The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
That thing is juicy. Burl tops are already quite expensive on their own though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's buckeye, it's $600, aaaaand maybe more because colors work best on tops with more cream colors, so there might be an upcharge for hand-selecting a specific top coloration.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Looks like a cool upgrade to the Floyd. Hadn't seen those before.

Even when people own multiple Carvins/Kiesel's, it seems like the models that people are most likely to say its their favorite, is the Bolt+, SCB, Vader, JB24, and this one.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I hope they show more of the double necks. These things are just nuts.

From what I can tell, this one would be just about at $4k with case. blue/Purple Color shift burst over their black magic metallic paint.

upload_2020-6-8_18-27-31.png

upload_2020-6-8_18-28-20.png

Ths thing is just unreal, too.
file.php

file.php

AxRookie

Aspiring Expert
Reaction score
Looks like a cool upgrade to the Floyd. Hadn't seen those before.

Even when people own multiple Carvins/Kiesel's, it seems like the models that people are most likely to say its their favorite, is the Bolt+, SCB, Vader, JB24, and this one.
I've made some changes or "upgrades" because there were a few things I wanted it to have because I've had them on other guitars and I know they worked great, These are the changes I've made...

Electronics Upgrades

N-Tune On Board Chromatic Tuner
Bourns Pro Push/Pull Audio Taper 500k Neck/500k Bridge Volume Pots, DPDT
Gavitt Braided Shielded Guitar Wire
Orange Drop .022µF 200V Polypropylene 715P Tone Capacitors
HDCustom Guitar Supply Premium Treble Bypass Filter/Treble Bleeds
Switchcraft 151 1/4" Mono 2 Conductor Thick Panel Mount Jack

Switch Mods

N-Tune On Board Chromatic Tuner-Push/Pull Switch on Neck Volume Pot
The Blower Switch-Push/Pull Bridge Pickup Bypass Switch on Bridge Volume Pot
The Kill Switch-Signal Cut Off Mini Toggle Switch

Standard Switches Retained

Pickups-Coil Split Mini Toggle Switches
3-Way Pickup Selector Switch

Floyd Rose Tremolo Upgrades

Hollow Point Intonation System
Graph Tech String Saver Saddles
Tungsten Sustain Block
SuperVee Maglok Trem Stabilizer

And I made a wiring custom schematic to make sure it would all work together...

And it all worked just as planned...

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I've never understood how fretless necks work?

Like a violin, cello, upright bass, etc. You have to have great muscle memory, and/or are very adept at vibrato for when you hit a note that's slightly "off". It doesn't sound as "crisp" as a metal fret. Kiesel also offers an option where they can inlay meterial into fret slots to act as fret markers, but they are perfectly smooth, so they aren't actually frets.

Here's a couple pics of the inlay lines:
Kiesal-Vader-03.jpg

fullsizeoutput_d30.jpeg

Reactions: fps

AxRookie

Aspiring Expert
Reaction score
Like a violin, cello, upright bass, etc. You have to have great muscle memory, and/or are very adept at vibrato for when you hit a note that's slightly "off". It doesn't sound as "crisp" as a metal fret. Kiesel also offers an option where they can inlay meterial into fret slots to act as fret markers, but they are perfectly smooth, so they aren't actually frets.
I would think the notes would sound rather dead/muted/lifeless sounding without breakaway for that end of the string to vibrate somewhat "freely"???

I guess the advantage offered by fretless would be notes that can't be found on a fretted guitar without string bending?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I would think the notes would sound rather dead/muted/lifeless sounding without breakaway for that end of the string to vibrate somewhat "freely"???

I wouldn't quite say that. less crisp, yes...but not lifeless. Imagine maybe...using a wood slide. There's a bit of the "mwah" sound that fretless bass players get. Vigier is one of the more frequent makers of fretless guitars, and they offer metal (don't know if it's solid or wrapped) fretboards. I think it gives a guitar a bit of a sitar sound.

One of the big things you can do it make any note or any chord you can finger sound like you're playing them with a slide.

I guess the advantage offered by fretless would be notes that can't be found on a fretted guitar without string bending?

That's one use, but seemingly not as common as a main reason.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
If you wanna hear fretless thats not shred, Issei Noro from Casiopea has been playing fretless since the 80s? Only on certain songs, but its so great.

I play music

Reaction score
A budget fretless guitar would be cool just to try it out and see if it is cool before spending a lot on a fretless.

')