The Carvin 7XX Club!

space frog

Reaction score
Yep if you call Carvin and talk to someone over the phone you can specify faded denim as the finish option and they'll do it for an upcharge. :yesway:

Awesome, thanks to the info guys. I'll have a tough decision between a second Carvin and a Jackson DKA8 this summer I think :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crabface

Reaction score
Hey guys,
This Is my first post on this forum and hopefully it'll be worthwhile for me. Sorry if its in the wrong place but I just thought that I should ask people with first hand experience. So...

Ok.
This thread was obviously too long and deterring replies. Didn't realize just I long it was.
Lets make this more like the thread title suggests.

I planning on ordering a Carvin DC727 in the very near future and ive almost completely decided on the specs but I'm having trouble with one or two options. Ill be using it mostly for progressive rock and metal and all of that nonsense but that includes all the touchy feely clean stuff the goes alongside it. I want growling lows and sparkly highs with present but not pushing mids.

Spec my build:

1) Maple Neck-Through w/ figured walnut top and -
a) Swamp Ash wings (Leaning towards this).
b) Alder wings
c) Mahogany wings (I'd probably least like this option).

2) Neck Cosmetics & Reinforcements and stuff.
a) 5pc Maple/Walnut Neck (maple w/ 2 walnut stripes).
b) 1pc Maple Neck

3) Guitar Finish
a) Full Tung-Oil Neck AND Body
b) Clear Poly Body and Tung-Oil Neck
c) Full Poly Neck and Body
d) Poly body and satin neck
e) Full satin neck and body

4) Fretwire - (Im into all the shreddy stuff and I like reasonably low action).
a) Med-Jumbo
b) Jumbo

Thanks guys, if this should be in a different sub-forum please tell me.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
^ id personally go:

swamp ash wings
5 piece maple walnut neck
satin neck and body
stainless steel frets

the swamp ash wings are key if you want full lows and bright highs

Orikon

Reaction score
I agree with kevdes, except I like tung oil, the guitar feels so soft and smooth on my carvin (I have it neck and body)

Reaction score
Maybe someone in this thread can answer this question:

If I get a regular finish and add the blackburst edges, will that also make the back of the guitar + neck have blackburst edges?

I guess a better way of phrasing would be - if I chose radiation green + burst edges as my finish, would the back of the guitar match the front?

Crabface

Reaction score
^ id personally go:

swamp ash wings
5 piece maple walnut neck
satin neck and body
stainless steel frets

the swamp ash wings are key if you want full lows and bright highs

Thanks. Can you tell me whether there are any other real advantage that the 5pc neck brings other than cosmetics?
As for the frets - I was asking about the size, not the material, I was ready gonna go for SS anyway, but thanks a lot.
I'm liking the looks of this forum so far :) Lots of pics.

Crabface

Reaction score
I agree with kevdes, except I like tung oil, the guitar feels so soft and smooth on my carvin (I have it neck and body)

Does the tung oil need any maintenance? Is it protective enough, in your opinion?
Thanks.

BTW guys, has anyone tried emailing carvin before? I emailed them a few days ago regarding a few "option 50" things (the standard - pickup routing and stuff and costs) and they haven't replied yet.

Orikon

Reaction score
Does the tung oil need any maintenance? Is it protective enough, in your opinion?
Thanks.

BTW guys, has anyone tried emailing carvin before? I emailed them a few days ago regarding a few "option 50" things (the standard - pickup routing and stuff and costs) and they haven't replied yet.

The tung oil does need maintenance. However, despite what some people will say, it only comes down to keeping your guitar clean and cleaning it with lemon oil twice a year (which you should really be doing anyway if you care for your guitars at all, and you probably do).

It's also not very protective, it is the natural wood with no real finish except for some oils. It won't protect the wood like a polyeurethane finish will, but a nick in a gloss finish and a nick in tung oil are both equally undesired in my opinion. I personally like it because the woods look and feel really good, and I take care of it.

I've also heard that a satin finish can get "shiny" in some places due to wear, but I also doubt that this will really happen if you take good care of your guitar. I am also unsure as to whether a satin finish protects the guitar more than tung oil.

