The Caparison Owner's Group! Let's see them!

• Thread starter engage757
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feilong29

Reaction score
Thought I would post this info here as well:

How to date your Caparison by serial number

by Capari-san » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:26 pm
I missed the post a few days ago about how to exactly date your Caparison. As you know, some models don't have a serial number, but most do. Some production models didn't get a serial number (a few years back more common), Custom guitars sometimes have serial numbers, but some don't.

Anyways, here's how to date your Caparison if it has a 7 digit serial number:

Example From my 2006 Horus:

Serial number: 1110328

The first digit "1" is sort of a baseline number. "1" should be the first number in serial number if the guitar was made in 1997 or later. 6 digit serial numbers were usued through the 90's and into the early 2000's.

The next 2 numbers, when looking at a 7 digit serial number, ( 1-11-0328 ) represent the years past 1995. This was the year Caparison first started making guitars. So, 1995 plus 11 years equals 2006. Those two numbers are the real key to figuring out the date of production. Just add those 2 numbers to 1995, and you will arrive at the year your guitar was made.

The last 4 numbers are the total guitars made up to that point in the year. So, my Horus was the 328th guitar made that year.

If you have an old Horus or TAT (Iceberg or Red Sunset serial number stamped on fretboard past 24th fret) it may be from 1995. There are only 6 digits in the serial number. If it is a 1995 model, the first two digits in serial number will read "00" or possibly no serial number. Also, All of those old Icebergs and Sunsets you see have a good chance of being second year models. 1996 will read "01" in the first digits. 1996 was the first year they really started pushing the brand.

For 2007 made guitars: My new TAT custom serial number is 1120657. It was one of the last models finished at the factory in 2007 (December). "12" in serial number is 12 years past 1995. That equals made in 2007 and the 657th guitar produced that year.

You may sometimes also come across a model that was actually made in say, 2006, but wasn't released until 2007. Early production models, Namm Show, Yokohama Instrument Fair display models etc. These may have serial numbers from late in the previous year, even though they are presented as next year models. Sometimes there are factory run overs into the next year.

Thanks for this bro! Mine was made in 2007 and was the 18th one made that year :D

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
You all best only be playing Killswitch and Soilwork tunes on these bad boys :D

jahosy

Reaction score
YEEEAAAH buddy! :hbang:

Thanks mate!!

I'm only left with the TAT as of today.... both Angelus were sold :(

Would have loved to keep the trans blue, but the old-dinosaur in me just couldn't adjust to it....

now awaiting another Mayones Regius 6!! Yipeee!!! :D

fortisursus

Reaction score
Biggest mistake of my life, selling my caparison dellinger. Maybe someday I'll step up and grab a TAT. Their finishes are always so unique.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
Just got my TAT II this afternoon. Called off plans to see a movie with the woman tonight. I will also call off plans for Sunday lunch tomorrow.

Just me and you, Capa. Nobody will ever understand the love between us, and although we may be destined for hard times, we'll get through it as long as we have each other*

*nobody is allowed to link this post if I ever decide to sell it

mat091285

Reaction score
Opps! an Angelus 24! :drew:

tumblr_majzfa6Aqh1qdiel2o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_majzfa6Aqh1qdiel2o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_majzfa6Aqh1qdiel2o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_majzfa6Aqh1qdiel2o4_1280.jpg

jahosy

Reaction score
ahhh so you got this! Was very tempting when it went for sale :)

')