The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Nothing, I have posted a couple msgs on the Facebook page and a pic of my painted guitar to try a get some sort of a response.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
Shoot...i thought some people were starting to get guitars...it seems like the train has de-railed once again...

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Mods: Leave or delete at your discretion...

Since I recall seeing a person or two that had successfully received a chargeback from their CC company, I figured this might be a good place to ask the following. I might be pursuing this option for a slightly different situation and was wondering what sorts of documentation they requested, what the overall timeline was, and any questions that they asked. PM me if you've got pertinent info or insight.

To the rest, here's hoping there's some sort of resolution, whether it be in hardware, a semi-complete body, or otherwise.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
Believe it or not disputes can be fought for up to 1 year after the charge, depending on the circumstance. You have to have damn good documentation though, which I was lucky enough to have, that explains why you did not file a dispute within the first 90 days of the charge. 90% of my communication with BRJ was through email. Not phone calls or texts. The email communications proved that BRJ violated our sales agreement, in addition to proving why I could not file a charge dispute within 90 days of the charge. It took 10 months of fighting with the bank and I had to file the paper work multiple times, but I never gave up. And I won.

Sadly to say if you don't have thorough documentation of the transaction, build time, reasons for delay, bullshit reasons for delay, lies, and who knows what else you've been told by BRJ documented in email, you might be screwed at this point. Best of luck to you all and I wish you the best in getting your money or guitar.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but fwiw, if you paid via amex there is a good chance that they will help you work something out re a chargeback. definitely worth a shot and you have nothing to lose. just collect all the evidence you have. they have lawyers and can afford to go after him, especially if they get enough complaints.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, +1 to the Amex. Unfortunately I used a Visa. :(
I think I'm going to file a small claims suit, though. I'm just getting sick of it, and I think I've given plenty of time and communication attempts.

CMCgtrs

CMC Guitars
Reaction score
I thought I'd let everyone know that it is game over for Bernie Rico Jr guitars. They have no money. The shop owed too much in back rent. They were forced to close it down last weekend. Bernie is still in the hospital. I don't know what happened to the guitars that he did have. My source says Terri moved some stuff back to their house, sold off some of the parts and scrapped some stuff. None of us will be getting the guitars we were owed. This sucks for everyone.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought I'd let everyone know that it is game over for Bernie Rico Jr guitars. They have no money. The shop owed too much in back rent. They were forced to close it down last weekend. Bernie is still in the hospital. I don't know what happened to the guitars that he did have. My source says Terri moved some stuff back to their house, sold off some of the parts and scrapped some stuff. None of us will be getting the guitars we were owed. This sucks for everyone.

Any actual source for this, or just piling on like everyone else?

I'm the last to defend Bernie, but you having 3 posts and spitting this out doesn't inspire a wealth of confidence in the source, y'know?

jfrey

Reaction score
Any actual source for this, or just piling on like everyone else?

I'm the last to defend Bernie, but you having 3 posts and spitting this out doesn't inspire a wealth of confidence in the source, y'know?

wat.jpg

hope that this is not true.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Yeah...while what you're saying sounds plausible (with you being a dealer he recently dealt with) we're still gonna need evidence.

There shouldn't be any secrecy needed here, if he is indeed finished. There's nothing left to maintain a secret etc.

Pascal-Darrell

Reaction score
Oh man -.- They have my bare knuckles and my guitar is also nearly finished. They really should give us the guitars as they are now. That´s the least they could do atm.
This sucks so damn hard... :(

HRC51

Reaction score

I feel sick, and my wallet robbed!

I have a picture of my guitar that is basically complete. I'll finish it and even pay for shipping. It's the least they can do.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Guys - it was just a matter of time. He was upside down on his business, his home, and was not doing any productive work as things really started going downhill.

It is pretty clear that the Rico family is not going to help you. Those of you with significant money invested (you guys that are 10 guitars deep or so) should probably seek legal council. Seriously.

CMCgtrs

CMC Guitars
Reaction score
I'm not piling on. My source is Terry and the builder who will remain nameless (due to the fact he works for another major manufacturer) that was helping them. I was trying to help Bernie and Terry by getting them some orders to help get them some cash flow to get their business going again. I did this even though I was owed guitars. And I did so because I believe in the product I quickly found out that it was a mistake for me to get involved and that the company had no chance for survival. I actually was at Bernie's shop in August and had lunch with him. So I know what the situation is. And having met with him things were actually much worse than I could have imagined. I ended up getting 4 guitars out his shop in September and October and almost got screwed on them and would have unless my friend who is the builder didn't step in. And I for a brief moment considered buying the Bernie Rico Jr guitars name and all of his stock and debt as well but as they don't even have any clear idea of how many people they owe guitars too or what their total debt is I quickly dismissed that idea. Because if I was going to take that on I'd have complete all the guitars that people are owed. I couldn't come up with a price for the shambled remains of the company without knowing the risk and full debt. And Bernie didn't even build the guitars like everyone thought. He only put the frets and hardware on the guitars and sometimes didn't do that. So the company could go on with the wood shop that Bernie used to actually build the guitars and someone who could actually run the business but there was too much of a mess and risk. And not for anything Bernie's name is so trashed I don't know if a company using that name could make it. So it is game over for them. We are all screwed. Legal action is probably the only recourse but even then they have no money and no assets. Getting blood from a stone is not going to happen. So it is a sad day. Such great guitars. Unfortunately Bernie didn't know how to run a business.

CMCgtrs

CMC Guitars
Reaction score
So, yes. Bernie's shop is officially closed and shut down. The land lord had them clear out last weekend.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Well - what about people who had guitars reported as nearly finished? Or pickups on order? Are these people just hosed out of their investments into this shit-head? Or is the situation so out of control that there's no way to even figure out what is what at this point?

')