The BRJ Black Friday Thread (Only for updates for/by customers.)[Ad Free]

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I emailed him for an update and he apologized for the long wait and said its getting close. No specific date, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
You guys should all just give Bernie a break! Let the man have a life! He knows whats going on and hes not gonna start slacking just because people stop calling and emailing him. I honestly dont think it helps to bug him so much. Just let the man do his job. Hes getting shit done, its just taking longer than expected but honestly thats the norm with a swamped custom shop. Just let him do what he does and everyones guitars will be done ASAP! Say what you want and do what you want but thats just what I would do, wait that is what Im doing! Ive got two builds with him and Im relaxed about it. No stress here.

Locrian

Reaction score
You guys should all just give Bernie a break! Let the man have a life! He knows whats going on and hes not gonna start slacking just because people stop calling and emailing him. I honestly dont think it helps to bug him so much. Just let the man do his job. Hes getting shit done, its just taking longer than expected but honestly thats the norm with a swamped custom shop. Just let him do what he does and everyones guitars will be done ASAP! Say what you want and do what you want but thats just what I would do, wait that is what Im doing! Ive got two builds with him and Im relaxed about it. No stress here.

I'm not stressed, just want to know the status of my build. I've been asking for an update for about 8 months now. I check in every one or two months and ask for an update on my build, and get told I'll hear something soon. I still have absolutely no idea what stage my guitar is in, if it's even started or if it's about to be finished, no clue whatsoever. I'm not in a rush, just would like some kind of information so I can figure out if I need to hold on to some cash, or if I can waste it on hookers and blow or whatever. I certainly don't harass the guy.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

How long have you been waiting for your builds?

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not stressed, just want to know the status of my build. I've been asking for an update for about 8 months now. I check in every one or two months and ask for an update on my build, and get told I'll hear something soon. I still have absolutely no idea what stage my guitar is in, if it's even started or if it's about to be finished, no clue whatsoever. I'm not in a rush, just would like some kind of information so I can figure out if I need to hold on to some cash, or if I can waste it on hookers and blow or whatever. I certainly don't harass the guy.

Totally makes sense and I agree that its too bad that he cant just give a simple status update. Unfortunately I dont think its such a simple task for him. Obviously right?? I mean, 200 people checking in once every month or two over a 10 month time period is 20-40 people potentially checking in every 4 weeks or so, not to mention the daily pricing and new customer inquiries, the people who email several times and then the people he is actually communicating with already. Ive been to his shop and seen his office. He has a file on every single build and rows and rows of hundreds of guitars. Obviously he doesnt know whats up off the top of his head. He would have to drop everything hes doing at the time he reads your email, find your file and then locate and find out whats up with it. Then after he has located your file from 200 of them, and then checked in with his wood shop guys and hear back from them, he then has to write that shit down and then go to the computer and find your email after probably getting 100 more emails since then, and email you back about it. By the time he even checks on your build he has probably gotten 100 other emails to sort through. And while dealing with all of this stuff lets not forget what he does best which is actually work on the guitars! He has to work on guitars too! He knows he took too many orders. He told me himself that hes aware of whats going on. Hes workin hard! Its not like hes gonna just hit you up and say OK your build is done, you have 3 days to make payment or it gets sold! :lol:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
How long have you been waiting for your builds?

Both are Black friday builds. I actually visited the man at his shop when we were on tour in October and one was in woodshop. That was 4 months ago. He asked me what color I wanted it to be about 2 months ago and emailed me about knob placement 4 weeks ago. All of this is because I was unable to decide on specs right away. My second build I bought into and we haven't even nailed final specs for it yet.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I kind of feel the same way. I sat silent for the first year or so with my non BFR custom, and he reached out to me because it needed to be rebuilt. My status updates started when others who ordered after mine got theirs, and I wanted to make sure mine wasn't lost in the mix. My personal opinion is that he (and many luthiers) should hire a part time high school student, or get a work study intern, to take photos and phone calls, etc. Because I agree - I would rather he work on guitars than talk to customers. But he does seem to like that, so that might be his preference.

Locrian

Reaction score
Didn't really mean for my posts to come off negative at all. I'm honestly stoked to be getting a guitar from the guy, and have no problem even if I have to wait another year for it. I run a small business myself, I get to experience all the fun of that firsthand all the time. Just the tiniest of tiny updates in the world on the status of it would work for me.

toiletstand

/\'...'/\
Reaction score
from Bernie's Facebook:

Earlier this evening Bernie Rico Jr. was informed that his Grandmother has passed away. This is a very sad day for the Rico family. Due to this tragedy Bernie will temporarily be unavailable attending to this family matter. In advance he thanks you for your understanding during this very difficult time.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
from Bernie's Facebook:

Earlier this evening Bernie Rico Jr. was informed that his Grandmother has passed away. This is a very sad day for the Rico family. Due to this tragedy Bernie will temporarily be unavailable attending to this family matter. In advance he thanks you for your understanding during this very difficult time.

Sorry for his loss, he must have a lot of things going on right now.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Like others have said above, I've emailed him maybe once every couple of months so far, first time was to change a spec, second to see if my build was REALLY going be done by May.

First time he was super responsive, second time he didn't email back at all til a week later when I asked again when he emailed straight back saying he was out and he'd get back to me. As I doubt I'll get a guitar in May ill email him again in April cos I might be in Cali in August so I'll talk about maybe going and saying hi.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to get through to him via email. Best bet is probably still to call, although I received an email on friday from him asking me to call him about my guitar.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Update! Just got this in the email from Bernie. It's going to have a blackburst top with gloss and natural, tung oiled back and sides. That's my favorite BRJ finish combo.

photo.jpg

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
Photo Update! I am loving the figuring on this! :hbang:

I really hope I am seeing correctly when i see a hint of figuring on the fretboard! :yum:

6787482230_22362598d2_z.jpg

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
The pics of my guitar showed some figuring on the board as well, really nice stuff.

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got an update pic today also !! WOOT !!!
Going to be a Natural high gloss finish
RicoUpdate.jpg

VILARIKA

Reaction score
Glad to see people are getting pic updates, hope to get mine soon also. Did he include any more info on your order besides the pic? Estimated completion date?

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
^^ no further info, just a picture. he did ask if there were any questions so i shot him a few about completion time and such.

Latest posts

')