The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
After browsing AutoTrader for way too long last night I am of the opinion that listing a car as an MT that is actually a DCT or an AT is the equivalent of calling an LTD an ESP. Worst.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Anyone here into Autocross? Thinking about checking out the DFW Autocross scene!

I participated in several events. Here was my takeaway:
- I learned a lot about driving and what a car can and cannot do.
- If I ran 4 laps at an event, that means I drove for a total of 5 minutes, which means the event was about 6 hours long.

It is because of the second takeaway that I am not into autocross. It has the potential to be fun but the way it is structured makes it hard. More people = longer event/same number of laps.

If you know someone who does autocross, go with them. The potential for fun will be much higher.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
After browsing AutoTrader for way too long last night I am of the opinion that listing a car as an MT that is actually a DCT or an AT is the equivalent of calling an LTD an ESP. Worst.
That's because too many manufacturers have done away with the MT altogether. It's become a generational thing. Folks who can drive stick are outliers these days, and nothing else in society makes me feel more like an old man yelling at the neighbor's dog to get outta my yard.

When my son is of age, I will be teaching him to drive stick on a swampy MT, VW beetle. Then I'll be confident he can easily drive anything else.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
Folks who can drive stick are outliers these days
...in the USA. In other countries you have to drive manual transmission in the exam to get your driving license so anyone with a car driving license can drive stick.

goobaba

Reaction score
I looked into Autocross when I first got my Camaro. It seems like all that you really need to participate is a helmet. Compared to track days on a race course, its basically free. I need to get a helmet one of these days...

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
If I ran 4 laps at an event, that means I drove for a total of 5 minutes, which means the event was about 6 hours long.

Yeah fuck autocross :lol: It's a lot of fun when you're actually driving, you can learn things that are much harder to learn on track (a car that's setup to be fast at one may not be fast at the other), and it's substantially cheaper than track time, but there's so little actual seat time.

bulb

Reaction score
Took the r8 to Motorsports Ranch in Cresson on the 3.1 layout. Man what an awesome track! Very technical and very fun, and the R8 was an absolute pleasure there!

If I go there more I might have to look into a spec Miata that I’ll just keep there, the track is all corners so some of the fastest times are done in light momentum cars!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Took the r8 to Motorsports Ranch in Cresson on the 3.1 layout. Man what an awesome track! Very technical and very fun, and the R8 was an absolute pleasure there!

If I go there more I might have to look into a spec Miata that I’ll just keep there, the track is all corners so some of the fastest times are done in light momentum cars!

If this had been autocross you would have said, "Man, what a track. Very technical. The R8 was there."
I have never been to a track but I've been told it is addictive. I'm glad you had fun!

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score

dude, you were just a few minutes away from me...

that shop, MER, that build the spec miatas are the ones who put a jdm b13 into my tt 93 rx7.

cult

Reaction score
I'm on the lookout for a new ride, and a nice BMW F21 crossed my path.
It's not a monster considering horse-power or anything, but it's nice to be able to get a rear-wheel drive hatchback with a longitudinally mounted engine. Also it has the Harman Kardon HiFi Package.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

xzacx

Reaction score
I'm on the lookout for a new ride, and a nice BMW F21 crossed my path.
It's not a monster considering horse-power or anything, but it's nice to be able to get a rear-wheel drive hatchback with a longitudinally mounted engine. Also it has the Harman Kardon HiFi Package.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I love these as far as form factor, but they aren't available here in the U.S. I'd probably have one if they did, although I am happy with the GLA I do have, which is somewhat similar—just a little higher and technically a small SUV. I'm into small hatchbacks living in a city though. My girl just got a Range Rover and it's a beautiful car, without a doubt. I love being in it. But the five-point-turn to just get in her spot in our parking garage would get old real fast for me.

cult

Reaction score
I love being in it. But the five-point-turn to just get in her spot in our parking garage would get old real fast for me.

Same here!
My wife works in the city and we got her a Smart, they are amazing for what they are:
Smart-ForTwo-Facelift-2012-01_0.jpg

Two seats, small enough to park it perpendicular to the lane (!) and 84 horsepower in this package. They are really light, I guess somewhere around 900 kg, so it's quite nice while accelerating.
The one we bought for my wife is actually a convertible :D

goobaba

Reaction score
Guys, I'm in the market for a new car. Currently I have a 2016 Camaro RS, which I love but I have a young son and the coupe plus car seat is getting really old. What are some suggestions for a 4 door fun car priced at around $30k? I would love a Chevy SS, but those are closer to $40k in excellent condition.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
Guys, I'm in the market for a new car. Currently I have a 2016 Camaro RS, which I love but I have a young son and the coupe plus car seat is getting really old. What are some suggestions for a 4 door fun car priced at around $30k? I would love a Chevy SS, but those are closer to $40k in excellent condition.

Used Focus RS?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Same here!
My wife works in the city and we got her a Smart, they are amazing for what they are:
Smart-ForTwo-Facelift-2012-01_0.jpg

Two seats, small enough to park it perpendicular to the lane (!) and 84 horsepower in this package. They are really light, I guess somewhere around 900 kg, so it's quite nice while accelerating.
The one we bought for my wife is actually a convertible :D

I want the brabus smart so bad. I’m just going to assume that 105 hp in that form factor would be a thrilling death trap

cult

Reaction score
I’m just going to assume that 105 hp in that form factor would be a thrilling death trap
Well, it's pretty fine actually :D The worst is wind and that it's pretty much non-aerodynamic.
Apart from that, the 84hp version will just go ~140 km/h since it's electronically blocked, the Brabus will go 155 km/h which is... pretty underwhelming and annoying as far as noise goes.
We live in Germany. Close to one of the largest Autobahn without any speed-limit. Going ~200 km/h is usually not even a problem if you really want to...
So yeah, it is a death trap but rather because of other drivers who underestimate your velocity.

shadscbr

Reaction score

I know these might seem like odd suggestions when compared to the Camaro & SS. I've been helping a friend shop for family/ fun cars the past few weeks, and we've spent a lot of time test driving (and sitting in sales cube farms). If you are looking at new, I felt like the standouts were the Subaru WRX, Honda Accord 2.0T , and Mazda 6 turbo. But for around $30K, the slightly used Volvo S90 turbo & supercharged we drove totally stole the show. It really felt more special, both inside and out, than anything else we saw in that price range. I even liked it more than the used A7 we drove (an S7 has not been tested, yet). Safety, comfort- best seats ever, and 2 kinds of forced induction turns out to be a great family car recipe :)....best of luck!