The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Just got a call from Bernie. He should be sending my pickups out to me early this week. He also assures me that he's really trying to get everyone's orders sorted out. Here's hoping he can keep on top of this and deliver the goods in time. From our conversation I can pretty much guarantee that my rebuild is going to take a while longer yet. Lots of unhappy customers to settle down and guitars to be built.

My last build will take quite a while too. I also gave him time to complete the stock guitars at his own peace and not stress out about it, so other customers can get some of their guitars delivered. I just feel bad getting 3 guitars in a row and some other people not getting anything, regardless if it's 1 or 2 or 3 or even more guitars they are waiting. I deserve nothing more or nothing less than anyone in the same situation I am.

Just don't lose faith and your patience, guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
My last build will take quite a while too. I also gave him time to complete the stock guitars at his own peace and not stress out about it, so other customers can get some of their guitars delivered. I just feel bad getting 3 guitars in a row and some other people not getting anything, regardless if it's 1 or 2 or 3 or even more guitars they are waiting. I deserve nothing more or nothing less than anyone in the same situation I am.

Just don't lose faith and your patience, guys!

Pretty sure that you deserve just a slight bit of special treatment; no need to be so modest or humble in the face of your sizable investment.

mongey

Reaction score
Pretty sure that you deserve just a slight bit of special treatment; no need to be so modest or humble in the face of your sizable investment.

+1 to this. you all deserve somehting in this thread . discount, free pick up updgrade . something at least

even getting your guitars now or in 6 months you have been F'd around big time

JP Universe

Giggity
Contributor
Reaction score
After sending 4 emails I got a response from Bernie :)

I got 2 similar responses to 2 of the emails :lol: I'll probably end up keeping it provided he comes good with the guitar in 2014

killertone

Reaction score
Mine was the 7th 7 string ordered in the BF sale. I still have nothing. Not to sound like an ass but I don't care if you ordered 10 guitars there should be some sort of list to fulfill those who have been waiting longest. Call me crazy.

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Mine was the 7th 7 string ordered in the BF sale. I still have nothing. Not to sound like an ass but I don't care if you ordered 10 guitars there should be some sort of list to fulfill those who have been waiting longest. Call me crazy.

I totally agree with you! There should have been a prio list, but not sure why there isn't. I guess there are quite a few factors but can't really say what kind of.

In any case, you don't sound as an ass, your thinking is really logical and I hope you get your guitar soon!

Last edited:

killertone

Reaction score
I totally agree with you! There should have been a prio list, but not sure why there isn't. I guess there are quite a few factors but can't really say what kind of.

In any case, you don't sound as an ass, your thinking is really logical and I hope you get your guitar soon!

In any case, it is good to see guitars shipping out and people liking them. At least we have that. :yesway:

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
So the Oiled Jekyll 724 arrived today, after 2 years of waiting. I know you all expect an NGD thread but it won't be until next week. I didn't take photos or anything, but I will try to explain everything orally.

First of all, there was no issue with the Customs office, even though no value was declared.

As far as the guitar goes, there were 3 flaws, that I noticed and the 2 of them were not much of a big deal for me. First and second flaw, are 2 of the MoP side markers, 1 of their corners was a bit cut off. That didn't really bother me in any way, it was on the other side of the guitar which I won't really be seeing when I'll be playing.

The 3rd and the most serious flaw, I am not sure if it was caused in the shop or during the shipment, I believe the latter. The top point of the headstock, where the horn is, was a bit broken and like a 20-30mm chunk of wood was missing. It didn't affect the top of the headstock or the binding for my own good luck. It was cut diagonally. When I saw it was like, damn that sucks, I wouldn't mind a ding or something in the back but this!!!
Then my girlfriend was like, oh see here, and she found 3 pieces of wood, actually the ones that were broken from the point of the headstock, cause they were fitting perfectly back on the horn. It was the big piece, a small one and a really small one.

The first thing I did was strum the guitar, play a few shitty licks and then call my tech guy and ask him to go over his place to check it out, (I would be getting the guitar there anyway to change the pickups). I didn't even have the guitar for more than 5 mins and I left the house to go over my tech. Obviously, I didn't even think to take photos, I just wanted this to be repaired in no time.

He told me, it can be fixed and I shouldn't be worrying about it, he has this dude that does this kind of repairs, so it won't be something hard to pull.
So an NGD will be coming next week, with a repair and new pickups.

I'll make sure Bernie will wrap the headstock really well with bubble wrap in the next shipment. I would have easily sent an email over Bernie right now for the side marker "flaws" but really is not a biggie. I can take this, but for the broken tip of the headstock, I can't complain since I shipped uninsured.

So hang on until next week. :)

xzyryabx

Reaction score
Been trying to follow the BRJ saga for a while now, and I always wondered:
Why do any of you put up with this?!
Delays/shims/rebuilds/etc you'd think BRJ was the only luthier out there.
Why don't you just get all yur money back, claim breach of contract of just fedup or whatever, get another one of the hundreds of great (if not better) made insruments out there and enjoy playing the guitar?!
Most will be on the chopping block anyways a year or two down the road anyways it seems....
Not trying to hate, just curious as to the magical properties of these guitars and what I'm obviously missing out on!

