The Carvin 7XX Club!

space frog

Reaction score
That actually kinda surprises me that they would accept doing that. After all their pickups are pretty solid (IMO) and it would be normal from a company if they didn't give you the choice to have the parts they build on their products. But if they really do install the pups you want under certain conditions, that's what I call being open-minded and I really respect that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
theyd probably route for the size as an opt 50, but from what ive heard they will not install them under any circumstances. i remember someone saying that it would be like asking a dodge dealer to put in a ford engine

man i hope they really do offer that whenever i get the cash together to order one. that would be super sweet if they install them too but i have no problem putting them in myself just to get the proper routes. :metal:

MikeDojcsak

Reaction score
I got a set of BKP's and had them sent to Carvin and they're going to install them for me. Their customer service has been dead on the entire course of my build so far. I don't have a negative thing to say.

fabriarockz

Lefty! What the Fur?
Reaction score
figured I might share a few interesting videos

Now, someone please help me stop the drooling I have got after watching tat CT7M...

:eek: :yum: :drool: :holy: :drool: :yum: :eek:

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
I called back in December asking Carvin if they were willing to route my DC727 for BKPs and install them. After getting transferred a few times on the phone, I was told that they would if I sent them the guitar, pickups, and $60~.

Reaction score
My ash/maple/koa 727, with BKP Blackhawks...

IMG_0990_zpsb724ea31.jpg

IMG_0992_zps71240250.jpg

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/229029-ngd-carvin-727-faded-denim-bkps.html

space frog

Reaction score
Hey I just checked up the guitar builder on Carvin's site and it seems like Faded Denim is not an available finish, did you contact them to get it done or am I missing out on something??

illimmigrant

A Different Logic
Reaction score
It's a custom finish.
You'd have to get them on the phone and request it. It'll be put down as an "option 50" with an additional fee and surrendering of the 10-day trial period.

Hey I just checked up the guitar builder on Carvin's site and it seems like Faded Denim is not an available finish, did you contact them to get it done or am I missing out on something??

Reaction score
^ Guys, I'm not sure about the finish. I am not the original owner of this guitar, so I didn't put in the order. But far as I know "faded denim" is an option 50, like illimmigrant said. :yesway:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Indeed. That used to be Matt's (HighGain510) guitar. You could probably ask him directly, but Carvin WILL do pretty much any finish you ask them to, though a lot of them will be option 50's. Examples would be faded denim, and the ever-awesome "spiderman" finish (look up Michael Hebo's "Icarus Lives!" cover on YouTube to see it in action).

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep if you call Carvin and talk to someone over the phone you can specify faded denim as the finish option and they'll do it for an upcharge. :yesway:

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Anyone leave the stock pickups in/not planning on putting in other pickups? I've yet to play my DC727 through a non-shitastic amplifier so I'm not sure how good or bad the pickups are. My RG7621 with Deactivators sounds equally shitty. Must get better amp.

Core2x

Reaction score
Some pics of my Carvin! Thinking about swapping the 'stock pickups'. (I'm really into BKP Black Hawk's)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edika

Reaction score
^First off really nice DC700 you got there. Very nice top and I love the purple! Is it blackburst edges or the back is painted black?

Anyone leave the stock pickups in/not planning on putting in other pickups? I've yet to play my DC727 through a non-shitastic amplifier so I'm not sure how good or bad the pickups are. My RG7621 with Deactivators sounds equally shitty. Must get better amp.

When I had my DC747 I played it through a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. They were nice pickups and somewhere between medium and high output pickups. You could do a lot of things with them and for stock pups they were very good. I changed them after 3 years I had the guitar with a D-Sonic/Airnorton combo and saw improvement in clarity and definition especially with Airnorton. I think however that if you play them in a better amp you will be pleasantly surprised and they will surely give you a different sound from the D-activators.

sear

Reaction score
Holy shit, that is a sweet purple flame. Only thing I'd change is natural binding along the edges, would really make the guitar stand out.

The stock A70 pickups are very, very good. They sound huge, powerful, and tonally rich, but also remain articulate. Cleans are nice, and get nice dynamics if you play with the volume and tone knobs. I have absolutely no plans to change mine... pretty much ever.

I can't comment on the passive pickups personally, however I know that the C22s are very much geared towards a more vintage classic rock sound. The ones in the 727 and 747 were not really tweaked properly for a 7-string, which is probably why most people don't like them much. I haven't heard any impressions of the new pickups they have in more recent guitars, maybe they have a more appropriate voicing.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
When I had my DC747 I played it through a Mesa Boogie Triple Rec. They were nice pickups and somewhere between medium and high output pickups. You could do a lot of things with them and for stock pups they were very good. I changed them after 3 years I had the guitar with a D-Sonic/Airnorton combo and saw improvement in clarity and definition especially with Airnorton. I think however that if you play them in a better amp you will be pleasantly surprised and they will surely give you a different sound from the D-activators.

The stock A70 pickups are very, very good. They sound huge, powerful, and tonally rich, but also remain articulate. Cleans are nice, and get nice dynamics if you play with the volume and tone knobs. I have absolutely no plans to change mine... pretty much ever.

I can't comment on the passive pickups personally, however I know that the C22s are very much geared towards a more vintage classic rock sound. The ones in the 727 and 747 were not really tweaked properly for a 7-string, which is probably why most people don't like them much. I haven't heard any impressions of the new pickups they have in more recent guitars, maybe they have a more appropriate voicing.

I see. Thanks for the responses, mangs. :yesway:

clopstyle

Reaction score
Ooh, what options are these?

DC700M

726 C26 Pickups/Passive Electronics/5 Way Switch
FTC Clear Flame
WAL Maple Neck & Walnut Body
5WM 5 Piece Walnut/Maple Neck
FPH Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Color
-7PH 7-String Pointed Headstock 4+3 (Standard)
-EB Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
NIN No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
STF Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
-R14 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
BC Black Hardware
-A70B A70B Bridge Pickup (Standard)
-A70N A70N Neck Pickup (Standard)
-400 Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)
-1056 Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)
HC10 Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

')