The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

ovation22

Reaction score
OK guys - just wanted to toot back in here and say that the offer is still on the table. Not a soul has PM'ed me with information thus far, so I'm not sure anybody is serious about it or not, but the previous offer still remains.

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to go pick up a puppy my wife and I are rescuing to have trained to become a therapy dog. I've got a lot of prep work to do, so you guys won't hear from me until probably Sunday, at best.

Not sure how, but I sent mine to the wrong person first time. Resent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
OK guys - just wanted to toot back in here and say that the offer is still on the table. Not a soul has PM'ed me with information thus far, so I'm not sure anybody is serious about it or not, but the previous offer still remains.

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to go pick up a puppy my wife and I are rescuing to have trained to become a therapy dog. I've got a lot of prep work to do, so you guys won't hear from me until probably Sunday, at best.

:scratch: Are you a lawyer or something? What is the point of us giving you all of our information? What are you going to do with it?

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
:scratch: Are you a lawyer or something? What is the point of us giving you all of our information? What are you going to do with it?

"On a serious note - I think it would be wise to start a thread where everyone posts the following details so we can verify just how much we're looking at in terms of product not delivered by Bernie.

1. Date of order
2. Date and amounts of payments made to Bernie
3. Last contact date with Bernie

The thread would be heavily moderated and only people with builds would be allowed to post in the section. Anyone just showing up to start crap or argue would receive a lengthy break from SS.org. If we can get enough people, we may be able to have it sent to Sticky-land. PM me only AND ONLY IF you would like to provide those kind of details andhave an outstanding situation with Bernie. This way we could have a strong consolidated area to really know where we are at in terms of what BRJ has been up to with his customers."

Qweklain

Reaction score
Bernie got back to me with pictures that I requested (mine was dine prior to his most recent absence) and it looks good in pictures. However, he stated that his Credit Card Service dropped him so he can only accept checks, money orders, direct deposits to his bank, and direct bank transfers.

So when/if he calls me as I request, the only way I am doing that is if he sends the guitar to me first and I can inspect it before sending him anything. With that method of payment there is no recovering if he flakes yet again.

This hole just seems to go deeper and deeper...

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I don't know that many are willing to put that much sensitive info up for all to see, especially since it doesn't have any sort of end goal beyond giving everyone a place to look at how much money he has, which we already know.

Go ahead and start the thread, if you want to put your info on it maybe others will join. It just seems like more of the same to me and championed by those that have no stake in this.

If someone wants to actually step up, get legal counsel or get a rep to go to Bernie; I am more than willing to give them my info. Otherwise it seems like a useless endeavor.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
I've talked to him and had the same thing arose. I won't go through with any of those options so I asked if he had a Paypal account I could use my CC through. Trying to work it that way, see what happens.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh god, he can't take credit cards.... I'd be VERY wary about that. I have to agree, send the guitars to the customers first is the only way he'd get anywhere with this. With his history of taking money and dropping all communication how stupid does he think people are? And what about those that already paid in full? Not like they're popping in here to say, "Happy happy joy joy I finally received my guitars!" which would at least give people at least a tiny degree of trust that maybe they actually will receive their guitar. I guarantee though that he will refuse to ship without full payment.

Rev.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
It's not our fucking fault he has no money, but it sure as hell seems like it the way he treats people who are fully paid.

I don't know what it is with some luthiers... It seems so many of them have a god damn white whale of sorts, the one (or in this case 100) builds they just cannot complete - customers will have paid, but the guitars or basses end up sitting in the builders shop for years while other builds get done. And then they get pissed at the customers when they try to figure out wtf, like "I'm really busy! Stop bothering me, I'll get to it!". And then when that customer complains on forums, the builder throws even more of a hissy fit and sometimes even drags up unrelated personal info.

And this is somehow supposed to inspire confidence in the fucking ERG community. Theres little choice when it comes to non-standard (and not major brand custom shop prices), and I think it's too easy for shitheads to prey on the community. Be it with terrible planning and fucked up behavior (Bernie), terrible builds overall (Rotor, Invictus), burning the people who've defended you against criticism (Sherman) and so on. And the wonderful thing is, there aren't always signs that so-and-so is going to turn to shit. Smaller builders recommended by everyone today could turn into the Rico Jr.'s of tomorrow.

Lol sorry, it's been a long day and I probably shouldn't have checked the thread.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I heard from Bernie today too. He sent me some pics of my Diva that I had sent back to him because the original paint job didn't turn out exactly how I wanted.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
So here's where I'm at with my situation. As some of you know I got a 7 String Jekyll back in January 2011 and it ended up getting the wrong inlays. Bernie agreed to redo the guitar and even try to get the paint job closer to road flare red which was what I had originally ordered. (ended up being more of a Ferrari red.)

Eventually got a few updates during the whole BFR ordeal and there was plenty of issues with the paint color. So at this point I said just paint it neon pink. Received some in-progess shots of the guitar painted before hardware in Nov. '12 So it was looking close to being ready.

Bernie during this rebuild eventually gave me a offer that was hard to refuse. I could keep the current wrong version if I sent him the hardshell case , a set of pups, return shipping cost and then I would receive the new version as well for my patience. ( so basically pretty close to being a 2 for the price of 1 deal)

Well that sounded really good to me. Bought some White BKP Nailbombs ($280) from Nick at the Axe Palace, put them in the BRJ G&G case I had and shipped it down to Bernie with a check for $80 to cover return shipping. That was in December and the last I heard from him ...then, well we all know the story from here of what happened to his production.

As far as I can recall he never cashed the check.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
I got the word today that my credit card company is siding with me regarding my dispute with BRJ Guitars. The downside is, they are allowing a 45 day period for BRJ to dispute the full refund, or actually ship me my guitar. Either way, this is the most progress that I've made in months regarding this shitty situation. I'm not sure if the overall outcome will be good or bad, but at least it is some sort of progress.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
The downside is, they are allowing a 45 day period for BRJ to dispute the full refund, or actually ship me my guitar.

Well, if he disputes it then he'll have to come up with some sort of actual explanation, so at least that's something. And if your get your guitar, that's alright, is it not? (unless it's one of the... less good ones)

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
If you get the guitar and there are problems with it, notify your cc company immediately. He's not off the hook simply by getting a guitar to you. The goods have to be as expected.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
That is excellent news, congrats :yesway: Were you paid in full or just a deposit?

Rev.

Full refund. Now this does not mean shit at the moment, since they are allowing BRJ to rebuttal regarding the refund. They are allowing him 45 days to contact the CC company and make a statement, proving that he did not fail to meet our sales agreement. This means that after 45 days 1 of 4 things will happen.

I get a full refund (the preferred option at this point)

I get my guitar and its awesome

I get a guitar with flaws

BRJ finds a way to con the CC company and the process of trying to get my guitar, or money continues

I really hope that it is one of the first two options listed.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Full refund. Now this does not mean shit at the moment, since they are allowing BRJ to rebuttal regarding the refund. They are allowing him 45 days to contact the CC company and make a statement, proving that he did not fail to meet our sales agreement. This means that after 45 days 1 of 4 things will happen.

I get a full refund (the preferred option at this point)

I get my guitar and its awesome

I get a guitar with flaws

BRJ finds a way to con the CC company and the process of trying to get my guitar, or money continues

I really hope that it is one of the first two options listed.

What CC company do you have? And how long ago did you make the payments? Typically CC companies are pretty strict about only doing chargebacks within the short window of the original sale.

Latest posts

')