The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Completely stole the show from the NSX, which I think is pretty underwhelming looking anyway. That rear is awful.

But the Ford looks spectacular!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Yeah, my friend showed me the new GT.

:drool:

Taking my 330 in tomorrow morning now that I have time. For the last couple weeks, a good amount of the times I drive it, I'll get a smell of gasoline that lasts for a couple minutes after I start it and then goes away... :ugh: plus the idle has sounded very clicky. I'm expecting to hear not great things, but we'll see.

Also considering maybe grabbing a set of 17" wheels and some snow tires for the winter.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
What are some sports car recommendations for under 18k? My e36 M3 was totaled a few weeks ago so I'm back in the market. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

1. AP2 S2000
2. Another really clean E36 (I have about 2k in parts laying around so this is the smart choice :lol:)
3. BMW M Coupe (S52)
4. High mile E46 M3
5. Boxster S
6. Mazdaspeed Miata

I want something fairly small and toss-able. I've also considered looking at C5 Z06's but they always look so huge and I would never be able to use 400hp (not to keen on the E46 for the same reason). Car will be my daily and will have to endure about 2 autocrosses a month.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Mk IV Supra? (Assuming you can find one that isn't horribly molested/poorly modified)

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I've seen 2006's under $20k recently. Far and few, but still... never know when one may pop up nearby.

image.jpg

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd travel for one those. Ticks all the boxes and I can continue sneering at everyone else not driving a Finely Tuned German Machine :cool:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I was just thinking that it'd be nice to travel to get it and drive it home.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
:wub:

I love how he said the only way it could be better is if it were a Magnum Hellcat.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Dropped my car off this morning and BMW just called back.

Smell - leaking valve cover gasket - 800 for gasket/bolt/labor
Clicking - not detrimental, just annoying, apparently will get louder as time goes on - valve lifter on exhaust side - 1,600
Oil pan is developing a leak that's not a problem (yet) - 1000

Needs an alignment and general scope too... :ugh:

troyguitar

Reaction score
If I were autocrossing and not tracking I'd get a smaller car. MR2 Spyder. 2200 lbs and has the engine in the right place = perfect for autox.

Otherwise just get a 1999 911, they are down to that price by now.

Cars for Sale: 1999 Porsche 911 Coupe in Cookeville, TN 38501: Coupe Details - 389379439 - AutoTrader.com

Cars for Sale: 1999 Porsche 911 Coupe in MOUNTAIN LAKES, NJ 07046: Coupe Details - 383690810 - AutoTrader.com

1999's don't have the IMS bearing issue that 2000+ have, but they still get lumped into the low pricing of the other 996 cars for some reason.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I briefly had (well borrowed) a NB Miata and it was a shit load of fun but I prefer having a bit more power. I imagine the MRS would be a slightly rawer experience so I'll keep an eye out but the absolute lack of storage space is kind of a drag for a daily.

No IMS on the 99s? Huh, I thought all 996s had that problem. My dad (air-cooled diehard) would flip if I picked up the bastard child of the 911 range. Almost worth it :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Speaking of air cooled, we're probably putting our '73 911E out to pasture finally... not only does it have considerable rust problems that require a lot of body work, but there were some more recent leaks that put a lot of moisture into the interior. Rotten floorboards, cracking leather, fogged dials... ugh. It'd be really expensive to actually fix what needs fixing this time around.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
That's rough :( The E is electronic fuel injection right? Fun cars; I learned to auto-x in this 1970 911T (pictured with my old 80 quattro):
F77Mako.jpg

troyguitar

Reaction score
I briefly had (well borrowed) a NB Miata and it was a shit load of fun but I prefer having a bit more power. I imagine the MRS would be a slightly rawer experience so I'll keep an eye out but the absolute lack of storage space is kind of a drag for a daily.

No IMS on the 99s? Huh, I thought all 996s had that problem. My dad (air-cooled diehard) would flip if I picked up the bastard child of the 911 range. Almost worth it :lol:

Yeah the MRS is tiny. You can get a hardtop and then take out the soft top stuff to give it more storage space but it's still tiny and slow without some kind of power upgrade (sc/turbo, 2zz/k20 swap being the main options) - but for autox you really don't need any more power.

I did some 996 research and in 2000 they switched from dual row to single row IMS bearing, the 1999 is like twice the strength. It's the best value in a 911 for sure. I've been thinking about a 99 C4 as a fun year round daily driver, the AWD is nice in rain/snow up here in the hills.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
So what does everyone think about the new GT and Raptor running under the Eco-Boost moniker? Is Ford phasing out the V8?

Yeah the MRS is tiny. You can get a hardtop and then take out the soft top stuff to give it more storage space but it's still tiny and slow without some kind of power upgrade (sc/turbo, 2zz/k20 swap being the main options) - but for autox you really don't need any more power.

I did some 996 research and in 2000 they switched from dual row to single row IMS bearing, the 1999 is like twice the strength. It's the best value in a 911 for sure. I've been thinking about a 99 C4 as a fun year round daily driver, the AWD is nice in rain/snow up here in the hills.

You're totally right; the E36's limits were way higher than mine but god damn was it fun :lol:. I would love to eventually track the car too but that's currently out of my budget.

There's an abundance of 996s with relatively low miles up in LA so once I get my insurance money for the E36 I'm gonna start doing some test drives.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I kind of expected them to throw EcoBoosts in place of some V8s. I think they'll continue using them for Mustangs, but that may be it pretty soon.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Honestly my C5Z at 380 hp at the rear wheels and 3100 lbs is so overpowered for autox it's not even fun, I'm thinking about buying an MR2S myself and leaving it mostly stock for autox and daily driving so that I can make the C5Z a proper track car. Tires, shocks, alignment, and a beefy front sway bar are all that's allowed in the SCCA stock class so a competitive car could be built for like $8k - and get 30+ mpg all day long on regular gas. It's really tempting.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That's rough :( The E is electronic fuel injection right? Fun cars; I learned to auto-x in this 1970 911T (pictured with my old 80 quattro):
F77Mako.jpg

Mechanical fuel injection. The E was the middle range between the 911T (carbureted) and the 911S. In its heydey it was pushing 165hp (compared to 140hp and 190hp). Ours is my grandfather's old daily driver, commuting from Marin into San Francisco, and then it became an office car (used by my dad) and then my dad's. It's got something completely absurd like 365,000 miles...

ed: why am I looking at STI limiteds? >>

Last edited:
')