The Caparison Owner's Group! Let's see them!

• Thread starter engage757
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The 1

Reaction score
How do these compare to, say, MusicMan? No way for me to try one, but I was digging the FX-AM series. They are VERY expensive however for barebones guitars.

MusicMan are my reference in terms of tone, quality, and range, so figured I'd ask the experts on here and particularly those who have had both brands :)

I had a Horus FX-AM for a while. I thought it was great guitar but ultimately sold it off because I didn't think it was anything particularly special.

Very comfortable, slick neck
Perfect fretwork and finish

But as you said, it's pretty barebones so nothing that stood out. I didn't find it any better or worse than a MusicMan (I'd say quality-wise they're in the same range). I also personally found no use for the extra 27 frets on the Horus (the upper frets are super tiny), and I prefer a normal humbucker on a 22/24 fret to the rail humbucker on the Horus.

I'd say if it happens to have the features you want, you'll probably love it. But I don't think you're missing out on anything compared to MusicMan.

Edit: I'll also mention that I try to keep my collection to a minimum, If I were to keep several guitars around I probably would keep a Caparison.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CircuitalPlacidity

Carnivorous Jesus
Reaction score
The thing with the horus is I think the ones with the Schaller trem are great. The fixed bridge ones, well, you're probably better off going with something else.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Looks even better with the ebony board

2n8oqh4.jpg

Reaction score
I would love to one day own a Horus model, I'm super into the body shape and headstock design. I want to ask people if they honestly think that the guitars are worth the price tag, or are they over priced??

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
View attachment 53471
I would love to one day own a Horus model, I'm super into the body shape and headstock design. I want to ask people if they honestly think that the guitars are worth the price tag, or are they over priced??

They are great guitars. Definitely not breaking the mold as far as shape is concerned, but they have one of the best headstock designs ever, ridiculously comfy necks, and are well built instruments. They are pretty basic as far as controls and layouts, so it's not uncommon to dream about one, get one, play the hell out of it for a year, and sell it to fund something new and shiny. They aren't magical, just solid guitars. Its kind of subjective to ask if it's worth the price, but if you want a guitar that sets up easily and stays in tune, and above all, sounds great? I think they're worth it.

I'll even (barely) contribute a terrible photo of my TAT

Attachments

• IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    604.7 KB · Views: 59
Reaction score
View attachment 53471

They are great guitars. Definitely not breaking the mold as far as shape is concerned, but they have one of the best headstock designs ever, ridiculously comfy necks, and are well built instruments. They are pretty basic as far as controls and layouts, so it's not uncommon to dream about one, get one, play the hell out of it for a year, and sell it to fund something new and shiny. They aren't magical, just solid guitars. Its kind of subjective to ask if it's worth the price, but if you want a guitar that sets up easily and stays in tune, and above all, sounds great? I think they're worth it.

I'll even (barely) contribute a terrible photo of my TAT

Yeah I guess it's one of those guitars that if you really want it, you'll cash out the $$$ for it no matter how expensive haha, but I've heard great things about them so I'd have to play one to truly "get it" :bowdown:

Dyingsea

Reaction score
I've had Horus gas for a while now. Something about short scale 24 fretters get me or in this case 27 frets.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I've had Horus gas for a while now. Something about short scale 24 fretters get me or in this case 27 frets.

They're great guitars. And yeah, the short scale makes them an absolute breeze to play. It makes me sound like a better guitarist than I am, haha.

I actually really like the FX-AM. It's super tight and punchy sounding, with lots of clarity. Something about that ash and maple sandwich body I think, combined with the scale length. My Caparison Brocken, with the same pickups, sounds totally different.

On the other hand The Horus M3 (with Floyd) was a bit weak sounding to me. It lacked balls. The stock pickups from Caparison aren't the thickest or most powerful, and when you have the Floyd bridge the sound gets a bit thin overall. I guess that's why the new Courtney Cox model has some Floyd upgrades (big block etc), as does the M3b "super Horus" (plus a new hotter pickup for the M3b).

sunnyd88

Reaction score
instagram they just posted a headstock of a 5 string bass with ‘Brocken’ on the headstock

So a baritone bass perhaps?
Looks like it has a rosewood fretboard so I'm already not that interested. That being said, the Brocken/Horus shape will look incredible in bass form. However, I'm not a big fan of how the Caparison devil's tail headstock looks in bass form.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The color's great but FYI none of these colored ash finishes look nearly as good in person as they have in the promo shots.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
The color's great but FYI none of these colored ash finishes look nearly as good in person as they have in the promo shots.

I've seen a couple of last years, and they're very hit and miss

Some looked great. Some looked like trash.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
Late to the party - but here I am. I got this last year:

dJx8SWg.jpg

I'm extremely happy with it. The thing that noone told me to expect was the neck angle - the Floyd sort of sits on top of the body, but it's still able to pull up, because the body itself curves away from the neck. It feels almost like a Les Paul in that regard. It's seriously got me hankering for another Caparison, because it's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

')