The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
^Jealous. Just hanging out with your car on an awesome road is one of the best times ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

troyguitar

Reaction score
So I just sold my complicated expensive Audi allroad and am looking at replacing it with one of these babies:

34138873830.341025227.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Pontiac Vibe GT

It's a Toyota Corrola hatchback with a Pontiac badge and the 180 hp 8400 RPM Yamaha/Toyota engine used in the Lotus Elise, with a nice 6 speed manual.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
So I just sold my complicated expensive Audi allroad and am looking at replacing it with one of these babies:

34138873830.341025227.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Pontiac Vibe GT

It's a Toyota Corrola hatchback with a Pontiac badge and the 180 hp 8400 RPM Yamaha/Toyota engine used in the Lotus Elise, with a nice 6 speed manual.

Cool stuff. I have a 2007 Vibe base model with the 1.8 1ZZFE engine and auto trans. It's a very reliable vehicle, and I yield about 28-35 mpg on average. On the outside, it's Pontiac, but the powertrain is all Toyota, so you get the legendary Toyota reliability. Only issue I had with the car was the ECM, but it was covered under a recall anyway.

The front passenger seat and rear seats all fold down flat, so you can get a very impressive amount of cargo space. Plenty of room for musical gear!

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
2.8L Kenne Bell, by the end of this year. It will be mine... oh yes, it will be mine.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Any of you fine people care to give some tips on lowering a car?

It's my '07 Charger Daytona R/T. I was parked in between 2 SRT8's at a meet this evening, and their ride height just looks so much better. SRT's are about an inch lower than mine.

I know the Mopar Stage 1 springs will take it down about 1 1/2" after settling and that's fine, it'll look really nice. Question is... shocks. Mine has Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks. I know on a lot of cars, lowering springs without new shocks tends to not end well. Someone told me that if i order Mopar or Eibach springs, I could also get some KYB (I think?) shocks for about $30/shock. Anyone know if that's really necessary since I have some pretty nice shocks as standard?

EDIT: Okay, as I assumed, I will have to get normal rear shocks. That's fine.

People are trying to convince me to get coilovers or bags... i can't imagine I want anything to do with either of those. I don't need to be able to adjust height; I just want it to be 1"-1 1/2" lower lol.

Bekanor

Renegade Folk Hero
Reaction score
Picked this up today, love love love.

A nicer shot from the ad:

Very interesting moving from a 2.5L 4 cylinder to a 4.0L 6. I saw the traction control light a lot today. :agreed:

The Griffinator

Reaction score
Any of you fine people care to give some tips on lowering a car?

It's my '07 Charger Daytona R/T. I was parked in between 2 SRT8's at a meet this evening, and their ride height just looks so much better. SRT's are about an inch lower than mine.

I know the Mopar Stage 1 springs will take it down about 1 1/2" after settling and that's fine, it'll look really nice. Question is... shocks. Mine has Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks. I know on a lot of cars, lowering springs without new shocks tends to not end well. Someone told me that if i order Mopar or Eibach springs, I could also get some KYB (I think?) shocks for about $30/shock. Anyone know if that's really necessary since I have some pretty nice shocks as standard?

EDIT: Okay, as I assumed, I will have to get normal rear shocks. That's fine.

People are trying to convince me to get coilovers or bags... i can't imagine I want anything to do with either of those. I don't need to be able to adjust height; I just want it to be 1"-1 1/2" lower lol.

I'm in the same boat with my car. I'm saving for coilovers for a few reasons. I live in Ontario, where it has the tendancy to snow, and being able to lift my car an inch or two when it starts flying will be a huge plus. May not be huge concern for you given the apparent climate in you pictures though, lol. The other thing with coilovers is that it's not just ride height you can adjust, but the dampers in a lot of cases are adjustable as well. The ability to fine tune my suspension and get that perfect balance between comfort, looks, and performance is worth the extra cost to me. I'd hate to spend money on new springs and shocks for them, only to end up with sub par ride quality.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I've been doing a lot of research and talking to the other members of the club I'm in; seems comfort really didn't change for any of the guys in Daytonas and SRT8s. But cornering, MPG, braking and acceleration all improved a lot.

Normally, I'd totally go for an expensive setup... but I'm planning to add a 2015 Charger SRT8 Super Bee to my garage when they're released. Assuming it looks as good as I'm expecting it to, of course.

