The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Car finally back from paint and one or two other mods:

20140726_130617.jpg

It's a beast.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
That color is ace, my friend.

What are these "one or two other mods", eh?

Edit: Also, anyone have experience with warped rotors? It's never happened to me, but I'm pretty sure it has now lol. A little shaky at higher speeds, not shaky but "serpentine-ish" under braking, some odd rubbing/clicking noises under light braking and especially turning before coming to a full stop.

I'm not entirely sure what's happening, honestly. Maybe it's the control arm(s)? The clicking part while turning at least.

I suspect that the car having spent late '06-April '13 in Florida, then Denver till the end of February '14, Vegas till June and now Charlotte may have had some negative effects on some parts of the car. Hot and humid>Dry and (a few times) down to -30° (and lower)>dry as fvck and hot as fvck>Somewhat humid and decently hot. My poor baby..

troyguitar

Reaction score
That color is ace, my friend.

What are these "one or two other mods", eh?

Edit: Also, anyone have experience with warped rotors? It's never happened to me, but I'm pretty sure it has now lol. A little shaky at higher speeds, not shaky but "serpentine-ish" under braking, some odd rubbing/clicking noises under light braking and especially turning before coming to a full stop.

I'm not entirely sure what's happening, honestly. Maybe it's the control arm(s)? The clicking part while turning at least.

I suspect that the car having spent late '06-April '13 in Florida, then Denver till the end of February '14, Vegas till June and now Charlotte may have had some negative effects on some parts of the car. Hot and humid>Dry and (a few times) down to -30° (and lower)>dry as fvck and hot as fvck>Somewhat humid and decently hot. My poor baby..

copied from corvetteforum:

Some of the stuff on the car now:

Cray Brickyards 18x9.5 and 19x11
Bridgestone RE-11 265/35/18 and 305/30/19
Pfadt JOC shocks, sway bars, and end links
Phoenix delrin bushings kit
C6 Z51 caliper brackets with C5 calipers powdercoated yellow
DBA T3 4000 rotors
Stoptech Street Performance pads (for street/autox, swapping pads for track)
Vararam intake
Corsa Xtreme exhaust with x-pipe
Monster stage 2 clutch with 18 lb flywheel and remote bleeder
MTI Racing short shifter
Ron Davis radiator with integrated engine and trans oil coolers
Trans cooling pump behind LR fender
Improved Racing oil thermostat
LED tail lights, reverse lights, sidemarkers, parking lights and turn signals

Still need to install:
HID headlights
front brake spindle cooling ducts
Kenwood double DIN and speaker upgrade
Some sort of partition and maybe Vettenuts insulation kit
REAL SEATS, not sure which

It's hard to say what's causing your issues without driving the car, but pops/clicks/clunks is usually sway bar or control arm bushings (or CV joints but your car is RWD).

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Damn, it sounds like you have a hell of a nice track Vette in the works man.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
So... which one of you fine people wants to buy me the upcoming Charger SRT Hellcat? :D

To have a sedan with 16 more hp and 139 more torques than a Lamborghini Aventador, with a warranty, would be all kinds of awesome. If it's priced like the Challenger Hellcat, that's about $84 per HP. Crazy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    844.6 KB · Views: 34

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
So... which one of you fine people wants to buy me the upcoming Charger SRT Hellcat? :D

To have a sedan with 16 more hp and 139 more torques than a Lamborghini Aventador, with a warranty, would be all kinds of awesome. If it's priced like the Challenger Hellcat, that's about $84 per HP. Crazy.

Do it! :scream:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Does it come in 6MT?

shifty.gif

The Challenger does, apparently.

There's a video up on youtube talking about how it has the Viper 6-speed.

I'm starting to like this car more. Where has my "Euro-Only" sense gone?

it died with the 911's engine :(

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Does it come in 6MT?

shifty.gif

We don't know yet. Not likely, especially since Chrysler claims the 8 speed Auto with paddles shifts in under 135 milliseconds. But, it would be really cool if the Charger had an option for the Viper's manual as well. The video I posted earlier on this page is a 6 speed Challenger Hellcat at Portland International Raceway; and that supercharger whine just gives me goosebumps!

I dunno what's gonna happen next year. My next car (or 2nd car, my Daytona isn't going anywhere) will be entirely dependent on how much my income increases this year. If it increases a lot, then a Hellcat; Chally or Charger, I don't care lol. If it only increases a little, then my 2nd vehicle will be the Challenger 392 Scat Pack R/T with the shaker hood and a 6 speed manual. Scat Pack is under $40k brand new, so the used market should be lovely by the time I'm car shopping.

And THAT's if I don't see a spectacular deal on a C7 Stingray Z51. But I'm just such a Hemi guy...

Maniacal

Reaction score
Just got back from the gym... had my second complaint about the noise of my car. The manager of the premises even mentioned banning me for dangerous driving, despite doing 15 mph tops. That is one of the problems with the Impreza. I have also had someone let me tyres down, jealous bastards.

