The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh, good to know. I know that was a rumor, but didn't know they were marked. I believe that's who made their old non-locking tuners, back when their locking option was Sperzel, too.

By most accounts, they seemed to be "maybe a little better than average" for a licensed Floyd, and there was at least one person I remember from the forum who changed his DC727 or DC747 to an OFR and said it wasn't worth the effort as it wasn't that much better to make up for the work needed and the cost.

They didn't say "Ping" on them, but the saddles had the same markings, and the underside of the baseplate had numbers in line with known Ping units.

We'll probably never know 100%.

You're right though, they really weren't bad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hipshot needs to make a locking trem is what needs to happen.

It would be cool to have a quality competitor to FR.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

"'Am I a joke to you?'
- Hipshot headless trem"
- spudmunkey, using Hipshot's headless trem as a joke

kgtwzyjjvd8ktwa1bost.jpg

Last edited:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

It would be cool to have a quality competitor to FR.
I'd be all on board for this. I'd love to see a more modern approach to the Floyd and feel like Hipshot would be the ones to nail it.

kisielk

Reaction score
Yeah I am kind of surprised there’s no 3rd party trem simile to a Lo Pro Edge. I love that low profile design, much better than the clunky design of a regular floyd with the screws all sticking up.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Yeah I am kind of surprised there’s no 3rd party trem simile to a Lo Pro Edge. I love that low profile design, much better than the clunky design of a regular floyd with the screws all sticking up.
There kinda is. Floyd rose makes the Pro which I have on my MM JP16. It's pretty slim, much nicer than the normal Floyd.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
There kinda is. Floyd rose makes the Pro which I have on my MM JP16. It's pretty slim, much nicer than the normal Floyd.
It also has narrower string spacing. I've been curious how they compare to a LoPro. They're a 1000 series in 7 string.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
It also has narrower string spacing. I've been curious how they compare to a LoPro. They're a 1000 series in 7 string.
Sadly I can't comment on that since I've never owned a LoPro before, I've only briefly played a couple. But as someone who has owned many Edge and Edge Zeros, I have no complaints at all. Setting up the edge is a bit easier but as far as playing wise, it's equally as great.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

There's Hantug, which makes super high end Lo-Pro units.

"'Am I a joke to you?'
- Hipshot headless trem"
- spudmunkey, using Hipshot's headless trem as a joke

kgtwzyjjvd8ktwa1bost.jpg

Eh, those are really good for what they are, but they lack the feel of an FR.

Plus, I don't see them throwing these on headed models anytime soon. :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I still prefer a Floyd to either the Hipshot or Kahler. At the moment, the only game in town for 8 string trems is the Kiesel headless. I have one I picked up second hand, and like it, but I have an Agile 827 with a Floyd and I just much prefer the feel on that. And Kahler’s are just a completely different animal, so it’s not even a fair comparison.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
To me each of the readily-available Floyd 8s has some spec(s) that I just can't deal with. The Agile 827FR inexplicably uses a Kahler-sized nut that puts the strings extremely close to the edges of the board. The Schecter scale is too long for me. And the Apple Horn has those true tempered frets or whatever they're called.

This 26.5" scaled Shredzilla seems to get the basic specs right for my preferences, but I'm sure different folks like different things.

trem licking

Reaction score
To me each of the readily-available Floyd 8s has some spec(s) that I just can't deal with. The Agile 827FR inexplicably uses a Kahler-sized nut that puts the strings extremely close to the edges of the board. The Schecter scale is too long for me. And the Apple Horn has those true tempered frets or whatever they're called.

This 26.5" scaled Shredzilla seems to get the basic specs right for my preferences, but I'm sure different folks like different things.

I totally agree on the agiles. I ordered and returned a couple of custom 8s with floyds due to issues with them and especially that cepheus nut. one of the nuts i received had a bent string retainer/V that limited string size installation ha. there are definitely some weird specs with the few that are out there. i love my schecter c8... it's actually the most tuning stable guitar i have out of all my floyded guitars, but i would have liked it to be 27" just because. excited for deez 'zillas

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Huh, I didn't realize that about the Agiles. I'll have to check that out on mine. Mine is kind of a weird one, because the neck joint is different than the others, so I wonder if I have the same nut as you guys. Then again, I have some Kahler 8s, and TBH I haven't noticed the string spacing being tighter, so maybe I'm just an idiot. But I want to check the Agile when I get home, and see if the strings are close to the edge of the FB, because I HATE when that's the case. And I haven't noticed it yet.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Huh, I didn't realize that about the Agiles. I'll have to check that out on mine. Mine is kind of a weird one, because the neck joint is different than the others, so I wonder if I have the same nut as you guys. Then again, I have some Kahler 8s, and TBH I haven't noticed the string spacing being tighter, so maybe I'm just an idiot. But I want to check the Agile when I get home, and see if the strings are close to the edge of the FB, because I HATE when that's the case. And I haven't noticed it yet.

Oh no shouldn't have said anything; don't check! Just play and enjoy!

dasuchin

Reaction score
Anyone know what the option is that makes the bevel on the aries just a plain wood finish along with having a painted top? I ordered an aries about 7 weeks ago, came in this week, and the entire thing was painted. I thought that I had mentioned on the phone that I wanted the bevel to be just the antique ash wood finish, but I don't see anything denoting it on the order sheet. Probably my fault, but it'd be nice to know what that option is actually called.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Anyone know what the option is that makes the bevel on the aries just a plain wood finish along with having a painted top? I ordered an aries about 7 weeks ago, came in this week, and the entire thing was painted. I thought that I had mentioned on the phone that I wanted the bevel to be just the antique ash wood finish, but I don't see anything denoting it on the order sheet. Probably my fault, but it'd be nice to know what that option is actually called.

First question: does your guitar have a separate top wood? That will determine the answer of which exact options you'd need.

Also, any photos of what you received would also help. And feel free to post your spec sheet, to make sure they did build what was reflected on the sheet.

dasuchin

Reaction score
First question: does your guitar have a separate top wood? That will determine the answer of which exact options you'd need.

Also, any photos of what you received would also help. And feel free to post your spec sheet, to make sure they did build what was reflected on the sheet.
Yeah it has a separate top wood. This is my first order through them so I can definitely see if I ordered it wrong. I just thought I had mentioned the bevel being the natural finish, but not sure what that option is.

RI9i05V.jpg
pbJwfFS.png
htMJpes.png

')