The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I bet he could sell it for at least twice that after he restores it :lol:

ed: things are afoot!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
When I set car goals for myself, i try to test drive them wayyyy early.

Well, today I decided to go test drive the Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack. Spent a good amount of time in both the manual and the auto.

*prepares for the hate* :lol:

I enjoyed the auto more. Yeah, that's right, I said it. The manual was a blast; maybe if it had the Viper's manual (like the SRT does) things would be different, doubt it though. The Scat Pack does get the same auto that the SRT and SRT Hellcat do, and it's goddamn good. Those 160 millisecond shifts are spectacular. And sitting in 8th gear at 70 mph on the highway, getting 25+ mpg, in almost total silence because it's hardly turning any RPMs was great.

So I mean... the auto still allows plenty of involvement with the paddles, gets better gas mileage, won't irritate me in traffic (which I spent a lot of time in), shifts faster than a human can and allows me to be in full auto mode when I'm just feeling lazy. It would be my daily; if it were a weekend car, maybe I'd still go for the manual.

So I guess the plan is to wait till the Shaker models are released and then hit the used market; because if things go well, by that point I should only be financing a small portion of it, if at all.

Edit: What I find odd, is that you can option out the Scat Packs to cost more than the SRT... that's ridiculous, because you won't have the adjustable Bilstein shocks, the SRT Performance Pages, the 6 piston Brembos up front, the Viper tranny (should you go manual), etc. I guess you'd just be doing that for the Bee badges and whatnot at that point. Me? I'd have the nice, heated cloth seats (not cooled, not where I'll be living), the standard Scat Pack wheels, Shaker and the 8.4" UConnect screen (mainly for the ease of switching between different transmission and traction modes, though it's also just nice looking and allows for more EQ on the stereo). No front and rear cameras, no leather, no SRT wheels, none of that.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Automatic? might as well get the v6 too nancy.

I'm also considering a chick car though... Now that my gf has a 5-door hatch instead of a little coupe, I'm thinking about downsizing my Vibe GT to a Celica GTS. Same engine and transmission, 300 lb lighter car that's smaller, lower, faster and better handling.

my_celica_003.jpg

also considering mr2 spyder but they have zero storage space which kind of sucks for an every day car

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Those Celica GTS's are so much fun to hoon around in. Great choice for a cheap, reliable daily :yesway:

So uh.

My dad just sold the '73 to a collector who refurbs and restores old Porsches.

For 40k :holy:

With all the body rust, rotting floorboards, cracking and dying interior, fogged dials and all...

Where did he find that guy? That's absurd. My dad has let his mint '70 911T sit for like a year now with all the rebuild parts sitting in a box next to it. I wonder if he knows what it's worth :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Those Celica GTS's are so much fun to hoon around in. Great choice for a cheap, reliable daily :yesway:

Where did he find that guy? That's absurd. My dad has let his mint '70 911T sit for like a year now with all the rebuild parts sitting in a box next to it. I wonder if he knows what it's worth :lol:

Through one of the Porsche shops he was getting repair quotes from. Tell your dad to go ask around, seriously.

It'd be worth like 30% more if it were the original engine, but it's from its sister car.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Not Ebay, but looking at a few cars that dealers have posted online that are.. multiple states away and might be very difficult to see in person - one in NJ, one in MA. I expect short of taking two days to go up and back, I have to rely on pictures, or just not do it..?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Rely on pictures and do all of your communicating in email to have stuff in writing - and then do not be afraid to go home empty handed if the car/deal doesn't live up to your expectations.

I'm probably going to end up doing the same if I do get a celica since by now they're relatively rare (especially a manual gts). The one I like best right now is 8 hrs away.

shadscbr

Reaction score
What are some sports car recommendations for under 18k? My e36 M3 was totaled a few weeks ago so I'm back in the market. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

1. AP2 S2000
2. Another really clean E36 (I have about 2k in parts laying around so this is the smart choice :lol:)
3. BMW M Coupe (S52)
4. High mile E46 M3
5. Boxster S
6. Mazdaspeed Miata

I want something fairly small and toss-able. I've also considered looking at C5 Z06's but they always look so huge and I would never be able to use 400hp (not to keen on the E46 for the same reason). Car will be my daily and will have to endure about 2 autocrosses a month.

In addition to the other recommendations so far, i think the BRZ/FRS could fit. Its not super fast, but it seems like it could offer a low mileage, reliable option to pull double duty...i'm pretty sure you can fit a set of autox wheel/tires in the back, good luck :)

Shad

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Rely on pictures and do all of your communicating in email to have stuff in writing - and then do not be afraid to go home empty handed if the car/deal doesn't live up to your expectations.

I'm probably going to end up doing the same if I do get a celica since by now they're relatively rare (especially a manual gts). The one I like best right now is 8 hrs away.

Yeah. If it were day trippable I'd be so much happier, but Jersey is about six and a half each way, and the city in MA is like 9 :ugh:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Love this. I know a lot of people don't like Jonny for some reason, but he's my favorite C&D reviewer. I suppose maybe because he's moreso on the level of the average enthusiast... He has that "screw the technical stuff, do I love this car or not?" sort of mentality.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Suddenly, C7 Z06's losing to Hellcats doesn't look so bad...

:eek:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
About damn time. The SV should be an absolute beast!

Kobalt

Reaction score
When I set car goals for myself, i try to test drive them wayyyy early.

Well, today I decided to go test drive the Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack. Spent a good amount of time in both the manual and the auto.

*prepares for the hate* :lol:

I enjoyed the auto more. Yeah, that's right, I said it. The manual was a blast; maybe if it had the Viper's manual (like the SRT does) things would be different, doubt it though. The Scat Pack does get the same auto that the SRT and SRT Hellcat do, and it's goddamn good. Those 160 millisecond shifts are spectacular. And sitting in 8th gear at 70 mph on the highway, getting 25+ mpg, in almost total silence because it's hardly turning any RPMs was great.

So I mean... the auto still allows plenty of involvement with the paddles, gets better gas mileage, won't irritate me in traffic (which I spent a lot of time in), shifts faster than a human can and allows me to be in full auto mode when I'm just feeling lazy. It would be my daily; if it were a weekend car, maybe I'd still go for the manual.

So I guess the plan is to wait till the Shaker models are released and then hit the used market; because if things go well, by that point I should only be financing a small portion of it, if at all.
Right there with ya, dude, manual is fun...but not daily driving fun... :yesway:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Right there with ya, dude, manual is fun...but not daily driving fun... :yesway:

:agreed:

Glad someone agrees haha. Believe me, a part of me felt ashamed of myself when I realized the Auto would be the best (and fastest) decision. :lol:

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
If I had a gnarly daily commute, I would give serious thought to an automatic (assuming it was actually, you know, good). It being faster is a bonus.

Latest posts

')