The Caparison Owner's Group! Let's see them!

• Thread starter engage757
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
The TAT Special is such a fantastic design. Think I’ve seen your videos on YouTube, awesome job

For anyone interested, this is how Caparison setup their TAT and Dellinger models

images

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
Yes, that's it exactly - didn't know it was exclusive to the TAT models! Thanks for the graphic :) Also, thanks for recognizing me, that's slightly mindblowing and also awesome!

Reaction score
Question about experience with newer Caparison guitars.

I have a 1997 Red Sunset TAT. It's perfect in every way. I'm almost afraid to play it, it's like a work of art.

I recently bought a custom line limited run that was done for a dealer. Brand new. ~$2k. The guitar was shockingly dogshit. Horrible fretwork. Came in a gig bag. Promptly returned it.

Is this the norm with Caparisons these days? I can't believe you don't even get a hardshell case anymore.

Samark

Reaction score
Can’t comment too much, but the CL10 Horus I had was outstanding. But, that’s a decade ago so...

Did you have one of the Burl/Quilt Dellingers?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have a 1997 Red Sunset TAT. It's perfect in every way. I'm almost afraid to play it, it's like a work of art.

I recently bought a custom line limited run that was done for a dealer. Brand new. ~$2k. The guitar was shockingly dogshit. Horrible fretwork. Came in a gig bag. Promptly returned it.

Is this the norm with Caparisons these days? I can't believe you don't even get a hardshell case anymore.

It sounds like you got an exceptionally bad one, but from what I've played over the last decade, Caparison don't get really good until you hit the $4k mark. All the cheaper ones have left a lot to be desired as far as fit and finish, for the price.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm yet to play a bad one, and the less stellar stuff I've found over the years was either poor maintenance or wonky setups from the guitars' owners rather than factory issues. Evidently, this is fully anecdotal, as many as they may have been (I still own 5 of my own and let a few go), and I've found the more recent stuff to be better built than the earlier examples when it comes to neck stability and consistency in between examples.

As for gig bags, if you mean the Reunion Blues stuff, they are actually sturdier than your regular HSC and far more expensive, unless it's something else, which wouldn't really be the standard for Caparison.

Also, CL new for 2k? o_O

Reaction score
Did you have one of the Burl/Quilt Dellingers?

It was a Dellinger but not a burl or quilt.

Caparison don't get really good until you hit the $4k mark.

This is what I suspected. I must be getting old, since in my mind I still see $2k as high-level instrument tier. Guess that just isn't the case anymore.

As for gig bags, if you mean the Reunion Blues stuff, they are actually sturdier than your regular HSC and far more expensive, unless it's something else, which wouldn't really be the standard for Caparison.

Also, CL new for 2k? o_O

Yes it was a RB bag. It might just be prejudice from growing up having expensive guitars come in hardshell cases. Just seems odd to get a soft bag, even if it's a high quality deluxe one. I'll take a hardshell any day.

As for the price, it was a special dealer run, so maybe it wasn't a "true" CL?

All of this to say I'm not trying to shit on Caparison, I was just bummed to receive this instrument. I want to see them succeed. My TAT is one of the sickest super strats I've ever played.

Dyingsea

Reaction score

Was it from the C2 line? Curious as to how the C2 line compares with the standards as they are supposedly just a stripped down model but same quality.

JoeChugs

Reaction score
Was it from the C2 line? Curious as to how the C2 line compares with the standards as they are supposedly just a stripped down model but same quality.

The handful I've played have felt cheap and uninspiring.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Yes it was a RB bag. It might just be prejudice from growing up having expensive guitars come in hardshell cases. Just seems odd to get a soft bag, even if it's a high quality deluxe one. I'll take a hardshell any day.

From my experience, the RB stuff is more reliable than the HSCs in terms of protection, assuming the customary more resilient version. I can perfectly understand feeling iffy about them, though - when I first saw the things I was in firm "yeah, I don't know about this..." territory, but I was fortunately proven wrong.

As for the price, it was a special dealer run, so maybe it wasn't a "true" CL?

All of this to say I'm not trying to shit on Caparison, I was just bummed to receive this instrument. I want to see them succeed. My TAT is one of the sickest super strats I've ever played.

Custom Lines are very expensive yearly editions comprising a single model in their line with deluxe appointments, and as far as I'm aware there have never been dealer requested versions - Itaru chooses specs and base model and that's really what will come out as that year's CL. Dealer specials and the like vary a bit in spec (especially since you have some wild Japanese market runs on occasion), and the pricing would suggest something like the old GP run which was a Dellinger with stained body and with the FX AM as the template (this model, for reference), but I haven't seen it. As for any kind of suspicion of you trying to shit on Caparison, quite the opposite, man - I'm just really surprised a dud would have made it past inspection in this day and age!

Reaction score
Well, it definitely had CL\custom line on the headstock. Supposedly each of these are individually inspected by Itaru before they leave the factory. Very bewildering.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
I’ve had 4 Caparisons so far, and still have 2. The 2 I kept are a TAT Special FX and a TAT Special CL14. Both are outstanding instruments. The 2 I got rid of were another TAT Special FX and the Adam D sig. only reason I let them go were because they were black and I’m not a black guitar person. But all were stellar.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Gorgeous. I love that the CL instruments have a matching headstock, something I wish more Capas had!

Yea, but sadly so few of the CL series got highly figured headstocks AND bodies. If you had a great headstock, it's likely you had a pretty "meh" body and vice versa. And honestly, how hard is it to get nice figure on a thin veneer the size of a headstock? Drives me nuts.

When done right, really incredible though:

xr2nvwee3xpqzo7482ot.jpg

Samark

Reaction score
I’ve had 4 Caparisons so far, and still have 2. The 2 I kept are a TAT Special FX and a TAT Special CL14. Both are outstanding instruments. The 2 I got rid of were another TAT Special FX and the Adam D sig. only reason I let them go were because they were black and I’m not a black guitar person. But all were stellar.

Exquisite taste, I see.

full

full

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
Really interesting how similar the shapes are between these two guitars. Aside from the lower horn, they really match up very well. Even the headstock on the 7 strings has the same basic layout, 3 up, 4 down, with the tilt in the same direction. No wonder I like both of these designs.

I've been in the market for a seven string Broderick in trans black for a while now, but they're rare as unicorns on the used market and I can't find anyone who'll quote me a new one - the waiting lists are apparently through the roof.

Carcaridon

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a seven string Broderick in trans black for a while now, but they're rare as unicorns on the used market and I can't find anyone who'll quote me a new one - the waiting lists are apparently through the roof.
I’m the same. I want an HT6 Broderick in trans black. I’ve seen one overseas but nothing in the US and never on the used market. I actually sold my Floyd Broderick’s and replaced with HT6’s. Love them. My favorite production guitar.

')