The Caparison Owner's Group! Let's see them!

• Thread starter engage757
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
Hey, that's my turf.

Narad! Were you the one who posted in a FB Group that you have a Caparison Angelus for sale here in Tokyo? I'm here too, and talked to someone last year about possibly snaggin it from them. Let me know if that was you!

sunnyd88

Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty cool and all but I think it's gonna be a super hard sell. It's $4200, no stainless steel frets or locking tuners. It's got a super expensive 5A flame maple top but you can barely see the top because the trans white color is pretty opaque. You can only see a very tiny bit of flame and most of the flame only shows up in the natural reveal binding. It's also got that M3 body but it's also set-thru which is more complicated and expensive than just simply doing a neck through I assume. I think the prototype he's playing in the demo video on the website has a completely solid white paint job and the 5A top only shows through the binding. So yeah, I think this guitar is gonna be a super tough sell, much like the ultra expensive Cazqui Orbit. Many people think it looks cool, I do too, but who's gonna be able to shell out $4200 and barely be able to see that super expensive 5A flame maple top? Tbh it's kind of a waste of nice flame maple. I get it's what the artist wanted but they really should've gone with a plain maple top, neck-through, stainless steel frets, and locking tuners at around $3200 and they would've sold like hot cakes.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah it's pretty cool and all but I think it's gonna be a super hard sell. It's $4200, no stainless steel frets or locking tuners. It's got a super expensive 5A flame maple top but you can barely see the top because the trans white color is pretty opaque. You can only see a very tiny bit of flame and most of the flame only shows up in the natural reveal binding. It's also got that M3 body but it's also set-thru which is more complicated and expensive than just simply doing a neck through I assume. I think the prototype he's playing in the demo video on the website has a completely solid white paint job and the 5A top only shows through the binding. So yeah, I think this guitar is gonna be a super tough sell, much like the ultra expensive Cazqui Orbit. Many people think it looks cool, I do too, but who's gonna be able to shell out $4200 and barely be able to see that super expensive 5A flame maple top? Tbh it's kind of a waste of nice flame maple. I get it's what the artist wanted but they really should've gone with a plain maple top, neck-through, stainless steel frets, and locking tuners at around $3200 and they would've sold like hot cakes.

Caparison treats signature models like this sort of like how ESP does the exhibition models.

They know they're not going to sell many, mainly to diehard Caparison players and fans of the artist, but they'll also shift more folks to the regular line.

How many Applehorn 8s do they move?

Besides, no one shopping Caparison cares about "value". :lol:

sunnyd88

Reaction score
Caparison treats signature models like this sort of like how ESP does the exhibition models.

They know they're not going to sell many, mainly to diehard Caparison players and fans of the artist, but they'll also shift more folks to the regular line.

Good point, especially with the applehorn 8. They definitely should've made a more affordable 6 string version. However, the CC Horus and the Killswitch engage models are decently priced, around $3k-$3.5k. The main thing that kills me the most is that you can barely see the 5A flame maple top that's super expensive and increasingly rare. Kills me every time I see PRS paint a nice flame maple top with a solid color paint job. Plus in my state the sales tax is 10 percent, so the new Angelus would cost something more like $4620...

sunnyd88

Reaction score

Darn it, you kinda got me with the point about no one shopping Caparison cares about value....you do make a good point about that too lol

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good point, especially with the applehorn 8. They definitely should've made a more affordable 6 string version. However, the CC Horus and the Killswitch engage models are decently priced, around $3k-$3.5k. The main thing that kills me the most is that you can barely see the 5A flame maple top that's super expensive and increasingly rare. Kills me every time I see PRS paint a nice flame maple top with a solid color paint job. Plus in my state the sales tax is 10 percent, so the new Angelus would cost something more like $4620...

Highly figured maple is neither expensive or rare.

You can grab "5A" (which is a completely arbitrary grading system) maple billet for <$150 at retail. It's even cheaper bought in bulk directly from the mill.

