The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I love STI's... always had a soft spot for them over the Evos. Better looks, better noise, more reliable. Almost everyone I know in Denver has either a Subie or a Jeep of some sort. Then there was me in the Daytona and another friend in her Golf GTI; we had a little more trouble than the other people haha.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Got my car back - wound up costing $2,206 for the oil pan leak fix, valve head gasket replacement and alignment. At least it's all shiny now...

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
And at least it's fixed. Wish I could say the same about mine right now. :lol:

Somebody made a good point to me this morning, since I'm moving back to Denver. If I'm going to drop a big down payment on a car or whatever the case is at the time, I should probably consider an all-season vehicle. Of course the alternative is a Spring-Fall vehicle and a cheap Winter car. But, may not be a terrible idea to look into a 2012+ Grand Cherokee SRT. A low mileage one is gonna be Hellcat money though. That said, when there's a Snow mode, lots of ground clearance and you still have 475bhp on tap, it makes sense that they're as much as 707bhp weather-permitting cars, right?

Just thinking really. I do have a friend back in Denver who has a 2013 with an intake, catback, heads, cam and tune who not only drives up the mountain roads in the Winter, but destroys plenty of cars at the drag strip and even takes it upon himself to rallycross it from time to time.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty sound idea tbh. We have a 2013 x5d at home (Oakland CA) replace our Acura MDX for sports, big haul, and winter use (aka getting through Tahoe in the snow for skiing)... it's easily the most enjoyable SUV I've ever driven. It honestly handles like a smaller car. I'm pretty preferential to as small as possible, but I could totally get used to that, so it seems like definitely a good avenue to pursue.

troyguitar

Reaction score
And at least it's fixed. Wish I could say the same about mine right now. :lol:

Somebody made a good point to me this morning, since I'm moving back to Denver. If I'm going to drop a big down payment on a car or whatever the case is at the time, I should probably consider an all-season vehicle. Of course the alternative is a Spring-Fall vehicle and a cheap Winter car. But, may not be a terrible idea to look into a 2012+ Grand Cherokee SRT. A low mileage one is gonna be Hellcat money though. That said, when there's a Snow mode, lots of ground clearance and you still have 475bhp on tap, it makes sense that they're as much as 707bhp weather-permitting cars, right?

Just thinking really. I do have a friend back in Denver who has a 2013 with an intake, catback, heads, cam and tune who not only drives up the mountain roads in the Winter, but destroys plenty of cars at the drag strip and even takes it upon himself to rallycross it from time to time.

2010-present Audi S4 with a pulley and a tune is the ultimate do-everything car.

AWD Charger R/T with a supercharger works too though :idea:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Asher: Yeah. The only snow driving I've done was in the Charger on "all-seasons"... :lol:

There are always the '06-'10 GC SRT8's as well. They don't have a snow mode or anything, but I'm sure some winter tires would get one through just fine. I prefer the looks of the older ones; those centered exhaust tips are just lovely. I think their biggest issue in the snow would be the lower front end. But, they are substantially cheaper.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
2010-present Audi S4 with a pulley and a tune is the ultimate do-everything car.

AWD Charger R/T with a supercharger works too though :idea:

I love the S4's. But I have a few friends with them and they always seem to be in an endless pit of repair bills. Expensive repair bills. Then again, they could just be dumb or unlucky.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I love the S4's. But I have a few friends with them and they always seem to be in an endless pit of repair bills. Expensive repair bills. Then again, they could just be dumb or unlucky.

New 3.0T S4's or pre-2010 ones? The old ones are pretty bad for reliability.

Tj_saxon

Reaction score
90's model MR2 is the way to go. Looks like a Ferrari, has the 3sgte in it ( the n/a has a 5sfe and thats still a stout little motor). I've owned about 20 cars and my MR2 (sw20's) where by far my favorite when it came to just fun little cars.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Didn't have time to snag a photo, but I saw an Alfa Romeo 4C driving around today.

Beauty of a car, but they look even better in Spider form.

Weird to see a car like that in the States, especially my part of Charlotte. :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score
90's model MR2 is the way to go. Looks like a Ferrari, has the 3sgte in it ( the n/a has a 5sfe and thats still a stout little motor). I've owned about 20 cars and my MR2 (sw20's) where by far my favorite when it came to just fun little cars.

MR2 Turbo is one of the coolest cars ever, like a Porsche Cayman but cheaper and 15 years earlier. Speaking of 90's japanese cars that look like Ferrari's, a 3000GT VR4 would be a pretty awesome and fun all-weather car. 91-93 body style is the best looking but 94-99 have the better transmission.

BobVR4JICsGew2.jpg

Tj_saxon

Reaction score
Always wanted a 3000gt. Almost got one but it wasn't vr4 so I ended up walking away from it. Currently in the process of restoring a 76 Toyota celica. So that's the car that's got my attention.... For now.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
oh weird, I've never heard anything bad about them except for some steering rack issues.

Yeah. Like I said, they could just be dumb or unlucky.

Plenty of good, fun options for Winter or all-season.

slowro

Drunken Scot
Reaction score
Anyone else running a turbo diesel VW?

I have an 2005 passat with the 130 tdi I got 58.5mpg on a long run on country roads out it. I was going to tune it but I won't get any decent figures to make it worth it

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Anyone else running a turbo diesel VW?

I have an 2005 passat with the 130 tdi I got 58.5mpg on a long run on country roads out it. I was going to tune it but I won't get any decent figures to make it worth it

That's like, 1/5 of what I get out of my entire tank. :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
:lol:

I get 28-30 doing 80 on highway trips, but like, 15 in the city...

For kicks I went and tested getting that fencing bag of mine into a WRX. Actually fit fine and was even pretty easy to get in there, too... very comparable trunk space to the 3s with this version of the sedan.

Of course then I go home and figure out that I was fvcking retarded and can get the bag in mine without folding a seat after all :facepalm:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
So uh.

My dad just sold the '73 to a collector who refurbs and restores old Porsches.

For 40k :holy:

With all the body rust, rotting floorboards, cracking and dying interior, fogged dials and all...

')