The Carvin 7XX Club!

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ Okay, I realize I might be very late with this question, but whatever happened with Carvin using Sperzels on their guitars? o_O Since when did they change to in-house locking tuners? (I'm basing this question on the previously pictured guitar, where the tuners say "Carvin" on the back. I am assuming they're built in-house).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
^ Okay, I realize I might be very late with this question, but whatever happened with Carvin using Sperzels on their guitars? o_O Since when did they change to in-house locking tuners? (I'm basing this question on the previously pictured guitar, where the tuners say "Carvin" on the back. I am assuming they're built in-house).

Yep they have switched about 10 months back or so.

The new ones are also locking tuners (except on kits and basic bolt guitars), and they are very good.
19:1 ratio is very precise, changing strings is a breeze (easier than Sperzels), and they finally look right. e.g. before, they were the matte type of finish from sperzel, which didn't match the gloss chrome or gold hardware. Now they do match.

I much prefer the standard tuners now!

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
^ Huh, that's pretty cool! The Sperzels are 14:1, if I'm not mistaken, and do feel a little imprecise, but they still hold their tuning incredibly well and are well built. I prefer the matte look of the Sperzels (mainly because my Carvin is fully tung oiled), but these aren't bad at all either!

mbardu

Reaction score
^ Huh, that's pretty cool! The Sperzels are 14:1, if I'm not mistaken, and do feel a little imprecise, but they still hold their tuning incredibly well and are well built. I prefer the matte look of the Sperzels (mainly because my Carvin is fully tung oiled), but these aren't bad at all either!

Sperzels are 12:1 I believe and noticeably less precise.

I have both with me right now and I can tell :)

The Sperzels look OK on their own - and can go well with some finishes.

The cosmetic 'problem' though was more than the rest of Carvin hardware (controls, bridge etc) were glossy - so it was quite mismatched. That's splitting hairs, but the new one blend much better IMHO.

diablo_man

Reaction score
Might as well put up another pic or two for you guys!
nMqe8Xr.jpg

0nGC231.jpg

This guitar now has Seymour duncan Sentient and Pegasus pickups in it, and a .65 bass string on the B, and it sounds incredible. plays nice and tight.

Yeah aesthetically i could do with less controls on it, but I especially like the toggles. The coil splitting and phase gets lots of great tones. The bottom two knobs(active bass and treble) i could probably do without and just stick with the top two (volume and passive tone), but i like the placement of the pickup selector better where it is. Not selecting the active eq system, carvin puts the pickup selector farther down the body by the bridge somewhere.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
Well I was going to post pictures of my DC727 but the pictures are so shitty that I'm not going to bother. It's all black with black hardware. Ebony fretboard. Maple neck. Alder body. Pretty standard.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Does anyone have some lefty Carvin 7XX goodness to share ? looking for some ideas on my next purchase..

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty sure you guys will be happy about this:

1383215_476251292496709_1502062374_n.jpg

And yes, that is now a standard option ;) which Mr. Kiesel called a DC700H on his Facebook post.

Carvin is stepping up their game rather quickly!

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
If they had offered a Hipshot 7 choice I'd pick it in a heartbeat!

I think the Hannes 7 option, however, would increase the cost and price of the guitar quite a bit. Carvin seems to like keeping cost down by using as much in-house hardware as possible.

On a normal DC727 or DC700, it is a $70 upcharge for the hipshot 7 bridge now. Go order!

nicktao

Reaction score
If only they added the hipshot and a standard scale to the 6. :(

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
So, I'm pretty sure you guys will be happy about this:

1383215_476251292496709_1502062374_n.jpg

And yes, that is now a standard option ;) which Mr. Kiesel called a DC700H on his Facebook post.

Carvin is stepping up their game rather quickly!

Aaannnnd now my long and hard decision between a Schecter Banshee-7 passive fixed bridge and another Carvin DC700 has officially been decided.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
So happy they've started to allow options like this, really listening to their clients.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
BBE option is just natural body binding. Like this:

9713_CarvinBody_1.jpg

Only applied to straight edges.

J7string

Reaction score
My new DC7X! :D

I figured a few pics belonged here! :agreed:

')