The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here since we're all musicians and have probably loaded up our cars with gear before, haven't been in this thread before so Hi!

Anyone got any recommendations for cars that hold a lot for us musicians? Looking at getting a new car (used) that I can fit most of my bands stuff in, need to get two keyboards, two guitars at least, small amp rack case (Just a kemper) maybe some drum stuff. And it's still be nice to fit most of my band in.

Not eligible to drive a van (Yet anyway, UK laws) so thats out of the question, looking at estates seeing a lot of Jag X-types, and BMW 3 series around me just now, just wanna know if there are any hidden gems out there I should be looking for, or looking for something entirely different.

£1500/$2000

jaxadam

Reaction score
Figured I'd ask here since we're all musicians and have probably loaded up our cars with gear before, haven't been in this thread before so Hi!

Anyone got any recommendations for cars that hold a lot for us musicians? Looking at getting a new car (used) that I can fit most of my bands stuff in, need to get two keyboards, two guitars at least, small amp rack case (Just a kemper) maybe some drum stuff. And it's still be nice to fit most of my band in.

Not eligible to drive a van (Yet anyway, UK laws) so thats out of the question, looking at estates seeing a lot of Jag X-types, and BMW 3 series around me just now, just wanna know if there are any hidden gems out there I should be looking for, or looking for something entirely different.

£1500/$2000

Definitely a lifted Tundra Crewmax. Great gas mileage, too.

5b0bec243e039c821b0f5dd07da3cfab.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
my Tacoma swallows an entire band's worth of gear including two 4x12s, bass cab and a 5 piece drum kit, and it's only an extended cab. You gotta load it really carefully to get all that stuff in there but it does work. Dunno if that helps you in Scotland though, and you definitely aren't getting a 3rd gen Tacoma for <$2K hahah.

but an old little truck is going to haul more and be easier to work on and maintain than any BMW. Jaguar X Types should be avoided at all costs.

cip 123

Reaction score
my Tacoma swallows an entire band's worth of gear including two 4x12s, bass cab and a 5 piece drum kit, and it's only an extended cab. You gotta load it really carefully to get all that stuff in there but it does work. Dunno if that helps you in Scotland though, and you definitely aren't getting a 3rd gen Tacoma for <$2K hahah.

but an old little truck is going to haul more and be easier to work on and maintain than any BMW. Jaguar X Types should be avoided at all costs.

Trucks are a little expensive, we get emissions tax and so on, dunno about you in the US for that. No X types?

I play music

Reaction score
Why are you not eligible to drive a van but can drive a normal car?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-a-van
"You can drive a van up to 3,500kg if you have a standard car driving licence."

cip 123

Reaction score
Why are you not eligible to drive a van but can drive a normal car?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-a-van
"You can drive a van up to 3,500kg if you have a standard car driving licence."

Need to check that out, back of my driving licence only shows 2 categories I'm allowed to drive and I've always just assumed it's Cars and Mopeds :lol:

But I also don't really want a Van either so...

I play music

Reaction score
Need to check that out, back of my driving licence only shows 2 categories I'm allowed to drive and I've always just assumed it's Cars and Mopeds :lol:

But I also don't really want a Van either so...
To me a van is a car. Don't see why it should be any different ...

Anyways, sounds like what you want is what we call "Kombi" and is quite common in Germany. Skoda Octavia Kombi from around 2000 to 2005 is one example out of many that should be in your price range.
However, with your budget it could be a bit difficult to find a reliable car.

cip 123

Reaction score
To me a van is a car. Don't see why it should be any different ...

Anyways, sounds like what you want is what we call "Kombi" and is quite common in Germany. Skoda Octavia Kombi from around 2000 to 2005 is one example out of many that should be in your price range.
However, with your budget it could be a bit difficult to find a reliable car.

Yea I can see how it's a little odd for sizes however I do know the laws have changed on licences for example I know older people who have all categories on the back of their licence filled in just because it was before laws changed, same driving test. So I'd rather just play it safe. And yes I believe Kombi is what we call an "estate"

The price range is actually fairly okay for decent cars on eBay/Gumtree. I have seen a few Skoda's on there for pretty modest prices, and was thinking about them too. Along with Saabs.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Wagons?

Oh you mean hatch's lanky ass looking cousin? Yeah, no thanks.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you live in the UK you should absolutely drive this. It pisses me off that the US doesn't love wagons
https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/new-mazda6-tourer/

Correction, the only wagon the US loves is the Subaru outback and it's hideous

This!

Wagons are great. For years I used a panel van to haul stuff (when a pickup wasn't a viable option), but when my wife got an Outback it was a gamechanger. With the seats down I can easily fit a couple of half stacks, a few guitar cases and some miscellaneous stuff.

You get the "comfortable" cargo room of a much larger vehicle, like an SUV, but still get the feel of driving a sedan.

If you go Japanese, the upkeep will be much cheaper than all but the best vans.

cip 123

Reaction score
If you live in the UK you should absolutely drive this. It pisses me off that the US doesn't love wagons
https://www.mazda.co.uk/cars/new-mazda6-tourer/

Correction, the only wagon the US loves is the Subaru outback and it's hideous

Actually looking at a few Mazda's now online thanks!

We have a few Subaru's here however I believe people like to modify them till they break or something similar because everyone that comes up has "Engine broken" or "No engine"...

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Oh yeah, the Outback is rated less reliable than all other cars in Subaru's lineup, and the main reason is people like to mess with them.

I have a Subaru Legacy as my commuter vehicle and it's rock-solid. If I had the option to go with a Mazda wagon instead, I would've done it in a heartbeat.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I just got notified that my Focus is ready to be picked up - it was time for its' annual road worthiness inspection and the exhaust had become really noisy and the rear springs were worn out. So I took it to a garage owned by my wife's friend. Turns out the exhaust was missing some parts (previous owner had replaced the front muffler with a piece of pipe) and both the rear springs had snapped :lol: The whole thing'll set me back 450€, which is not bad IMO considering that the whole exhaust and springs were swapped. Will be picking it up after work today :)

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
Damn Misha, that’s pretty sick. I didn't know you were a fan of Audi's. I got an A4 recently and I’m really liking it so far. I just hope it lasts as long as my Accord did. Longevity is really my only concern.
B99966B2-4685-4786-9CE0-2A1BC1322451_zps7wp40qdz.jpg

677FA4C9-2E15-47B9-8D59-65FFBFECBA6B_zpsf6zqtcmr.jpg

managed to get the cars side by side finally!
managed to get the cars side by side finally!
42369888_10156801612344533_124840216664997888_o.jpg

Latest posts