The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
My guitars were so close it's not even funny. His wife should let me have them with the uninstalled hardware and cases. I could finish them up in a few days at the most.

If this ends up being a lost cause I'll be so f'ed. This is serious money for me and I could have bought a used car with that much money.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
My guitars were so close it's not even funny. His wife should let me have them with the uninstalled hardware and cases. I could finish them up in a few days at the most.

If this ends up being a lost cause I'll be so f'ed. This is serious money for me and I could have bought a used car with that much money.
I have a feeling that for people who are willing to let it go if BRJ/wife gives them their guitars in whatever state they are in....they should be more than happy to do so. That being said I'm sure legal shit will get all in the way of any simple solutions such as this.:noplease:

I genuinely feel terrible for you folks that are caught up in this shit. I hope for the best possible outcome...and you guys deserve that.

7stringkeke

Reaction score
I will fill you guys in by this weekend. As soon as I have new news on my small claims filing with BRJ I will update.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
What concerns me though is, that I have invested $12k on BRJ. What am I supposed to do now? What we the international guys can do?

Honestly, I feel so annoyed right now.

$12k and you're just annoyed? :lol:

I realize it'd be great for you to get that money back as it's no small amount, but if you can afford to drop that much on one guy with no delivery of the product in the interim, I'm thinking your lot is slightly different than the majority of the involved members. Not saying that should exclude you by any means, but you may want to take a back seat and let the "local" guys do the the proverbial leg work on the front end to see if that even goes anywhere.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
His wife should do the right thing and refund us before the medical bills take all of our money. If they don't fix this soon well be screwed, if we aren't already.

Reaction score
What's the likelyhood of even getting the money you guys are owed even if you win the lawsuits? If he is broke, he is broke. I feel so bad for all you guys. I guess this is one of the realities of dealing with a small custom company. Something like this could happen to so many of the smaller companies.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I just talked with the lawyer again. Typically they do require the president of a corp to attend a small claims court hearing. So I'm not sure what would happen if he's not out by then.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
His wife should do the right thing and refund us before the medical bills take all of our money. If they don't fix this soon well be screwed, if we aren't already.

Id assume that if you paid $400 and your guitar is sitting mostly finished in his shop, that the $400 easily went towards the woods, wood shop labor, and any parts that may have already been ordered and sitting in the shop as well.

You guys dont seem to understand that the deposits payed probably just cover the woods purchased and labor of the wood shop. If the guitars have been started and partly made then Bernie hasn't really profited one single penny yet.

As long as he's alive, it has to be in his best interest to finish these guitars, his profit is in the finished product, not the deposit. Think about it.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
^ my guitars are fully paid off and far more than 400 each, closer to 4 grand. He had me pay for them since they were so close to being done.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I think most of the BFR guys have paid off a lot more than just deposits. I can think of several people that are over 5 grand into this and many more in the 2-5 range. There are far less with just deposits than not.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Id assume that if you paid $400 and your guitar is sitting mostly finished in his shop, that the $400 easily went towards the woods, wood shop labor, and any parts that may have already been ordered and sitting in the shop as well.

You guys dont seem to understand that the deposits payed probably just cover the woods purchased and labor of the wood shop. If the guitars have been started and partly made then Bernie hasn't really profited one single penny yet.

It has to be in his best interest (as long as he's alive) to finish these guitars, his profit is in the finished product, not the deposit. Think about it.

Yeah, I'm not wanting to pull an unfinished guitar out of his shop. But I honestly have no idea whether he'll ever go back in that shop to finish. If I knew that, I'd sit pat. But no one from his business is saying boo about it, so now I'm thinking that I'd either like the wood that it bought for myself or a refund of the money. What I don't want is to let him keep it, then his family sells off the assets of the corp and uses that money for themselves. All I want is one answer: will he build my guitar. If he won't, let me have it as is or keep it and give me a refund. If he will finish building it, fine, I'll kick back and wait. But for sure SOMETHING is going to happen to the guitars in there. If Bernie or his family or his employees aren't going to choose what to do then I will. (Reminds me of "if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.")
Anyway, if bills are not getting paid at that shop the heat is going to start getting to those guitars. Someone needs to force the Rico family or business to make a call so that they can be salvaged. Having all that wood and completed builds thrown away does help us, it doesn't help Bernie, it doesn't help Terry, and it doesn't help any other creditors.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I think most of the BFR guys have paid off a lot more than just deposits. I can think of several people that are over 5 grand into this and many more in the 2-5 range. There are far less with just deposits than not.

