The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
Oh man, I was actually planning to do a one piece walnut neck with a chambered body on an Aries 7...

Is this destiny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
And if I'm not mistaken the price increase looks about 50$ across the board on most models.

mbardu

Reaction score
That's pretty reasonable, I was expecting more tbh.

That's still more than nothing, but even added to the last ~100$ or so increase, it's still way below the price inflation on a lot of imports from other brands in the last ~2 years.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I think there's a Q&A video today. I wonder if there's some new standard feature/process that they've added that can mentally off-set some of that. ha! Wishful thinking, perhaps...but that is what happened when they added stainless frets, luminlay side dots, and the upgrade to quartersawn for the 1-piece maple necks. They were all along for the ride with $50 increases. ALthough, as time goes on, a $50 becomes a slightly smaller and smaller percentage of the overall cost anyway, so there's less room to burry additional cost into that same $50. :lol:

mbardu

Reaction score
Considering an Aries was only $950 just three years ago, it's quite a bit.

I didn't claim there had been no increase, but in proportion, it's still less than those increases you can see on things like Ibanez (Prestiges went from 1k$ to 2k$ real fast) or Schecter (Signatures > 1.5k$), or Jackson (USA models are now 4k$ guitars...) etc etc.

I used to be the first to complain about their price increases, and to prove my point a couple of months back, I tried to re-price a DC400 I ordered literally 10 years ago from Carvin based on today's options. Well, adjusted for inflation, the price (~1800 in today's dollars) had actually barely changed at all (while the standard options and quality has improved slightly). So at the end of the day I ended up disproving my own point :lol:

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Comparing to historical data is a bit of a crap shoot. For every example like April 2015 (their last catalog)where a DC600 was $899 with the hipshot bridge and with inflation, that'd be $975 as of May 2020 but it's $1299 today, there are also examples like yours. Claro walnut tops were $400 in 2015, and still are today. Stainless frets were $40, now it's free. The standard pickups are more expensive than they used to be., etc etc etc.

Avedas

Reaction score
I'm curious what raw tone satin is like on a plain maple top. I like the plain wood feel from tung oil but I also want to do a solid color (seafoam green), and I would want a cleaner look without the grain patterns from swamp ash, ideally as little figuring as possible. It was really hard to find pictures of this online.

11515_brg_1.jpg

03C62E8D-0031-4EFD-A197-6AF087DB5A91_zpsacy7bjgx.jpg

I think these have maple tops? But obviously there's basically no figuring at all except where the swamp ash bodies come through, so maybe it's just better to go with a satin finish. I don't know if there would be much of a difference to the touch.

I'm thinking a neckthrough Aries 7 multiscale, RNC swamp ash body, 3 piece body to get the black outline between the seafoam top and natural body. Chambered and tung oil 1 piece walnut neck, maybe roasted flame maple fretboard. 3+4 headstock matching body.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
The raw tone finish is a less durable, ever-so-slightly "waxier" feeling finish. I would think of it like the satin finish on Taylor's higher-end acoustic necks vs the satin they use on like the 300, 200 or 1oo series. At least, that's how it was a few yers ago, I'm not sure if Taylor's changed that up.

I prefer the standard satin, if you're not going for the wood grain texture. Though, the raw tone is a thinner finish, so it has that going for it, if that's what you're shopping for in terms of "tone", hense, "raw tone".

Avedas

Reaction score
Yeah my Delos is a straight up satin finish. It's fine and all but it does sort of feel like a big hunk of plastic in a way. The solid satin matte finish on my Dingwall feels nicer to me - a bit more coarse which maybe gives the illusion of the finish being thinner.

Tough decision.

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
BD753CD9-C423-4E6B-8C72-287B378B1DC1.jpeg
Kiesel experts, any idea what the name of this colour this is? Inb4 red

mbardu

Reaction score
I've had crimson red be just as bright and almost that pink under very bright blueish lights.

Edit: actually I was thinking Ruby red, not crimson red- my bad.
Here's a pic I still have- though the light was quite yellow so it looks less "pink" than it actually was.

12381_c66_3_1.jpg

Last edited:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
')