The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
^Thanks, it was the shortest test drive of all of the models Fiesta ST/208 Gti/Clio RS, but it just clicked with me. I got offered a good deal so....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Thanks, it was the shortest test drive of all of the models Fiesta ST/208 Gti/Clio RS, but it just clicked with me. I got offered a good deal so....

That's what it's all about man; the one that clicks. That's a big part of why I couldn't let my Charger go. That Mustang was lighter, faster and had a manual; it was lots of fun, but I just didn't "love" it as much. I don't think I would include it (as often) in all of the scenery photos I take. :lol:

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
^This is why I'm feeling the love in this thread, petrolheads of all stripes can enjoy their vehicles.

Edit: I love muscle cars but on twisty roads where I live, highly impractical.

Edit: Care to educate a Brit about Mopar?

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^This is why I'm feeling the love in this thread, petrolheads of all stripes can enjoy their vehicles.

Edit: I love muscle cars but on twisty roads where I live, highly impractical.

Edit: Care to educate a Brit about Mopar?

Hmmmmmmm where to start? Haha. I'll just stick to my particular Mopar.

I have an '07 Charger R/T Daytona (Sub Lime, 1500 built); 5.7L Hemi V8, 350hp, 390lb-ft torque. The Daytona (and R/T's with the Road And Track package) differ from the standard R/T's in a few key ways; they have the same Mercedes-derived 4-wheel independent suspension as the SRT8 model (though, an inch higher in ride height), the same seats as the SRT8, larger wheels, wider tires, better weight distribution (they claim near-perfect, about 51/49 I believe), the same brakes as the Police Package (but not the Brembos, unfortunately), a better stock performance tune, more precise steering, etc.

Most of the more modern Mopars have the Mercedes-derived WA580 5-speed auto with the auto stick (same that you'll find in most 2000's Mercedes, even the S65 AMG, because it can handle ridiculous amounts of torque).

So it has good get-up and, for a 2 ton muscle car, handles quite well. But no, it would not be ideal on the narrow roads I see on Top Gear all the time; as it's about 6 feet wide and 16 1/2 feet long. It's a blast to throw its weight around on the twisty roads out here in the desert; but they're wide and often empty. :lol:

Now it's your turn, I want to know more about why that particular Clio clicked with you more than the other cars you were looking at? I really like the way it looks.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Now it's your turn, I want to know more about why that particular Clio clicked with you more than the other cars you were looking at? I really like the way it looks.

What I'm about to post may go against the consensus of armchair bloggers. However having spent some time with all three, I feel I can give at least an informed opinion.

Right off the bat all three are really great hot hatches and it was a tough call between capability, spec and price.

Renault have taken a risk in making this version more accessible with a dual-clutch semi-auto box, but I feel this adds to its charm. In normal auto mode it can potter around on the commute nicely like any shopping trolley. Hit the RS button, throttle response/steering sharpens up, shifts are quicker (170ms) and suddenly you're in hooligan mode. Since I had a salesman with me and greasy roads I wouldn't go into race mode, which totally disables driver aids and sharpens up responses further (150ms shift times). Holding the downshift paddle also allowed block shifting, which I thought was a very snacky feature. Compared to the others it's slightly larger (4" approx in length) and has 5 doors instead of 3 (plus points for the practicality). Compared to the other two, rear visibility is poorer so that needs to be taken into consideration (especially with those chunky c-pillars).

The particular car is a nearly new 13 plate (for non UK folk that means less than a year old) with only 4500 miles and is fitted with the Cup chassis option. This means optional 18" rims with Dunlop rubber, beefier suspension and a sharper steering rack. I didn't check but I believe Brembos come as standard on the new RS.

Now for the competition, as a back road blaster the Fiesta ST was a hoot to drive but felt almost too optimised in that respect. Another criteria would be heading to see my folks in Scotland (360 miles and circa 7 hours with 2 rest stops) and the ST felt like more of a sprinter than a distance runner. Thus for my set of criteria 3rd place. However considering for £600 you can get a Mountune upgrade to 215ps on overboost without invalidating the warranty (in the UK at least), it represents great value for money and the enthusiast's choice. Practical features as standard on the ST-2 model such as heated seats and windscreen also ticked some boxes.

Moving on to the 208 GTi, which came in 2nd place. More plush and compliant than the ST but equally capable. I felt the clutch and gearbox were better for day to day work and the extra toys were very welcome (touch screen infotainment in a similar manner to the Clio). From an ergonomic point of view the cockpit had its merits. I'm not what you'd call a small bloke (6'3" and 230lbs with an active job), so the small go-kart wheel and the distance between that and the instrument cluster made getting in and out a doddle. The downside again for me 3 door only and stylistically it was giving off mixed messages. On the one hand the design language was modern Peugeot, whilst trying to hark back to the glory days of the old hardcore 205 GTi.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Edit: After posting about how many states you've been through it's reminded me of an old joke.

