The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

twguitar

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Theres no way that was finished by Rico the routes and fitting are awful, could well be a fake or one picked up from the builders in Mexico,

Yeah looks like an older Chibanez. (The newer Chibby's being better passable copies)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Theres no way that was finished by Rico the routes and fitting are awful, could well be a fake or one picked up from the builders in Mexico,

Towards the end they started looking pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a real body/neck/board block that was finished/completed by someone else. Wouldn't be the first one.

Not saying what it is definitively, but you can't really go by things like fit and finish.

If you take the time to look back through the thread, you'll see rough routes, poor tuner and bridge installs, sloppy finishing, drunken side dots, etc. These are all pictures sent by BRJ to customers.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Towards the end they started looking pretty bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a real body/neck/board block that was finished/completed by someone else. Wouldn't be the first one.

Not saying what it is definitively, but you can't really go by things like fit and finish.

If you take the time to look back through the thread, you'll see rough routes, poor tuner and bridge installs, sloppy finishing, drunken side dots, etc. These are all pictures sent by BRJ to customers.

I wish you could still find the pics of those awful truss rod routes that look like they were done by a beaver.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There was a guy selling a bunch of unfinished BRJs for a few hundred a pop. It was a few weeks ago. I messaged him (on eBay) about the history. He said he didn’t know about the history, but that he bought them from a guy who bought them all out of a storage unit where they had been sitting for a few years. My guess is they’re warped beyond belief, at best.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was a guy selling a bunch of unfinished BRJs for a few hundred a pop. It was a few weeks ago. I messaged him (on eBay) about the history. He said he didn’t know about the history, but that he bought them from a guy who bought them all out of a storage unit where they had been sitting for a few years. My guess is they’re warped beyond belief, at best.

By my best estimate, there were a couple hundred guitars ordered, with around 30 or 40 delivered.

We're bound to see them pop up, as they were mostly given away or sold cheap on the DL to cover debts with folks that had either enough information/close enough relationship to Bernie that he couldn't hide from them, or were local enough that they could persue real legal action.

Towards the end the quality was so inconsistent, and regardless of time period there were still problems, that most are probably not that great and/or require more work than its worth. There are plenty of builders making decent, well spec'd super strats.

The fact there are still dipshits stumping for BRJ blows my mind.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
BRJ was my first time jumping on the SSO hype wagon. I bought one in 2008 and was not impressed. Voiced my opinion here and was responded to by BRJ himself which I thought was cool. However, privately he flaked out and never rectified the situation as he made out he would here. I paid $35-3600 for a Jekyll 627 from Boogie Street. I received it bouncing around inside a case that had absolutely nothing fitting to the body. The case was just an empty rectangle. They tossed inside a few loose chunks of felt covered foam to hopefully cushion the edges. The boost switch was broken off in transit. The guitar had chrome hardware but they tossed in a gold trem arm for a little extra fuck you. The guitar itself was mahogany body, ebony fretboard supposedly maple neck (the neck was painted solid black from headstock tip to strap button so none of the neck wood was visible) quilt top with transparent black top and natural back of the body wings. I had just come off an ESP custom shop KH4 so I was expecting perfection. Never could get the action as low without fretting out and buzzing. The paint lines were not crisp or straight. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth so I sold it at a huge loss to a guy in Asia. He wanted me to mark it as a gift and skip insurance to ship it as cheap as possible and avoid customs fees. It ended up taking four months to get there and of course the case made sure it was damaged some more.

Tl;Dr
I was a BRJ hater years before it was cool. When the YouTube djenters were going crazy hyping his shit a couple of years later, I thought maybe I just had bad luck the first time. Really glad I didn't waste any more money there.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Its a fake, there were quite a few of those about a few years ago and I bought one out of interest. It was a pile of shite !

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Its a fake, there were quite a few of those about a few years ago and I bought one out of interest. It was a pile of shite !

So if it was a pile of shite, it was an accurate copy then? :p

I remember when Merrow started using BRJ's back in the day and lusting hard for the white 7 he used to have. Before the Dark Times. Before the War...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So if it was a pile of shite, it was an accurate copy then? :p

I remember when Merrow started using BRJ's back in the day and lusting hard for the white 7 he used to have. Before the Dark Times. Before the War...

Before he chose to get free guitars over helping hundreds of customers......

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
There are a few B.C. Rich groups on Facebook I belong too, anyhow there is a guy selling "good" almost complete BRJ guitars. He was asking about 2k before he has them completed and then about 3500 or more after. He had quite a few, over 10. I'm sure there were a bunch of guitars from owed customers.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There are a few B.C. Rich groups on Facebook I belong too, anyhow there is a guy selling "good" almost complete BRJ guitars. He was asking about 2k before he has them completed and then about 3500 or more after. He had quite a few, over 10. I'm sure there were a bunch of guitars from owed customers.

You need to call him on it. Not to get all philosophical, but, to paraphrase Edmund Burk, the only thing needed for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing. As far as I'm concerned, people selling these BRJs are either complicit, or knowingly selling stolen guitars. I've encountered 3 different sources selling old BRJs, and each time I called them out on it. On two occasions (music stores) they returned them to the consigner and said they didn't want to be a party to it. At the very least, we need to stick up for each other so this sort of shit doesn't happen again.

In fact, what group did you see that? I wanna go check it out myself.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say it's too far down the line now.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Before he chose to get free guitars over helping hundreds of customers......
Yeah, it's interesting because a few weeks ago he made a post on FB about how much he hated a company (I think it was sweetwater?) because he said they screwed him over or something, and he only likes working with companies that support musicians, rather than just try to make money at their expense, or something like that. I almost commented, but I don't know that I have all the info on it to start a flame war. (As a guy who was screwed over by BRJ, I am still feeling the sting of that, though!)

')