The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Digging all the Viper love in this thread the past couple days. :D

I love all gens.

KingVee: Sucks about the Grand Prix. I had a '99 GTP Coupe and an '04 GTP Special Edition; loved them. Always wished they were RWD, but still great cars. My '99 had a Bose speaker system, that was glorious.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol:

Nothing sucks more than my Cavalier :lol:

The Ford Pinto would like to disagree with you.

top-secret-pinto-explosion-o.gif

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol::lol::lol:

Nothing sucks more than my Cavalier :lol:

I've got a 2006 Equinox. 15mpg if I'm lucky, AWD that doesn't really work, just as noisey as any sports car I've driven...

We call it the ShitBox

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I've got a 2006 Equinox. 15mpg if I'm lucky, AWD that doesn't really work, just as noisey as any sports car I've driven...

We call it the ShitBox
2002 base of the base model Cavalier no power anything, headlights don't like to work, turn signals don't like to work, it's an automatic that tends to stall at times :ugh: If I let it idle for more than 5 minutes it starts smoking and it's just not good and the steering wheel tends to not work at times :lol:

can I join the shitbox club?

Although at least my AC and heat work, it's something. But I'm getting rid of it right after I graduate in May.

Kobalt

Reaction score
KingVee: Sucks about the Grand Prix. I had a '99 GTP Coupe and an '04 GTP Special Edition; loved them. Always wished they were RWD, but still great cars. My '99 had a Bose speaker system, that was glorious.
I loved it, it was the first car I bought that I chose (not something I bought just because I needed a car). They are supposed to be reliable (see them reaching 250,000 miles all the time) but mine was a true lemon and my driving didn't help it in its last year of existence.

Spun a rod bearing on a flooring downshift two and a half hours north of where I live. It only had 100,000 miles. Here's its last breath. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQVu-BSYKI

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Ouch. Yeah, they certainly can be reliable. The 3800 Series II and III are good engines. My '99 had 204k when I sold it, still felt pretty strong.

I'm just a couple hundred miles away from 100k on the Daytona. It's been great to me, but with how unbelievably busy I've been since June, I've neglected a few minor issues that sound like they may be nearing major. Guess I should get on that, don't wanna screw up such a good engine. My last 5.7 Hemi was still plenty strong at 170k.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Ouch. Yeah, they certainly can be reliable. The 3800 Series II and III are good engines. My '99 had 204k when I sold it, still felt pretty strong.
I bet you got a decent amount of money from it too. I used to hang out on W-body and Grand Prix forums and most people couldn't believe how much bad luck I had with mine. The amount spent in repairs over the entire ownership exceeded the price I paid for the car in the first place. Oh well... :lol:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Test drove the GTO, and holy fawk.

It made a beautiful noise, nicest stock exhaust on a Pontiac I've ever heard.

The suspension was definitely upgraded or I seriously underestimated the stock suspension, because the thing was damned flat through corners. It obviously wasn't as planted as the c5, but jesus, it surprised me.

The previous owner upgraded to a Hurst shifter, which I'm split on. It looks and feels great, but they didn't add insulation, so I can hear the transmission whine really clearly.

The only thing that set me back was there's a slow oil leak from what I believe to be the valve cover. It's dripping on to the Cat, so it smoked a tiny bit. The dealer claims to be able to fix it, so if he actually does fix it and call me on monday, it'll be mine. :)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Test drove the GTO, and holy fawk.

It made a beautiful noise, nicest stock exhaust on a Pontiac I've ever heard.

The suspension was definitely upgraded or I seriously underestimated the stock suspension, because the thing was damned flat through corners. It obviously wasn't as planted as the c5, but jesus, it surprised me.

The previous owner upgraded to a Hurst shifter, which I'm split on. It looks and feels great, but they didn't add insulation, so I can hear the transmission whine really clearly.

The only thing that set me back was there's a slow oil leak from what I believe to be the valve cover. It's dripping on to the Cat, so it smoked a tiny bit. The dealer claims to be able to fix it, so if he actually does fix it and call me on monday, it'll be mine. :)

Condition and tire dependent, of course, but I've always read that the LS2 Goats can pull at least .86 lateral G's. Not sure about the LS1, nor am I sure which one you're looking into, lol.

I know they're a little different from the Monaros, but the suspension is great in both. I'd be lying if I said I didn't bust some powerslides/drifts in Florida's rain when my friend and I swapped cars. Not something I had much experience with, but it was so easy.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
This one was the LS2. What's funny is how low the red-line was set from the factory, the first G8 my dad got was at something like 6500, whereas the GTO 6.0 was at like 6...

It's definitely going to need new tires, as the current ones were having me slip this way and that on take-offs. However, everything else was perfect. I drove it (For the most part :lol:) like a sane human being, and it was really, REALLY comfy. I felt like I was back in the CLK, save for the manual transmission. The only thing I'll really want to do to it for now is figure out how to insulate the transmission so I don't hear that whine.

I've been waiting for the call, I'm seriously hoping they fix the leak because I'm ready to dump my Axe-FX fund into this beautiful bastard :lol:

EDIT: By the way, I meant to show you guys pics. DOI.

