The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I think he probably will get things sorted out at some point. Despite all that has happened he isn't directly shafting his customers, in the sense that he is still (ostensibly) shipping everyone their guitar(s), and where mistakes were made he's still promising rebuilds. Poor communication, spec mess up and quality gaffes are hardly unique to him. But he hasn't told anyone to pound sand over it, either. If poor communication and churning out in-stock instruments while custom orders wait are sins then we have a number of high profile luthiers on here who are equally guilty. So while I'm not defending his mistakes, I am saying that the way he is going about things now is not indicative of someone who is ready to hang it up and move on. I think he'll be back as a prime time luthier, but I don't know how much time it will take.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I think he probably will get things sorted out at some point. Despite all that has happened he isn't directly shafting his customers, in the sense that he is still (ostensibly) shipping everyone their guitar(s), and where mistakes were made he's still promising rebuilds. Poor communication, spec mess up and quality gaffes are hardly unique to him. But he hasn't told anyone to pound sand over it, either. If poor communication and churning out in-stock instruments while custom orders wait are sins then we have a number of high profile luthiers on here who are equally guilty. So while I'm not defending his mistakes, I am saying that the way he is going about things now is not indicative of someone who is ready to hang it up and move on. I think he'll be back as a prime time luthier, but I don't know how much time it will take.

I agree with you to a certain extent but for him to rebuild his reputation as a high profile luthier, it will take 5-10 years mimimum IMO

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
I agree with you to a certain extent but for him to rebuild his reputation as a high profile luthier, it will take 5-10 years mimimum IMO

Honestly I don't think so. Think about it. This thread is how many pages long and people still place orders with the guy? His bull shit is nothing new. It extends back into the days when he worked for his father at B.C. Rich. My feelings are that as long as the guy still has a website people will still buy into his bullshit. I know its a paradox of which there is simply no rational explanation but sometimes there are these select few people in the world that can simply pull bullshit stunt after bullshit stunt and they keep getting away with it year after year after year. While some others are never forgiven for the slightest misstep and pushed into obscurity for eternity. I must say Ive always liked Bernie Jr. and Sr. work. But Id be lying if I said I thought either one of them was a good business man. And thats what I really think needs to happen. Someone with a sense of responsibility needs to focus on the business end and let bernie handle guitar building. Because the man apparently cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it is weird that people are putting in orders now, too. But to a certain extent I think we all have just given in to the idea that luthiers will take our money and then decide on their own terms when they'll ship us an instrument. It's basically unheard of for a luthier to deliver on time. And it's becoming more and more common for these luthiers to take a lot of orders, but then not work on the instruments, and instead build a bunch of in-stocks to sell. I don't know if this is a recent phenomenon or not, since I've only been really into customs for about 4 years. I've had my fair share of FUBAR situations with customs as well. I'm fortunate in that most of the people I am currently doing builds with (there are 5) are good at communication and don't seem to be putting my builds on the back burner.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's basically unheard of for a luthier to deliver on time.

Actually, tons of builders deliver on time. They just don't lure you in with too-good-to-be-true delivery time frames just to milk a deposit out of you.

All the most successful builders and shops will rather tell you the truth, even if it means not putting in an order, because they have the integrity for their craft to not be dishonest.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Actually, tons of builders deliver on time. They just don't lure you in with too-good-to-be-true delivery time frames just to milk a deposit out of you.

All the most successful builders and shops will rather tell you the truth, even if it means not putting in an order, because they have the integrity for their craft to not be dishonest.

My experience is that guys building more traditional guitars that aren't genre-specific tend to deliver way more on time than anyone building guitars that cater more to metal musicians. No idea why that is but it has been consistent throughout my guitar-buying history. Doesn't make sense either. No rationale for it. Just the way it has worked out.

gplayer51

Reaction score
Just got the guitar from Bernie himself today, all I can say is wow! This guitar is sweet! I'll post a proper NGD later after I play it! Here's some shitty pics lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 121

AwDeOh

Reaction score
Really glad to see some guitars finally arriving! Hoping they all arrive safely :fingerscrossed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My experience is that guys building more traditional guitars that aren't genre-specific tend to deliver way more on time than anyone building guitars that cater more to metal musicians. No idea why that is but it has been consistent throughout my guitar-buying history. Doesn't make sense either. No rationale for it. Just the way it has worked out.

Guitars catering to metal musicians are usually cheaper (to go along with the much younger demographic) and from newer builders, to go with extreme music's more recent rise in popularity.

Though, the idea of a guitar being "made for metal" is pretty silly on it's face, as any guitar can pull off any tone. Those "traditional" guitars built by Suhr can do metal just as good as any BRJ.

This is getting super off topic though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Yeah, it's my admittedly small sample size that's giving me that impression. I have a poor track record of choosing luthiers, but I think the current ones I have on commission are going to be much better.

')