Its that bad? So your saying that theres more finished BFR guitars in that shop than unfinished ones?

Well, I do think that its wrong to state that Bernie has come out on top for anyone who has only paid a deposit. His profit is in the finished product, not the deposit.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not wanting to pull an unfinished guitar out of his shop. But I honestly have no idea whether he'll ever go back in that shop to finish. If I knew that, I'd sit pat. But no one from his business is saying boo about it, so now I'm thinking that I'd either like the wood that it bought for myself or a refund of the money. What I don't want is to let him keep it, then his family sells off the assets of the corp and uses that money for themselves. All I want is one answer: will he build my guitar. If he won't, let me have it as is or keep it and give me a refund. If he will finish building it, fine, I'll kick back and wait. But for sure SOMETHING is going to happen to the guitars in there. If Bernie or his family or his employees aren't going to choose what to do then I will. (Reminds me of "if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.")
Anyway, if bills are not getting paid at that shop the heat is going to start getting to those guitars. Someone needs to force the Rico family or business to make a call so that they can be salvaged. Having all that wood and completed builds thrown away does help us, it doesn't help Bernie, it doesn't help Terry, and it doesn't help any other creditors.

I would assume that as long as he stays alive, its in the families best interest as well as Bernie's to finish these guitars and get him the $150,000+ in profit thats waiting for him.

I will assume that as long as hes alive, you guys have nothing to worry about in terms of eventually getting your build. Unless of course, he is simply never released. It would be nice if she could get him to address this simple concern in one of her brief scheduled visits.

Bernie knows how much cash is in that shop. Hopefully he gets his head clear, gets released, comes up with a game plan, and gets back to business. As long as hes locked up theres no telling what will happen.

I hear you on the heat temperature inside there. That could be a problem. I dont think his wife would feel comfortable going to the shop alone at this point, but I hope she or someone will at least go check on the place.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
Its that bad? So your saying that theres more finished BFR guitars in that shop than unfinished ones?

Well, I do think that its wrong to state that Bernie has come out on top for anyone who has only paid a deposit. His profit is in the finished product, not the deposit.

I'm not sure how many are paid off vs deposit only, but speaking for myself I'm paid off at about $2.1k. And while not coming out on top for everyone who paid a deposit, there are probably a few builds that haven't even started so definitely on top for those ones.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I talked to Hesperia PD, they said all mental stays are voluntary after 48 hours. They said we will all need to take him to court either jointly or individually, free lawyers are legally required to be available to us. If he is due in court, they will remove him from the institute for the hearings. I will need to make some calls tomorrow.

FYI all CC, bank, and paypal refunds are far out of timeframe so this or waiting for his potential recouperation is the only option now.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
A lawyer is the best means of accomplishing dialogue. A lawyer could possibly make a scheduled visit to where he is and go over a few things with him. Sort of converse a game plan, get a feel for where he is at. Start with no threats, just raise some concerns and get a feel.

Granted, a lawyer wants a trial or a settlement that they get a cut from. So its in their best interest to work it so that they make money. You can avoid this by paying the lawyer per visit and make it clear that there is no contingency or follow up possible. If you guys each paid like $25-50 then you could hire a damn good lawyer out of the Los Angeles area to start dialogue with him, even from inside where he is.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I talked to Hesperia PD, they said all mental stays are voluntary after 48 hours. They said we will all need to take him to court either jointly or individually, free lawyers are legally required to be available to us. If he is due in court, they will remove him from the institute for the hearings. I will need to make some calls tomorrow.

FYI all CC, bank, and paypal refunds are far out of timeframe so this or waiting for his potential recouperation is the only option now.

Free lawyers? I don't think small claims allows lawyers and I thought free lawyers were only public defendants for felonies or something.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Nope, the PD told me to consult a lawyer for how to do this. They also said if I go it alone, Bernie will have to come to my state for the court dates and could be jailed if he is a no show.

More importantly, they said he can't cop out on this.

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Free lawyers? I don't think small claims allows lawyers and I thought free lawyers were only public defendants for felonies or something.

A persons rite to a proper defense is a given in this country. That means in any court situation that a lawyer is applicable you have a rite as an american citizen to free representation (ie Public defender).:yesway:

')