I think it really just comes down to personal preference and how well you'll take care of your guitar. Just note that some woods don't take to tung oil too well, such as spalted maple which is maple that has started to rot before being cut. Spalted maple generally needs a polyeurethane finish as tung oil could run the risk of having the oils penetrate the wood over time and cause the rotting process to start again (this is over a long time, not in a week or a year).

I also emailed them once about changing the shipping address and received an answer in a couple of days, but the answer was short and cursory on the order of "yes, you can." Which I suppose technically answered my question, but didn't tell me how to do it. I also called them twice, once at around 4:30 and another time earlier in the day. The first time they didn't answer, and apparently the phones turn off at around 4:30, despite the fact that they say they're open until 5, but the guy explained that the second time I called them. They were really nice on the phone and explained things really well the second time. So I would suggest calling them if you have questions and want good answers, as in my experience their emails weren't to great.

Thanks. Can you tell me whether there are any other real advantage that the 5pc neck brings other than cosmetics?
As for the frets - I was asking about the size, not the material, I was ready gonna go for SS anyway, but thanks a lot.
I'm liking the looks of this forum so far :) Lots of pics.

The stripe is supposed to add support to the neck, but in the case of maple with walnut stripe it's most likely cosmetic as two stripes of walnut aren't going to impact the tone.

sear

Reaction score
Call them. I have e-mailed them several times in the past and I never got so much as a confirmation they received the message.

MikeDojcsak

Reaction score
How close are they on the finish dates? I've heard receiving the guitar a week after the completion day, directly on the day and in some cases, before the day.

My postcard said the day would be the 26th of March. Getting really excited to get the guitar! How close will it be, estimates?

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
How close are they on the finish dates? I've heard receiving the guitar a week after the completion day, directly on the day and in some cases, before the day.

My postcard said the day would be the 26th of March. Getting really excited to get the guitar! How close will it be, estimates?

Mine arrived in 6 weeks, before the date in the post card.

It depends on when you order your guitar. I ordered in August, which happens to be a slow-business-time for them.

Post pictures of your new baby!!

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I haven't used lemon oil on the back if my tung oiled neck and it seems fine. Had it for 2 years... Should probably get some though to be safe...

DANiMALxMD

Reaction score
Just put this order in.

After changing my mind a lot, I finally forced myself to do it because I would just end up changing my mind a million times and not ever order anything.

I needed some color in my guitar collection, so this is what im going with. Next will be a natural wood.

Custom Shop Instrument Details:
Base Price: $ 899.00
DC700 - Seven String Guitar
Right Handed
$ 20.00 - M - Tune-O-Matic Bridge and String Thru Body
$ 380.00 - QDBC - Deep Black Cherry Quilt (Includes DTS Finish)
$ 0.00 - CS - Satin Matte Finish
$ 50.00 - MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany Body
$ 30.00 - BBB - Black Sides w/ Black Burst Back
$ 90.00 - 5MM - 5-Piece All-Maple Neck
$ 0.00 - -GNB - Clear Gloss Finish Back Of Neck (Standard)
$ 50.00 - QPH - Quilted Maple Headstock Matches Body Finish
$ 0.00 - -7PH - 7-String Pointed Headstock 4+3 (Standard)
$ 0.00 - -EF - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
$ 0.00 - NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
$ 40.00 - STJF - Stainless Jumbo Frets .055" H .110" W
$ 0.00 - -R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
$ 60.00 - BBE - Natural Top Wood Body Binding w/ Straight Edges
$ 30.00 - BC - Black Hardware
$ 0.00 - -A70B - A70B Bridge Pickup (Standard, Black Only)
$ 0.00 - -A70N - A70N Neck Pickup (Standard, Black Only)
$ 0.00 - -400 - Black Pickups (Stan dard)
$ 0.00 - WL - White Logo
$ 0.00 - -1056 - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .056 (Standard)
$ 12.00 - ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover Black
Line 1: Dan
Line 2: Dankmeyer
$ 69.00 - HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

--------------------------------------------------------------
$ 1,630.00 - Order Subtotal
$ 29.00 - Shipping & Handling
$ 100.00 - Options Discount
$ 1,659.00 - Your Order Total

Orikon

Reaction score

I got mine a week after it was completed (5 business days + a weekend).

Crabface

Reaction score
The tung oil does need maintenance. However, despite what some people will say, it only comes down to keeping your guitar clean and cleaning it with lemon oil twice a year (which you should really be doing anyway if you care for your guitars at all, and you probably do).

