The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
By the time I get it, I will have a 45-60 minute drive to work. Traffic should be minimal until leaving the tollway 30 mins in.

It really is a good transmission. I've heard a couple automotive journalists say it's the best "slushbox" you can get. I know one guy said he prefers it to the new Z06's 8 speed, which is slightly quicker, but isn't as diverse in its settings. The Chrysler one can go from "hardly felt the shift" to "I really shouldn't lean forward when I do that".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That's pretty reasonable.

Good autos have gotten so much better too. I had a 320i loaner last month for a couple days, and the tranny combined with the drive /suspension setting was actually... really nice. Switching from super smooth eco mode to something that gets pretty close to my 330's steering and suspension and a super aggressive shift? Yes please. I didn't feel like I was fighting it at all, which is how I usually get with autos.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yeah, automatics really have come a long way in recent years.

The one thing I felt it needed... full paddles. They're basically just the top 1/3-1/2 of most paddles. But whatever, I think I'll live.

The really tough decision will be color choice. Do I go Sublime with flat black decals again? Probably, just to be honest. I mean, combined with the Shaker, it's just an obnoxious fvcking car and I will love every mile. :lol:

Kobalt

Reaction score
I've got about...nine months until I've paid off the financing on this...purple micro-machine, and I've been planning ahead to see what kind of cars I would buy.

For one thing, I want to go back to something similar to the Grand Prix that I had, but with added options. Initially was very interested in looking into a 2007-2008 Nissan Maxima SE, but everyone has convinced me to stay the hell away from CVT's, which are a plague Nissan made standard in 2007... Have been eying 2004-2008 Grand Prix's, but the loaded and supercharged ones are MIA or too high mileage for me...

Don't know which direction to go, right now... 2008-2009 Subaru Legacy 3.0R could be an option, but haven't given it much research...

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I loved my '04 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition. I loved my friend's '07 GXP more though. :lol:

You can find those GXP's pretty cheap these days. They're surprisingly quick.

Kobalt

Reaction score
I loved my '04 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition. I loved my friend's '07 GXP more though. :lol:

You can find those GXP's pretty cheap these days. They're surprisingly quick.
I wouldn't turn down the opportunity if there was a really sweet deal on one, but they aren't exactly cheap in my part of the world...or common, for that matter. Also, I find the idea of a FWD V8 to be RIDICULOUSLY stupid. :lol:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I wouldn't turn down the opportunity if there was a really sweet deal on one, but they aren't exactly cheap in my part of the world...or common, for that matter. Also, I find the idea of a FWD V8 to be RIDICULOUSLY stupid. :lol:

Because it IS stupid. But, with the wider tires up front, torque steer was pretty minimal. I wish they had never switched Grand Prixs to FWD. Imagine like a '00 GTP Coupe with RWD and even a manual, it would be great!

On another note, after testing those Challengers... does anyone else miss turning a key? Turning the engine over with a button is kind of cool, but I did miss the key. At least with the manual you still have to depress the clutch, so you're doing something...

troyguitar

Reaction score
On the automatics you have to hold the brake down to start them IIRC, but yeah I always go to take the key out of the ignition when I drive my gf's new mazda with that push button stuff.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yes you do have to hold the brake down. Which is slightly odd, since most have remote starts.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
There is a kind of satisfying mechanical feedback to turning a key, but fobs are otherwise way easier to deal with IMO.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
So, after tons and tons of research, broken cars, and potential insurance policy doubles, I made the best decision ever.

safzCZM.jpg

My dad graciously let me borrow it while trying to find a new car, and then surprised me with the title, a payment plan, and a smile.

While I'm terrified of driving a 1 of 265 in the world, 345hp go-kart, I can not express how happy I am that I OWN A F-CKING CORVETTE ARE YOU SERIOUS WHAT EVEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO PAY OFF THAT MUCH HOLY SH-T

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
Dude, AWESOME. Congrats and take good care of her :yesway:

You know it!

*Does burnout and crashes into concrete wall because 18 year old with fast car*

:lol:

Seriously though, thanks man.

It's really easy to drive with the flow of traffic thanks to the butter-esque clutch (Coming from what felt like a brick in the 911), and aside from the loudness of air whooshing by, it's so comfortable. Needs moar loud exhaust though. :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score
used headers and z06 titanium exhaust = winning

I went with corsa on mine and it sounds great but the headers+ti setup is a better choice.

Forrest_H

How can she slap?
Reaction score
used headers and z06 titanium exhaust = winning

I went with corsa on mine and it sounds great but the headers+ti setup is a better choice.

Luckily it came with the C5Z exhaust when he bought it! :lol: I've been playing around with the tuner software my dad got, seems when he tuned it he gave it some lifter rattle. I'm sending off the oil filter to see if it's something I need to tune out immediately or something I can wait for my dad to come home to deal with :lol:

shadscbr

Reaction score
So, after tons and tons of research, broken cars, and potential insurance policy doubles, I made the best decision ever.

My dad graciously let me borrow it while trying to find a new car, and then surprised me with the title, a payment plan, and a smile.

While I'm terrified of driving a 1 of 265 in the world, 345hp go-kart, I can not express how happy I am that I OWN A F-CKING CORVETTE ARE YOU SERIOUS WHAT EVEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO PAY OFF THAT MUCH HOLY SH-T

Congrats Forrest, that's awesome!! :yesway:

have some tail-out fun for me :)

Shad

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Finally found that Virginia will issue temporary permits to move unregistered vehicles. So, if all goes according to plan, and it's as clean in person as it looks in the photos (and drives well, doesn't reek, doesn't hum, etc), I'll be driving something new down from Massachusetts Saturday!

*knocks on wood*

Thall My Circuits

All My Circuits
Reaction score
I've been doing the car thing for a few years now. I drive a 2002 Mazda Protege5 (2.0L 5spd), my wife drives a 2004 Mazda3 Sedan (2.3L, 5spd), and we also own a 1966 Mustang Coupe (289 V8, auto, Factory A/C, 38k miles)

Here is my Protege5's build thread
JDM_Pro5's Build Thread
0381_zps4vxf5lcz.jpg

20141216_095647_zpsqukjslfu.jpg

troyguitar

Reaction score
Those P5's look like awesome little hatches, it's a shame the speed version was sedan-only or I'd probably have one myself.

I'm going to finally test drive an 01 celica gts tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it feels compared to my fatter car with the same drivetrain.

Latest posts

')