I am getting a Nissan Micra next time around.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Just got back from the gym... had my second complaint about the noise of my car. The manager of the premises even mentioned banning me for dangerous driving, despite doing 15 mph tops. That is one of the problems with the Impreza. I have also had someone let me tyres down, jealous bastards.

Time for a new gym, methinks.

I do know all too well about jealous little pricks though. I had 2 of my Daytona's tires slashed when I lived in Denver. I had a pretty good idea of who it was... there was this guy down the street who had an S2000, it was really tastefully customized too, looked great. One day we were talking about the hassles of driving our RWD cars in the snow, and I said I'd probably have an easier time than him because my car is a smidge over 2 tons. Granted, I was a snow newb, so i believed him when he said that would actually make it worse.

Well, when the first snow of Winter came, i was leaving the neighborhood, which hadn't been plowed yet, and there he was... halfway out of his parking spot, shoveling away. I rolled down my window and said, "I thought you said lighter cars are better in snow? My 2 ton muscle car is digging right down to the pavement", he gave me the finger and i kept driving. Now, I thought that was just a friendly, funny thing that just happened. (We were both on Summer tires, btw)

Next day, both rear tires slashed and the dude avoided me every day after. Way to give up that he did it, right? I think it was more than just that incident though; he was pissed the one day we raced from a 15mph roll and I won.

My car has also been egged. That pissed me off WAY more than buying 2 tires. My paint is not cheap.

SonicBlur

Reaction score
Here's is my 2003 Cobra (that I sold LIKE AN IDIOT for a POS 2000 Audi S4).

Sold that useless turd of an Audi and got back into a Mustang, unfortunately it is A LOT slower but I still love it, my very first 100% brand new car.

2009 Mustang GT

And one with my old wheels

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Man, that Cobra looks great. Huge fan of those, I have always wanted to make one a project car. They sound SO nasty! Loving your '09 as well; that's my absolute favorite generation of the Mustang. Ford just nailed that design.

Why do people insist on being the bigger asshole?

I wish I knew. Keying, egging, slashing tires, etc... I'll never get it. One of mg grandfather's golfing buddies has a Rolls Royce Ghost; last year he came out to the grocery store parking lot to find it keyed down both sides. Like, what the .... goes through someone's head when they do that? "I can't afford that, but the owner can afford to fix it, so i'm gonna .... it up because I'm jealous." ?

As Vincent Vega said, "You don't .... with another man's vehicle"

Edit: I didn't even need duct tape, but I felt obligated to buy this:
image.jpg

Vrollin

Reaction score
This was my initial thought too, but have you seen it's overseas cousin, the Holden Monaro?

2060201.003.1M.jpg

something about that front just makes me tingly. Also, the GTO can be turboed for like $6k...

But then again the C5 is a C5 and that's enough :lol:

Sorry, but this cuts me up everytime I see someone say something like this. The Monaro is not the cousin of the Pontiac GTO, the Monaro is a Holden design built in Australia first and then sold off to the states with left hand drive different bumpers and badged as a Pontiac GTO.... Dunno if you knew that already or if I had just interperated what you had said incorrectly :)

ddtonfire

Reaction score
I wish I knew. Keying, egging, slashing tires, etc... I'll never get it. One of mg grandfather's golfing buddies has a Rolls Royce Ghost; last year he came out to the grocery store parking lot to find it keyed down both sides. Like, what the .... goes through someone's head when they do that? "I can't afford that, but the owner can afford to fix it, so i'm gonna .... it up because I'm jealous." ?

As Vincent Vega said, "You don't .... with another man's vehicle"

Yeah, it's like I know I'm a jealous piece of sh!t, so I'm going to go out and prove it to the world. Honestly, I don't feel bad about anything that happens to that type of person.

Here's is my 2003 Cobra (that I sold LIKE AN IDIOT for a POS 2000 Audi S4).

What mods did you do? What about to the GT?

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score

Back when the 911 was still running, I had put muffler bypass pipes on, and I got roughly the same response you did.

There were numerous complaints about me going "100 in a 30" by the soccer moms on the neighborhood's facebook page and forums (Yes, we actually have that :lol:). I don't blame them, the car was so loud it probably did seem like it was going incredibly fast. However, since I live in a higher income area, the people are very mentally unstable, and claimed I did a bunch of other shit. Apparently, I'm a drug dealing, gun slinging child murder who flips everyone off. Hmmm.

The funniest one was this:

UBtTBWz.jpg

Yes, this is real. Now, I don't blame her, because I was using an ecig, which was pretty massive, but let's think for a second.

1.) The 911 was a 6 Speed manual.

2.) This requires two hands to drive.

3.) Bongs require two hands as well.

4.) To smoke a bong while driving would require 4 hands, or a very long stop light.

:lol:

')