from that distance and into a huge mass of people. I think Brian does a great job, too.

')