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Why don't you just get all yur money back, claim breach of contract of just fedup or whatever, get another one of the hundreds of great (if not better) made insruments out there and enjoy playing the guitar?!
Most will be on the chopping block anyways a year or two down the road anyways it seems....
Not trying to hate, just curious as to the magical properties of these guitars and what I'm obviously missing out on!

There was a bit of a trend thingy going on like 2 years ago with BRJ, now with Mayo, Decibel, Strandberg, Daemoness basically whatever Misha plays/played. I won't lie, I fell for it but I also liked the Jekyll shape a lot.

We would have taken all our money back if we could, but it's not possible, especially when Bernie has no money to refund. Also, I got custom builds with other luthiers too as we speak so for me not only BRJ but other shops too.
I'd like some custom builds from some other companies, I haven't contacted yet but the waiting list is quite some time and I have no patience for that.

I wish things with Bernie were much easier and simpler, but *sigh* what can you do now...

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score

You-must-be-new-here.jpg

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Mike, was there a piece of wood in the case swimming around from the headstock? If not, I'd think that would have had to happen in the shop. If it's in there, it's not much better. I absolutely hate how Bernie's guitars fit in the G&G case. I've never felt comfortable with mine. I'm honestly more confident in a cheap softcase. That should tell you something. They just sit so bizarrely in the hardcases G&G makes.

ihunda

Reaction score
^I know nothing about BRJ but I cringe each time I hear about expensive, unique instruments that are not properly packaged or have cases that in now way protect them for trip on a plane or car.

We see that way too often :( :(

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
Mike, was there a piece of wood in the case swimming around from the headstock? If not, I'd think that would have had to happen in the shop. If it's in there, it's not much better. I absolutely hate how Bernie's guitars fit in the G&G case. I've never felt comfortable with mine. I'm honestly more confident in a cheap softcase. That should tell you something. They just sit so bizarrely in the hardcases G&G makes.

There were 3 pieces (like a 15 mm piece, 5 mm and 1 mm.) of wood floating around the headstock area of the case, which those are going to get glued back(repair) on the guitar. I have never had a broken part out of any instrument I ever owned in my life, so this is my first one. So it bothers me more that I didn't cause it.

I felt the guitar was somehow pushed in the G&G case, like the body was a bit bigger of the body part of the case. If you can understand what I mean.

What I don't get though, how in the hell can a piece of wood get broken off the guitar, especially behind the headstock, while in shipment. It must really felt from somewhere or they might had it thrown while in transit. Or If I can be that suspicious, maybe while B was packing it or whoever does the packing, somehow managed to hit the headstock with the case while closing it. So he just threw the pieces in and didn't tell anybody, so to seem like it happened on the way here. The scenarios are endless, but I think it will be repaired and it will look nice.

Imagine those pointy ESPs and Jacksons that have chipped tips, but on my guitar it was like being perfect on the tip and diagonally being cut/broken like cheese or something.

I should have taken photos for you to see, but the first thing was to actually get my tech to fix it.

Forgot to add, that the guitar was being in the shop since last summer waiting to be assembled and shipped. So I don't know what's up, really. I should have asked for front and back headstock photos before he had shipped.

There's no reason he couldn't throw in some bubble wrap or peanuts either.

He did, but not the right amount if you ask me. I would wrap the headstock at least 3-4 times, as I do when I ship guitars.

Last edited:

xzyryabx

Reaction score
it definitely sounds like due to the headstock angle the headstock tip was pressing right on the case, and the case must have gotten a hit on the upper end and with no space to flex the impact went straight to the headstock.

wasn't the shipping insured by BRJ when he sent it?
I would definitely contact him and work out a monetary solution, even if you decide to keep the guitar, resale value will take a hit and that shouldn't be on you.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
There were 3 pieces (like a 15 mm piece, 5 mm and 1 mm.) of wood floating around the headstock area of the case, which those are going to get glued back(repair) on the guitar. I have never had a broken part out of any instrument I ever owned in my life, so this is my first one. So it bothers me more that I didn't cause it.

I felt the guitar was somehow pushed in the G&G case, like the body was a bit bigger of the body part of the case. If you can understand what I mean.

What I don't get though, how in the hell can a piece of wood get broken off the guitar, especially behind the headstock, while in shipment. It must really felt from somewhere or they might had it thrown while in transit. Or If I can be that suspicious, maybe while B was packing it or whoever does the packing, somehow managed to hit the headstock with the case while closing it. So he just threw the pieces in and didn't tell anybody, so to seem like it happened on the way here. The scenarios are endless, but I think it will be repaired and it will look nice.

Imagine those pointy ESPs and Jacksons that have chipped tips, but on my guitar it was like being perfect on the tip and diagonally being cut/broken like cheese or something.

I should have taken photos for you to see, but the first thing was to actually get my tech to fix it.

Forgot to add, that the guitar was being in the shop since last summer waiting to be assembled and shipped. So I don't know what's up, really. I should have asked for front and back headstock photos before he had shipped.

He did, but not the right amount if you ask me. I would wrap the headstock at least 3-4 times, as I do when I ship guitars.
A friend of mine had it happen when he got his Moser guitar, a chip just broke off during shipping. Strange as Neal packs his guitars like freaking tanks. Guess sometimes it just happens.

Latest posts

')