Q: What's the difference between a Brit and an American?
A: To a Brit 100 miles is a long way, to an American 100 years is a long time.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Awesome man. Sounds like a damn fine car.

It's always nice to hear that someone has made a truly informed decision on their car purchase.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
^Awesome man. Sounds like a damn fine car.

It's always nice to hear that someone has made a truly informed decision on their car purchase.

Thanks, it may have gone against the Top Gear grain but it fitted my criteria. So your next complementary vehicle what do you have in mind?

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thanks, it may have gone against the Top Gear grain but it fitted my criteria. So your next complementary vehicle what do you have in mind?

Other than the "love", almost everything I do, car-wise, goes against Top Gear. :lol:

And I really don't know at this point. I'd really like to get a 2015 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker when they hit the used market; but by that point I may be ready to shell out a little more for a used C7 Corvette Stingray Z51. Or... spend the same money on a used C6 Corvette Z06. The Challenger could replace my Charger as an every day car, the Vettes would have to be 2nd cars. I think I'd be happier having my Charger and a Vette, rather than just a Challenger.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Other than the "love", almost everything I do, car-wise, goes against Top Gear. :lol:

And I really don't know at this point. I'd really like to get a 2015 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker when they hit the used market; but by that point I may be ready to shell out a little more for a used C7 Corvette Stingray Z51. Or... spend the same money on a used C6 Corvette Z06. The Challenger could replace my Charger as an every day car, the Vettes would have to be 2nd cars. I think I'd be happier having my Charger and a Vette, rather than just a Challenger.

C5 is where it's at. Absolutely the best bang for the buck in a performance car, by far. $15k or so these days for a nice LS1 coupe. Throw in another $2-3k in an intake, exhaust, dyno tune, and decent stereo unit and you have a monster for the cost of a new base Civic.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Very true, and I love the C5's. But my love for the C6 Z06 and C7 Z51 is... ridiculous.

I'd keep either of them stock and just drive the shit out of them. When I drove an '07 Z06 last year, I couldn't believe how much I loved it.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yeah if I had the cash I'd have a new C7 Z51 for sure and it would not need most of the mods that my C5 does. The sad thing is that by the time I'm done with the C5 it will probably end up costing about as much as a C7 :lol:

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Well got back home from picking up la (belle) bête, some first observations:

1) Considering this rides 3mm lower and has 15% overall stiffer suspension than standard it copes remarkably well on shitty Norfolk roads. The overall impression is fluid and communicative rather than crashy (a criticism I've levelled at some Seats in the past). Looking at the specs, the RS has hydraulic bump stops so this may well be a contributing factor.

2) The joint developed Nissan/Renault engine is a peach.

3) I really love speed variable power steering.

4) The paddle block shifting is not just a gimmick but a very useful feature. Heading back home I was stuck behind a reasonably new (probably 13 or 63 plate) VW pickup (Amarok?), which for reasons unknown was intent on doing 10mph less than the indicated limit. Road and weather conditions were both good and the rush hour traffic had abated (well rush hour in East Anglia seems to be more like dawdle hour anyway).

Finding a straight with a decent stretch before a descending sweeping left hander, I knew it was one of the few good points on this road for an overtake. So what does the other driver do on seeing me indicate and pull out, yes you guessed it...accelerate.

I'm now on the wrong side of the road in something of a Catch 22 situation. Another vehicle may well have slotted into place behind the pickup (suddenly that rear c-pillar visibility comment comes back to haunt me), so that left one place for me to go. End result I'm heading towards said left-hander a bit quicker than I would normally like. Applied a modicum of anchor, pulled in left paddle and trusted to science. Next thing I'm round the bend and off into the distance, compared to the Fabia this is unreal.

5) I also really love having a built in sat-nav.

6) Not sure about just having a compressor and a can of foam in case of a puncture, I've measured up the boot and seriously considering buying a full alloy spare. There appears to be space under the boot mats for a jack etc.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
UmDU2XN.jpg

Zm9PSuK.jpg

Mine on da bottom :)

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I've got a gray 2006 330i that's just broke 99k, when I clean it up I'll try to remember to take some pictures :lol:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
A few photos from a club cruise on Friday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I need a GoPro or something. It was the first time I really started getting the tail out. Damn SRT8 in front of me was a bad influence. :lol:

Might be time for a 180 T-Stat. It was hot out there.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Love the Plum Crazy Challenger. I debated going with that color for my Z06 but ended up going with one of the darker Audi purples. I picked the color on the left here (plum crazy is on the right):

20140425_152524.jpg

It should be (finally) done by the end of the month. This spring weather is killing me waiting for the car :lol:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
That'll look sweet. Wrap or paint? I'm doing a wrap on mine soon, just for fun. Metallic matte lime with all the decals in gloss black. My paint is jacked up in some places, and the decals need replacing anyway.

I almost bought a Plum Crazy Daytona over my Sub Lime; but just couldn't resist that green lol.

Shame we did that cruise on a week day, since we're up over 100 members.

')