The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Just chiming it as I recently bought a Carvin dc800 and a PRS swamp ash narrowfield.
Take it with a grain of salt but I have had some tasty ESP's, Jacksons, etc. in my collection.

I find the Carvin I bought to be pretty much on par with a USA Jackson in quality and tone. not overly crazy about the active pickups but they aren't horrible. ( I'm more into passive pups these days)

The PRS has the narrowfield pups, 3 of them and they are really quite versatile in sound , and the guitar really sings insanely. Although I will say the overall tone is not really geared towards metal. But sweet jesus the guitar is a absolute joy to play, it's soo responsive. So in the end I'm not sure how much are really the pups or just other factors in the PRS but there is a good range with the PRS narrowfield pups at a base level. I usually never adjust my volume knob on a guitar but it makes a drastic difference with these narrowfields in adding more tonal variety,

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
I've never purchased a stock guitar or Carvin ever expecting to love the pickups. My mindset is I'll have to replace the stock pickups in whatever guitar I purchase, whether it's an Ibanez, Jackson, PRS, etc. The same goes for Carvin. I personally like the way Carvin's passive pickups sound though. :) Their actives aren't my favorite, and I'd probably end up throwing EMG's in instead if I ever got a guitar that came w/ their stock active p'ups.

lametacomeat

Reaction score
It looks like Carvin is offering a $100 off custom orders right now. I can't find anywhere how long it might last though.

soliloquy

Reaction score
ylv over on the carvinbbs forum made a gigbag for the tiny HH2 guitars. fairly cheap to make, and could be an interesting project:

ylv said:
A ESP bag of mine, which is good quality. It is hacked.
IMG_20130127_145629.jpg

1. cut off the pocket
IMG_20130127_145636.jpg

2. seal the lining after pocket cut off
IMG_20130127_145647.jpg

3. cut the bag in to rough size
IMG_20130127_145642.jpg

4.the bottom foam protector
IMG_20130127_145701.jpg

5. attaching the bottom foam protector
IMG_20130127_155513.jpg

6. sealing the bottom of the bag
IMG_20130127_155901.jpg

7. roughly sealed and shaped for lining
IMG_20130127_161928.jpg

8. stitched lining to the bottom
IMG_20130127_180236.jpg

9. how well does it fit?
IMG_20130127_180521.jpg

IMG_20130127_180534.jpg

10. relocated the handle
IMG_20130127_183241.jpg

source: http://carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=35508

soliloquy

Reaction score
you know, i have owned my carvin since october of 2011. making this the third longest guitar i've owned for a period. first being my Agile AL3100 that i parted ways with as soon as i got a carvin (for obvious reasons. agiles are great guitars through and through...just carvin made me more happy) and the second being my Crafter SA hybrid guitar (only because there really isn't ANY guitar on the market right now, under the 2500 dollar mark that is like this guy...).

i've done about 6 string changes on it (still trying to figure out the best guage for the 25. scale neck), and about 3 or 4 set ups
out of my 7 years of playing, the carvin definitely has seen the most play

and even out of all of that play and wear, it still feels, plays, looks, even smells like the day i got her.

and after EVERY set up i give her, i fall in love with it over and over again. i'm always amazed at how low i can bring the action on it, only for a bit more room for me to bring it lower.
i love how i keep getting more and more accurate every time i pick this guitar up
i love how it sings in my hands
i love how it has killed ALL my gas for other guitars (safe for a bolt on and a set neck 24 fret guitar...my next guitar will be a CT424, and the one after will be a C66-24)

so to those hard working folks over on carvin who do the lumber, sanding, wood work, fret work, gluing, painting, drying, buffing, electric, etc work, and to keivo, THANK YOU!

hLU94.jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
so ive been saving up for a ct424 for the last few months. i need to sell one of my guitars and i'll have the right funds for it as right now i have 50% saved up

however, if i sell that guitar, i have just the right amount for the v3m that showed up used at my city....that would force me to sell my jetcity amp....

should i go guitar first or amp?

the v3m with a cab is at 600 right now...

Demiurge

Reaction score
^Guitars are easier to show-off, so I always lean towards the scenario where there are more guitars. As long as the amp isn't the heart of your rig, of course.

And my DC600 shipped Friday, so my Carvin NGD cherry-pop is slated for next Wednesday. It's embarrassing to say, as someone who has been playing for 17 years, this is the most I've ever spent on a guitar.

soliloquy

Reaction score
placed an order with a few option 50s on em that wont void my return

now i'm going to put my feet up and forget about it for 6 weeks....

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
placed an order with a few option 50s on em that wont void my return

now i'm going to put my feet up and forget about it for 6 weeks....

Same here man! JB neck profile on my CT624, and sent a pic to match a top/quilt. :)

These 6 weeks will be hard for us. :lol: Congrats on your purchase as well.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
/\ and to you!
what specs are you getting on her?

CT624M - TOM bridge
Hog body
Quilt top
DTS Teal
Black gloss sides and back
Flame maple fretboard
5 piece maple/koa neck
Tung oil back of neck finish
14" radius
Stainless steel JUMBO frets
Abalone dot inlays
Jason Becker neck profile
Holdsworth headstock (matching quilt and finish)
Abalone Carvin logo
White pearloid tuner buttons
S22 metal covered pickups w/ creme colored rings
Metal dome knobs w/ abalone
Dunlop straplocks

Also asked them to try and match the quilt depth/3D'ness and pattern/figuring as closely as possible to this Suhr:

8756_24fmbys_1.jpg

Francis978

Reaction score
So this question goes to the owners of Allan Holdsworth's signature fatboy or his headless...I am trying to decide on one, but I play metal in drop C...so would the headless be out of the question? Can I alter tuning easily is mainly what I'm wondering.

PF Chang

Reaction score
JCustom bridges work just fine with drop tunings. The headless would be no problem.

I believe they top out at a .060 gauge for the lowest string though.

Francis978

Reaction score
So I can't go too too low then. Thank you for the information!

It'd be in drop C so I'm set! :D

PF Chang

Reaction score
I use a .060 and tune to B (but I've never been into very heavy strings)...

soliloquy

Reaction score
this is now a standard color
3_120162b_1.jpg

and my postcard came in for may the 1st...prolly get here earlier...:hbang::hbang:

Reaction score
I just put an order for a CT624 with this finish:
USzqUHM.jpg

And with these specs
cG7XoyC.jpg

Id really like to see how your guys' orders came out and wht you think of them, good or bad :hbang:

')