I was originally debating between a C7 Z51 Stingray and some sort of Challenger; but I have this strange feeling I'm going to fall in love with the new Charger. The teaser photo is worrying a lot of people, but the same thing happened with the last one and it ended up being very popular. We'll see. It'll have over 500hp, that's for sure.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Buy the vette dude. 1000 lbs lighter and comes with a real transmission, not to mention 30+ mpg on the highway, infinitely better handling, and heads-up display.

IIRC I read on my old car forum that a guy with a Charger R/T got some cheap Tein springs and really liked them.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Buy the vette dude. 1000 lbs lighter and comes with a real transmission, not to mention 30+ mpg on the highway, infinitely better handling, and heads-up display.

IIRC I read on my old car forum that a guy with a Charger R/T got some cheap Tein springs and really liked them.

Yes yes, I know all this about the Vette. But... more expensive to maintain and I'll rarely get to actually USE its incredible performance. We'll see. I really want the Vette; the new Super Bee is going to have to blow me away to make me choose it over a C7. But it very well can with the right styling and numbers, as I'm quie the lover of performance sedans.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
I got rid of my Cummins so the wife get a new hoopty, and I'm now in the market for a new bike.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^my Dad just got a Victory. I haven't seen it yet, but he said it's a _______ 8 Ball. Terrible at remembering bike names haha.

Edit: Oh yeah, attached is a photo I took of the actual Crossfire SRT6 that beat Richard Hammond's Viper on that episode of Top Gear with the LF-A, V12 Vanquish and Viper. Owner told me it's making about 400rwhp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989 KB · Views: 19

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yes yes, I know all this about the Vette. But... more expensive to maintain and I'll rarely get to actually USE its incredible performance. We'll see. I really want the Vette; the new Super Bee is going to have to blow me away to make me choose it over a C7. But it very well can with the right styling and numbers, as I'm quie the lover of performance sedans.

I'd love a performance sedan if anyone made a small/light/cheap one that was actually focused on performance. Think a Chevy version of the mid-spec Cadillac ATS: 2.0 turbo 4-cylinder pushing ~300 hp, 6 speed manual trans, RWD with an actual LSD, brembo brakes, and without the extra Cadillac luxury bits they could get the weight down to 3200 lbs along with a price tag of $30k or just under.

Unfortunately it seems that will never exist though, so I bought a used sports car instead. The closest you can get is an E36 4-door BMW M3 but they're now rather old, expensive, and slow without extensive mods like a $5k+ supercharger kit to make it quick.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Suppose I should say... muscle/power sedans? :lol:

I'm a big fan of large, heavy cars with big numbers. Always have been.

Charger SRT8s and Daytonas/Road And Track optioned, 300 SRT8, G8 GXP, Chevy SS (even if it is a bit... dull looking), RS6, CLS/E/C/S series AMG's, M5's, CTS V's, etc.

They're just so much fun to throw around. Sometimes I do wish mine had a manual; but with my tune, if i leave it in auto, it knows when I'm driving with a little more spirit. Obviously that isn't the same as having a clutch but... still loads of fun.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I like that stuff but I can't afford to put fuel/tires/brakes/suspensions/engines/transmissions/etc. into something like that, especially since I run my car flat out in road course time trial competitions.

If I had an infinite budget I would absolutely be running a 6-speed CTS-V wagon, but it would literally cost somewhere around 5 times as much as my Z06 in order to run the same lap times, maybe more.

I think the ultimate daily driver street car is the E90 M3, but again too expensive for me at this point.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Oh for sure man, I wouldn't use any of them for a track (except a drag strip). For me, right now, it's all about being a sweet ass daily driver that can also give me a little fun on the desolate, twisty desert roads.

For road courses AND being a daily driver... I think I'd try to get my hands on an E46 M3 and hope that I could drop an E93's V8 in it eventually. Kind of like that gen's M3 GTR. :lol:

ddtonfire

Reaction score
For road courses AND being a daily driver... I think I'd try to get my hands on an E46 M3 and hope that I could drop an E93's V8 in it eventually. Kind of like that gen's M3 GTR. :lol:

This would be sick. I'd love to do it with mine, but I also love my S54. Maybe if it ever grenades and I have the resources to do a swap, I'll try it.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
This would be sick. I'd love to do it with mine, but I also love my S54. Maybe if it ever grenades and I have the resources to do a swap, I'll try it.

Hell yeah dude. One of the best sounding V8's to ever exist. It would be one of the very few cars I'd be willing to make a clone of.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

')