The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
What CC company do you have? And how long ago did you make the payments? Typically CC companies are pretty strict about only doing chargebacks within the short window of the original sale.

I'm curious about this too. That was the issue I ran into; because I waited too long on the stupid assumption that since Bernie was still putting out builds I'd get mine, by the time he stopped altogether it was well past the chargeback time and they told me to pound sand. It would be nice to know what banks are willing to go to bat like this. I was going to move to a local credit union anyways thanks to the good things I've heard, but someone could use that info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

peet

Defender of things
Reaction score
Glad to hear people are getting some response from Bernie. I've called and emailed today. Hopefully he'll be in touch. If anything I'd like to get the Bareknuckles I sent to him for my rebuild.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
What CC company do you have? And how long ago did you make the payments? Typically CC companies are pretty strict about only doing chargebacks within the short window of the original sale.

I have a Citi Bank CC. However, they only allow disputes up to 60 days after the charge is processed. I filed my dispute 10 months after the charge. I only contact BRJ through email and kept all the records. I was also able to prove from my email records, receipt, and terms/ conditions of sale, that BRJ did not follow our agreement.

I'd be more than happy to shed more insight as it comes my way, but I do not have my hopes up at this point. All I can say is that this is progress, but it does not guarantee that I am going to wind up getting things the way I want them.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Guy, sorry to divert the thread slightly, but based on the whole BRJ mess (and everyone's experience therein), which method of payment do you think protects the buyer the most in situations like this?

Walterson

Reaction score
Guy, sorry to divert the thread slightly, but based on the whole BRJ mess (and everyone's experience therein), which method of payment do you think protects the buyer the most in situations like this?

Cash on delivery, better: cash on pickup.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Cash on delivery, better: cash on pickup.

Only if you are able to give the guitar an incredibly thorough examination before handing over the money. Otherwise, if you realize after a few hours that there's something seriously wrong, you're completely out of luck. Cash is NOT the best option.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
I was thinking similar. I guess what I'm asking is what payment method has the longest window for disputes if there is a problem?

Diggi

Reaction score
I still can't get a response.

If he's back, he should lay out what is going to happen, who's next in line, what is being finished, etc.

I realize this is what others are already thinking, and what is "prudent".... I'm just hoping someone who has "his ear" is telling him something similar....

spawnsc

Reaction score
I've been furious and will continue to be until I get what I paid or get my money back. There is nothing I can do to get my money back, lawsuit would cost me more then the money I paid for the guitar. I come back to here now and then to check on progress and nothing has changed. Bernie sends a few photos out to some people to give them boners and then says send me money but sorry no credit cards since i've ....ed up and can't accept those any more. Anyone who sends him more money after all this is an idiot sorry but its true. JP i think you got more invested then any of us I hope you can figure out a way to get that money back.

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
I've been furious and will continue to be until I get what I paid or get my money back. There is nothing I can do to get my money back, lawsuit would cost me more then the money I paid for the guitar. I come back to here now and then to check on progress and nothing has changed. Bernie sends a few photos out to some people to give them boners and then says send me money but sorry no credit cards since i've ....ed up and can't accept those any more. Anyone who sends him more money after all this is an idiot sorry but its true. JP i think you got more invested then any of us I hope you can figure out a way to get that money back.

Bro, honestly, it doesn't matter if I invested more or less, it saddens me that all of us invested money on him and he is effin' lying to us and just ignores us like we are freaking 12 year olds that pulled a prank on him or whatever. It's freaking ridiculous!!!

As much as you guys feel me, I feel you too.

Who is close enough to his shop?? I am willing to pay the gas for the trip there, to see what's going on.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion... I think the time for waiting for your guitars is over. It's not worth it. He's proven he's just going to jerk people around again (as is going on now). Everyone should demand full refunds because of the lack of communication his business has provided. I think his customers have been MORE than patient by now. It's time for answers. If you don't get them. Go after your money. Screw his shady business practices!! This is not how you treat customers!

Edit: Also, the fact that he lost his rights to process credit cards isn't promising either. Just stipulating here, but I bet his business owes a lot of money. I bet his wood guy is owed a TON of cash on all those incomplete builds / re-builds.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance; but, how is it legal to ask for and receive full payment, stating that the guitar is ready to ship, and then not send anything? (something I have read multiple times while lurking this cautionary-tale thread)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance; but, how is it legal to ask for and receive full payment, stating that the guitar is ready to ship, and then not send anything? (something I have read multiple times while lurking this cautionary-tale thread)

It's not. Folks are just too........I'm not going to say it.......to do much, other than post here and talk to their cousin's son's girlfriend's friend who might know a thing or two about suing someone.

Folks need to wake up and call the authorities. This isn't just a couple hundred bucks lost anymore, it's systematic fraud. :2c:

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
It's not. Folks are just too........I'm not going to say it.......to do much, other than post here and talk to their cousin's son's girlfriend's friend who might know a thing or two about suing someone.

Folks need to wake up and call the authorities. This isn't just a couple hundred bucks lost anymore, it's systematic fraud. :2c:

QFT

You guys aren't going to get your guitars and, at this point, it's unlikely you'll see any money unless lawsuits happen. He has had more than enough time to respond to everyone that has messaged him. If he just wrote a 2 line email to everyone saying "Yes, I am alive and I am functioning in my shop again," then that would take maybe 2 minutes from opening the email, reading it, typing it, and pressing send.

He can't take credit cards. Honestly, at this point I would've given up and called my lawyer. There was no way in hell I would've sent him more money before, but now that he can't even take credit cards? The laws of reality would have to warp and become something else entirely for me to give him any sort of currency.

Get out. Pull out of everything and run away. Max has said this so many times and many of you guys have agreed, which is encouraging. I realize that for people like JPMike that this is a considerable feat to be able to do anything legal, but you have to try.

He is committing fraud. It is just that simple. There is no grey area at this point. He has promised a service, taken your money, and not provided the service and even avoided people entirely. This soap opera needs to reach its final act and just ....ing end.

Last edited:

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
This is the reasoning behind the thread that I mentioned starting earlier. It would be good to consolidate into one thread all of the guitars owed, and the money paid to BRJ so that people can really get an idea of how much this has gotten out of control.

So far I have received one email with specs and payment information, and one tip that if it turns out to be true, could be a hell of a whopper. I'm still waiting for details on that one. Basically, as Max has said, people are too chicken to actually go out and do something about this. Like I said earlier in the thread (way back), you'd think everybody who bought a guitar from the man paid for it with crack money or something. If you've nothing to lose (because guess what - there are no guitars coming) you should pursue your money. Plain and simple.

')