The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I should just take a weekend and fly out there and get it, and just say "When you get cases, ship one to me, but as for now, I will take my guitar sir." My company will even pay to fly me wherever I want pretty much... plus I've never been to CA before.

Man, if I were in your shoes I'd probably do it. Somehow though I think you'll still come home empty handed... well not entirely empty handed... you'll still have that bag full of excuses Bernie will give you.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site. I don't play seven string guitars. They are really cool though. 6 is plenty for me.I'm waiting like the rest of you for my 2nd custom rico jr. diva guitar. I ordered the 1st custom Diva in March of 2010. I got the guitar in November of 2010. I love the shit out of my Diva guitar. It plays great and sounds great. If you look up rico jr guitar images on the web - mine is the gun metal grey Diva with black bevels. It is a 6 string. I guess I belong on six string.org haha. The last time I heard from Bernie was in mid November of 2012. I emailed him last week and he never got back to me - his website is down and you can't leave him a message when you call. Looks like we are all in the same crap canoe. When was the last time anyone got a call from him or an email?

Thanks - Brian

Last edited:

Jexey

Reaction score
His website is now a placeholder by a web hosting company. I JUST paid in full a month ago after seeing a completed picture of my guitar (waiting on cases.)

SOMEONE has to have talked to him recently because I'm getting the feeling he's packing up shop. I've been sending him emails every 3 days or so, no responses. I'm officially flipping the fuck out now.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I agree about spot swapping. I've been afraid to offer mine especially because its a full custom. We've chatted back and forth and settled on a rebuild with better specs. I decided to quit trying to contact and just wait it out; hopefully these BFR guitars will get done first and mine will slide in there eventually. I'm more worried he will loose the custom BKPs he has for it, and I'll hold him to getting this right, one way or the other. Right now I've got bigger investments (although this was a 1K deposit) coming up, with a Daemoness to be built this year and the Vik FF8 run starting this summer. I really won't mind not hearing from Bernie for a long while since at this point I'd have to turn around and sell it anyways (if it is flawless). And I've decided to go elsewhere to fill my 7 string void for now. Hearts will be broken.

If anything pops up from him I'll relay here just so people know wheels are turning and hopefully for all these paid for BFR instruments.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Credit Card companies will not touch any request after a year. I've already tried.

I'm pretty sure this is different, since you're paying for something in the future that doesn't exist yet. I know cc companies generally won't deal with it if you've had the item for over a year, but in this case the payment was made with the promise that the guitar would be done in a certain amount of time. I don't think a cc company would shut you down if you, say bought a car with a 2 year build time and 1.5 years in the company ran off.
I know they'll blow you off if the situation isn't explained (that you were paying for a custom build with the written agreement it would be done in 45-60 days, and that you don't have the item as the builder has ceased all communications/isn't willing to work something out).

I'm mainly basing this off people who've mentioned similar situations here and my own inquiries, obviously it could depend on the card issuer's policies. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but you should ideally be able to get a refund.

Now, if you're in my situation, you're probably screwed. I bought my spot from someone else, and even though I paid the remainder of the balance to Bernie there's virtually no written communication between us, and the only proof I have is the receipt for final payment, which shows that I paid $1100 or whatever. It doesn't describe the guitar or explain that it's a custom build that was started over 2 years ago.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is different, since you're paying for something in the future that doesn't exist yet. I know cc companies generally won't deal with it if you've had the item for over a year, but in this case the payment was made with the promise that the guitar would be done in a certain amount of time. I don't think a cc company would shut you down if you, say bought a car with a 2 year build time and 1.5 years in the company ran off.
I know they'll blow you off if the situation isn't explained (that you were paying for a custom build with the written agreement it would be done in 45-60 days, and that you don't have the item as the builder has ceased all communications/isn't willing to work something out).

I'm mainly basing this off people who've mentioned similar situations here and my own inquiries, obviously it could depend on the card issuer's policies. Don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but you should ideally be able to get a refund.

Now, if you're in my situation, you're probably screwed. I bought my spot from someone else, and even though I paid the remainder of the balance to Bernie there's virtually no written communication between us, and the only proof I have is the receipt for final payment, which shows that I paid $1100 or whatever. It doesn't describe the guitar or explain that it's a custom build that was started over 2 years ago.

I paid an $1,100 deposit as well. If Bernie comes through with the build- the next worry will be paying him in full and trusting him to ship the guitar. Good luck -I hope you-me and everyone else gets their guitars.

Jexey

Reaction score
Talked to the police and the credit companies, as well as a law professor who funny enough has been playing guitar since he was a kid.

PayPal and Credit Card companies will reverse transactions upon a valid police report and the professor will file suit free of charge.

The problem is that I've seen the guitar. It exists. It's sitting there right fucking now. Why the hell would I want to sue Bernie if it can all be resolved with a 5 minute online UPS pickup request and 10 minutes of effort boxing the guitar up?

Furthermore, if I screw him over and drown him in litigation it'll screw all you over, assuming there is a chance of you getting your guitars.

The shit of it is - I have money stuffed away to order two more full customs from him. I was stupid excited and was going to order the first fanned seven string I know of from Bernie... so depressing. The shitty shit? I'm deployed to a combat zone and stewing on this religiously.

Reaction score
Talked to the police and the credit companies, as well as a law professor who funny enough has been playing guitar since he was a kid.

PayPal and Credit Card companies will reverse transactions upon a valid police report and the professor will file suit free of charge.

The problem is that I've seen the guitar. It exists. It's sitting there right fucking now. Why the hell would I want to sue Bernie if it can all be resolved with a 5 minute online UPS pickup request and 10 minutes of effort boxing the guitar up?

Furthermore, if I screw him over and drown him in litigation it'll screw all you over, assuming there is a chance of you getting your guitars.

The shit of it is - I have money stuffed away to order two more full customs from him. I was stupid excited and was going to order the first fanned seven string I know of from Bernie... so depressing. The shitty shit? I'm deployed to a combat zone and stewing on this religiously.

Did Bernie email you a picture of your completed guitar and promise to ship? If so, how recent?

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I wanted to order a 3rd BRJ but not after how he has been running things the past couple of years. I think Skervesen will be getting the business now.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window

I was in the same place doing the same thing, and I was foolish enough to think I'd have it shipped to me there or get it on R&R. Put the money towards a Mayones or Skerveson. Those new FF guitars will be shown at Music Messe so there's something better to hope in.

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Hope you get it did bernie contact you to tell you it shipped?

I received this email 2 months ago...

"Dear Mike

It's Chris G Here, I got your message re your orders.
Bernie and I apologise profusely to you.
We are still clearing guitars as fast as we can we have 60 guitars in Assembly 42 in paint and another 56 in woodshop
We are getting through the guitars iby the date of the commencement of the order.
Yes that is how big the backlog goes.

I have put all orders in our production system and all of your orders are in there
the denim guitar was out of woodshop and would have been close to delivery but the fingerboard cracked.
This meant the fingerboard had to be recut, shaped, slotted and reapplied.
This guitar has just left woodshop and is now ready for paint.
It will go into paint

your build numbers are as follows

01 Blue Denim build number 0118112134MBvs (delivery date 15th of Feb)
02 Indigo Blue 7 String build number 0218112134MBvs (midway through woodshop fingerboard gluing process delivery date March 1st)
03 Archtop with f Holes build number 0218112134MBvs (Woodahop electronics route delivery date March 15th)"

Latest posts

')