It's also not very protective, it is the natural wood with no real finish except for some oils. It won't protect the wood like a polyeurethane finish will, but a nick in a gloss finish and a nick in tung oil are both equally undesired in my opinion. I personally like it because the woods look and feel really good, and I take care of it.

The stripe is supposed to add support to the neck, but in the case of maple with walnut stripe it's most likely cosmetic as two stripes of walnut aren't going to impact the tone.

Thanks man, I appreciate the post. Definitely helped.
That being said - isn't Lemon Oil on maple a big "no no" or is that only on lacquered maple? The more I think about the more reasonable it seems to me that its only on lacquered maple.
Also, what do you find helps achieve best playability? Jumbo or Med-Jumbo. Obviously it's all preference but I've never really taken notice of what frets I'm playing so I really searching for opinions here.

Also - since I live in Europe getting a carvin isn't as cheap as in the US and obviously isn't as good value.
I'm convinced that's it's great value, regardless, especially since its going to be a beautiful and great playing semi-custom guitar but I'm left wondering whether I might be better of getting a Mayones or Skerveson for a little extra...
There's a certain Mayones that actually has EXACTLY the specs that I've wanted all along that Bulb recently bought at the NAMM show - the Regius MM CW. But its reasonably expensive than the carvin.

What do you guys think? Is the carvin still my option or should I go for Mayones or Skerveson (these are the only options that I'm willing to consider). A big part of it is cosmetics and electronics here, because carvin seem to be very hit and miss. Although there are some stunning ones.

Anyway, sorry about the long post again - hopefully it'll be my last before I take the plunge :)
Thanks in advance.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
I'd go for mayones if you have the cash for one - Consistency is key here, Mayones are proving to very consistent and constantly uping their game. If you don't have the cash, then Carvin. I'd honestly go for Mayones either way, just save up a little longer and you won't regret it. Everything from mayones that I've tried have been amazing! Don't get me wrong, I've thouroughly enjoyed every carvin I've had or tried but Mayones are just on another level.

Skervesen (or any other brand/small luthier for that sake) I'd only consider if I'd tried a few of their guitars and found them to be of good standards. I would advice against jumping on any hype train without knowing very well what you're getting into to. I've not tried any of their instruments though, so don't think I'm trying to shit on their parade or anything, it's just a couple of friendly, general :2c:

Crabface

Reaction score
I'd go for mayones if you have the cash for one - Consistency is key here, Mayones are proving to very consistent and constantly uping their game. If you don't have the cash, then Carvin. I'd honestly go for Mayones either way, just save up a little longer and you won't regret it. Everything from mayones that I've tried have been amazing! Don't get me wrong, I've thouroughly enjoyed every carvin I've had or tried but Mayones are just on another level.

Skervesen (or any other brand/small luthier for that sake) I'd only consider if I'd tried a few of their guitars and found them to be of good standards. I would advice against jumping on any hype train without knowing very well what you're getting into to. I've not tried any of their instruments though, so don't think I'm trying to shit on their parade or anything, it's just a couple of friendly, general :2c:

Thanks for the tip. Price is definitely a problem but ill try to make it work. I also sent Skerveson an enquiry just to check it out.
That said, how do you like your Carvin? Mainly in terms of playability here. How low can you get your action?
Any tips on fret size?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to ask how to clean the maple fretboard. If its tung oiled then lemon oil should be fine... Right?

venrar

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post on the forum as well as buying my first seven string (I have used a seven string before, never owned one though), and I just have a few questions about the carvin guitars.

My current setup I am looking at is:

String Saver Saddles for Fixed Bridge
Maple Neck/Mahogany Body
Tung Oil Finish
5-Piece Walnut Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes
Rosewood Fingerboard
Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
14in Fretboard Radius

I play a lot of progressive and alternative metal along with the standard heavy stuff like death metal, as well as some blues and jazz.

How do you guys think this guitar would handle these genres?
My other main question is the neck thickness, how does it compare to a very thin neck such as the one on my ibanez RG1570 (Wizard Prestige neck), which I am very used to playing. I am not a huge fan of very chunky necks such as on a strat, and this is my main concern. I wouldn't mind a thicker neck than my ibby, but nothing too thick.

Thanks in advance for any replies to my questions, I await your input.

')