The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
At least that goes to show that Jeff does listen to what people ask in his streams.
"Can I get an Aries in neck-through?" is probably one of the most common questions he gets.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MSS

Reaction score
I was going to pull the trigger on a new Vader 7 during the $100 promo then I figured I would wait for the Memorial day sale. Looks like that was a mistake. Holding out for the 4th...

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
what the heck is the difference between the dc and the neck through Aries

I thought the aries was just a bolt on dc.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Ha, same. I'll jam along with it, but yeah...

When people like this are entering the contests, I stand zero chance. :lol: This isn't even the winner (despite his optimistic upload title).

Great player, but the video looks out of sync with the playing in some parts, like he overdubbed.

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I always thought the same. The other difference is the included beveled body on the aries. The DC has beveled options but it's different.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

I mean...the Aries was pretty similar, but it didn't start out that way. When the Aries came out, it was 25.5", and the DC600 was 25", and it's horn didn't reach out as far.

The Aries also had that defining feature of that wide bevel...and then they added the "bevel delete" option when they discontinued the C66.

Then, they re-designed the DC series to push the horn out, and flatened the bottom, as well as gave the 6-string the 25.5" scale length. This made the outline much more similar to the Aries. The standard DC and the Bevel Delete Aries, you could basically say that it was just a neck-construction difference between the two, and you wouldn't be far off.

The Aries neck-through still has that wide bevel instead of the more familiar bent-over forearm contour. The DC's optionsl bevels are not meant for comfort. It's basically an aesthetic feature along the top edge, and then a PRS-like fret-access scoop on the treble side of the neck. And while the shape is still *slightly* different, kiesel isn't offering the bevel-delete option on it because it's just too close to the standard DC, so there's no crossover there.

Here's an Aries (with its standard bevel) and the DC (with its optional bevels)
VdzLno5.gif

I haven't done an experiment yet to see if it really is a "neck-through Aries" or if they gave the DC the "Aries Bevel."

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I was going to pull the trigger on a new Vader 7 during the $100 promo then I figured I would wait for the Memorial day sale. Looks like that was a mistake. Holding out for the 4th...

Well, depending on what your Vader was going to be spec'd there's potential to save more than $100:
Free Antique Ash Treatment (must order ASH), free chambered Body (must order top wood), free inlay shapes upgrade - you pay only for the material, free Thorium or Illusionist bridge pickup upgrade.

And then also free soft case for the new neck-throuhgh Aries.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
What we know: it's available in a 6-string, has a headstock, and at least has a non-multiscale version, and the first build to showcase it has a reversed pointy inline headstock.

The apacing of the frets doesn't *look* like it's an extended scale...

97344135_2651358935147392_1276808083913310208_o.jpg

That is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen

Avedas

Reaction score
Wow I was just speccing out a potential Aries build yesterday. Neckthrough sounds great.

Are there any live pictures of the new dark roast plain maple neck/fretboard? I'm pretty interested in that but I couldn't find any real pictures.

MSS

Reaction score
Well, depending on what your Vader was going to be spec'd there's potential to save more than $100:
Free Antique Ash Treatment (must order ASH), free chambered Body (must order top wood), free inlay shapes upgrade - you pay only for the material, free Thorium or Illusionist bridge pickup upgrade.

And then also free soft case for the new neck-throuhgh Aries.

Unfortunately, none of which I am interested in. Will hold out for the 4th.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Wow I was just speccing out a potential Aries build yesterday. Neckthrough sounds great.

Are there any live pictures of the new dark roast plain maple neck/fretboard? I'm pretty interested in that but I couldn't find any real pictures.

I don't think so, but I'll note that they don't offer roasted maple necks on neck-throughs with headstocks. Their ovens are only large enough to fit headless neck-through blanks. Even kiesel's longest 8-string neck-through blanks are still 6-8" shorter than the shortest 6-string neck-through blanks with headstocks. Fretboards: yes. Necks: no.

mbardu

Reaction score
Just reposting this guy since it's pretty bonkers and might go unnoticed because of recent activity + imgur hosting that hides pictures

nmo86K5.jpg

spudmunkey

Reaction score
IT'S IN TRANSIT!!!!

OK, so...because I didn't *quite* know how the finish would turn out, I just got it with the standard black pickups. Once I get it, there's a chance I might swap 'em out for chrome/brushed pickups (even if it's the same pickup model), or possssibly zebra bobbins. I'm one of those weirdos who like the zebra pickups. Ha! I'll need to do a few photoshops once I get it and can get a straight-on photo to work with.

mbardu

Reaction score
IT'S IN TRANSIT!!!!

OK, so...because I didn't *quite* know how the finish would turn out, I just got it with the standard black pickups. Once I get it, there's a chance I might swap 'em out for chrome/brushed pickups (even if it's the same pickup model), or possssibly zebra bobbins. I'm one of those weirdos who like the zebra pickups. Ha! I'll need to do a few photoshops once I get it and can get a straight-on photo to work with.

Do they even offer zebra still? I love them but they're no longer in the builder.
In your case I'd go with chrome anyday though. That's what would match the guitar the best IMHO.

mbardu

Reaction score
Stoked to see that the fretboard appears (at least from those first pictures) just as nice as the other one!

mbardu

Reaction score
Have a V8X being built right now. Pretty excited to get my first headless 8 string, im on week 8 right now . It's a pretty simple build, i didnt want to go too crazy with the options on my first one .

That's the way to go about it :)
Order something simple, see what those guitars are about on your own...and worst case scenario send it back if it's not your thing.
You might get hooked though :lol:

')