The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Am I wrong or is the new GT headstock just the really old Carvin headstock?

Depends what you mean by "really old". I don't think it's like any I've seen. it does remind me of another company's headstock, but just can't put my finger on what it is...

edit: he just did a side-by-side. Basically, the tip angles the other way, and is a liiiittle smaller.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Roasted maple neck is $100 upgrade (at least for now). With the $100 in free options you can add to any build, you can get a Delos with stainless frets and a roasted maple neck, luminlay side dots, chrome hardware, fixed hipshot bridge, and most of their solid paint colors on an alder body, for the $1049 base price of the model.

Fretboard is $50 (at least for now).

Those costs are an upgrade to be applied to the wood upgrade cost, and can be added to flamed, plain, or birdseye maple.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atticus1088

Reaction score
Am I wrong or is the new GT headstock just the really old Carvin headstock?

Here's a comparison (new on left, old on right). He also mentioned the old headstock was going to be discontinued at some point.

Attachments

• image (3).png
    image (3).png
    204.7 KB · Views: 101

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Here's a comparison (new on left, old on right). He also mentioned the old headstock was going to be discontinued at some point.
I love how Jeff is saying how they are completely different. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks better. But to say it's completely different is an overstatement.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Even the 7s?

No, just the 6. Standard is 24 fret, and 22 is the option (similar to the Aries 6).

wait what? how do I do this?

It's automatic. When you use the online builder, it'll total all of your options, and then it has a seperate line after the subtotal for -$100 (assuming you selected $100 in options). When you call in, it's also automatically applied. It's one of their years and years-long-running specials:
50100.jpg

It does expand the options you can add for no extra cost, over just the free solid paints.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
No, just the 6. Standard is 24 fret, and 22 is the option (similar to the Aries 6).

It's automatic. When you use the online builder, it'll total all of your options, and then it has a seperate line after the subtotal for -$100 (assuming you selected $100 in options). When you call in, it's also automatically applied. It's one of their years and years-long-running specials:
50100.jpg
Oh. I thought all their models just permanently had $100 off. But what your pic says seems to imply that I should be getting another $100 off for a rebate? Lol @ 50% off all options, that permanent MSRP-twice-the-actual-price marketing BS.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Yes, it's also that $100 off.

If you look at any model, there's 3 prices.

Retail or list...i forget which they call it...but it's supposed to be what their (or more accurately, comparable US-made) guitars would cost in a store. Is it really unreasonable to think that a US made neck-through with stainless frets, hipshot bridge, locking tuners, and ebony fingerboard wouldn't be $2k? A PRS Custom 24 is like $3600, no? Kiesel's "list" pricing for the CT624 is $3700 (again with stainless frets and potentially a roasted maple neck in that price.)

Then there's direct, which is their theoretical "normal" price.

Then there's the extra $100 off, which has gone on for quite a few years, and that's the "sale" price.

Then there's also the $100 in free options included in every guitar ($50 on kits, i think).

And finally, there's the at-least-two-decades-long "50% off options" pricing.

Last edited:

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I love how Jeff is saying how they are completely different. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks better. But to say it's completely different is an overstatement.

Devil's advocate: there's only so much that can be done with a 6-inline headstock, without it being derivative and/or ugly.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
No, no, no, hear me out: So, if we start with A in the first space, between the nut and first fret, and we call that the “first note playable on that string,” aka the open string, then B in the second space, corresponding to the first fret, or “second note playable on that string,” and keep going, we get to K, corresponding to the 11th note playable on that string. It’s not for Kiesel, it’s the alphabetization if the inter-fret spacing. It’s really all about the Illuminati and ancient biblical passages. At least that’s what I keep telling myself so I don’t see Jeff’s head in my brain saying, “rad” whenever I play the 12th fret.

FYI that corresponds to French tablature, a letter-based notation style invented during the Renaissance era and used for guitars and lutes.

Maybe Jeff Kiesel is secretly a historian and his persona is really an elaborate ruse or some kind of performance art.

Jason B

Unbanned
Reaction score
The parallels between Jeff and piss artists are there, if you’ve seen enough of his guitars.