As for rarity, look at how many companies use it on tons of guitars, PRS, ESP, Gibson, Kiesel, Suhr, Anderson, etc. make thousands of guitars a year with it.

feilong29

Reaction score
I wouldn't want it because of the floyd rose, but I had to look a few times to spot the flame top. I used to be a die-hard Caparison fanboy, but the prices they want are usually outrageous and usually only can sell/trade with other Capa-heads. Good for Nick though. I would settle for an older Angelus instead.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I love trans-white but you can't contrast it with natural binding -- it just highlights how milky is. Trans-black binding + ebony board would have been sick. Trans-black top would have been sick. It's very easy to be a bit flexible on some of these specs, but it's Caparison -- a company that went bankrupt once and came out of it just as self-destructive as before.

sunnyd88

Reaction score
Highly figured maple is neither expensive or rare.

You can grab "5A" (which is a completely arbitrary grading system) maple billet for <$150 at retail. It's even cheaper bought in bulk directly from the mill.

As for rarity, look at how many companies use it on tons of guitars, PRS, ESP, Gibson, Kiesel, Suhr, Anderson, etc. make thousands of guitars a year with it.
Hmm I don't doubt that it's not expensive or rare at retail but the companies that are actually building these guitars are charging $500, $1000, $2000 for a nice piece of flame maple and the flame maple veneers that they use for their production guitars look super super lame and non-figured these days which makes me assume that flame maple is getting rarer or these companies are penny pinching.

narad

Reaction score
Hmm I don't doubt that it's not expensive or rare at retail but the companies that are actually building these guitars are charging $500, $1000, $2000 for a nice piece of flame maple and the flame maple veneers that they use for their production guitars look super super lame and non-figured these days which makes me assume that flame maple is getting rarer or these companies are penny pinching.

Or just exploiting the market.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

There are other associated costs that bring the price up such as the actual application of the top, proper bookmatching, proper finishing, and the risk involved if there winds up being a problem half way through either process.

The material itself is not expensive (big picture, it's still more expensive than non/low figure billet, and veneer is practically free when purchased by the roll) or rare. But you're not paying for materials, you're paying for a guitar.

All I'm saying, don't feel bad about covering tops because you're not sacrificing something rare.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, especially for a Caparison! Now if it were a Dellinger carve top with the black clocks, I may just buy another Caparison

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

That’s because it’s been successfully marketed as something valuable. And applying that grading system, designating things as ‘5A’, master grade’, ‘10 top’ etc is just another marketing ploy.

The veneers are cheaper because they can use a super thin piece and it’s easy to stamp it onto the guitar. And if they looks lame, it’s because the manufacturers decided to use bland pieces of wood. Again, need to differentiate their product lines if they want you to stump up $1,000+ premium for a ‘5A’ figured top.

Maple is one of the most abundant woods on the entire planet. There absolutely nothing fancy about it.

sunnyd88

Reaction score
That’s because it’s been successfully marketed as something valuable. And applying that grading system, designating things as ‘5A’, master grade’, ‘10 top’ etc is just another marketing ploy.

The veneers are cheaper because they can use a super thin piece and it’s easy to stamp it onto the guitar. And if they looks lame, it’s because the manufacturers decided to use bland pieces of wood. Again, need to differentiate their product lines if they want you to stump up $1,000+ premium for a ‘5A’ figured top.

Maple is one of the most abundant woods on the entire planet. There absolutely nothing fancy about it.
Right, but I mean Caparison does use very nicely figured flame maple tops, so I think the 5A designation is earned but I saw that something like only 1 percent of maple trees end up yielding flame maple so it sounds very rare but I guess 1 percent of let's say 100 million maple trees is still a million with flaming. Either way, scalping guitar players seems to be the name of the game in the guitar industry these days.

kisielk

Reaction score
Honestly today I noticed that the $10 rolling pin in my kitchen has nicer figuring than some supposed 5A maple tops I've seen, it's all just marketing...

narad

Reaction score
Honestly today I noticed that the $10 rolling pin in my kitchen has nicer figuring than some supposed 5A maple tops I've seen, it's all just marketing...

You can get the most outrageously figured maple pen handle for cheap. It's slightly more complicated to great figuring across the entire dimension and thickness of a guitar...

')