File0_083809_800600.jpg

File0_089223_800600.jpg

File0_018286_800600.jpg

File0_016400_800600.jpg

SO MUCH HNGH

The fact that it's missing the gto bumper cover bugs me a bit, but oh well :)

troyguitar

Reaction score
GTO is baller.

I'm sort of investigating options for a fun AWD+manual car for winter/daily use, it's been a whole month and I'm already tired of not driving my Z06. The oddball front runner right now is a 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 4.

1999-porsche-911-carrera-4_100418000_l.jpg

For some reason they're the cheapest 911's on the planet, with high mileage examples available under $15k.

Other bizarro options include: 91-93 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, 07-09 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec-B, 01-04 Audi A6 2.7T, 10-14 Acura TL SH-AWD, maybe an old Evo/STI, maybe 2015 WRX, or something else I haven't thought about yet.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Get, Forrest, get it! That Spice Red Metallic is gorgeous. Looks like it has the 17" wheels as well, which looks much better than the 16's.

And yes, they are shockingly comfortable, when you consider how capable they are in terms of handling.

Ugh, making me want an '06 Goat... they are ALWAYS on the list when I'm shopping for a daily, especially when in Florida. But I never seem to find one at the right price, or if it is the right price it's the wrong color or.... equipped with the 4-speed Auto... *shudders*

I'd want either Impulse Blue, Spice Red or Brazen Orange. :yes:

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
GTO is baller.

I'm sort of investigating options for a fun AWD+manual car for winter/daily use, it's been a whole month and I'm already tired of not driving my Z06. The oddball front runner right now is a 1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 4.

For some reason they're the cheapest 911's on the planet, with high mileage examples available under $15k.

Oi, please learn from my heartache with the 911 and skip over it :( The way that that engine died is stupid. You can definitely reinforce those engines, but Jesus, a simple valve spring destroyed my dream car. Not only that, the IMS bearing is a ridiculous issue, Porsche I believe have not introduced a fix for that.

Get, Forrest, get it! That Spice Red Metallic is gorgeous. Looks like it has the 17" wheels as well, which looks much better than the 16's.

And yes, they are shockingly comfortable, when you consider how capable they are in terms of handling.

Ugh, making me want an '06 Goat... they are ALWAYS on the list when I'm shopping for a daily, especially when in Florida. But I never seem to find one at the right price, or if it is the right price it's the wrong color or.... equipped with the 4-speed Auto... *shudders*

I'd want either Impulse Blue, Spice Red or Brazen Orange. :yes:

I'm waiting for the call back, I'm like checking my phone every 5 seconds :lol: PLEEEEAASSSEEE don't let there be something seriously wrong with the engine causing it to leak, PLEAAAAASSSEEEE

troyguitar

Reaction score
The 99's have a stronger ims bearing than the 00+ models and it's only like $1000 to fix it when it comes time to replace the clutch, I'm really not too worried about it. If it blows up I'll just put an LS motor in it and solve the reliability issue for good :lol:

Who knows though, I'm just thinking about stuff to do 1-5 years from now depending on finances. In that time the 996's might go back up in value and no longer be an option.

shadscbr

Reaction score
I'm waiting for the call back, I'm like checking my phone every 5 seconds :lol: PLEEEEAASSSEEE don't let there be something seriously wrong with the engine causing it to leak, PLEAAAAASSSEEEE

Forrest_H, I hope the dealership gets it fixed and gives you a bit of a warranty...good luck, hope you get it!! :)

Shad

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
The 99's have a stronger ims bearing than the 00+ models and it's only like $1000 to fix it when it comes time to replace the clutch, I'm really not too worried about it. If it blows up I'll just put an LS motor in it and solve the reliability issue for good :lol:

Who knows though, I'm just thinking about stuff to do 1-5 years from now depending on finances. In that time the 996's might go back up in value and no longer be an option.

The LS swap was something I seriously thought about for awhile, until I realized that in order to do the actual change (because getting the engine out of a 911 is stupidly difficult) it would have cost me around the same for a new car :lol: I'm sure that you already have the necessary parts to do it, but for me it was like completely out of the question.

I dunno, I'm seriously jaded towards Porsche because the whole reason mine died was because of one f-cking valve spring, each engine part is matched to that specific engine and won't fit any other motor (supposedly), and to get a rebuilt engine was almost as much as the damned car.

I will also be jealous because you will have a working 911 while mine collects dust in the garage :lol:

However, there really was nothing like driving a 911. I was amazed to discover that mine didn't have any form of traction control, because it NEVER slid. It was a road-legal go kart. The way it sounded, felt, drove, and looked... I'll never get over the fact that I will likely never get to be in it again. :(

Sorry, ramble, been in meetings most of today :lol:

Forrest_H, I hope the dealership gets it fixed and gives you a bit of a warranty...good luck, hope you get it!! :)

Shad

Thanks man! I do too. They likely won't give me a warranty, it's sort of a low-key dealership, just a band of guys in Austin who sell off sports car. However, a new LS2 is far less than what the car is worth, so I'm not too worried about it :)

No call back yet, bit worrisome, but I'm trying to be optimistic. If there's not a deal, hopefully I can find an impulse blue one for sale :)

')