The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sometimes you're in a spot where you need the money more than a guitar. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
:lol:

Do folks really hate that one that much? It's pretty tame compared to the usual meme worthy Kiesel.

I have to say, their recent Facebook feed has been pretty tolerable actually. Very few over-the-top-Kiesely builds all things considered.
This one...yeah the finish itself is polarizing. Don't like but at it least could understand someone getting it. The fretboard though really makes it too much IMHO.

mastapimp

Reaction score
:lol:

Do folks really hate that one that much? It's pretty tame compared to the usual meme worthy Kiesel.

Yup. This will show up in the "too funny not to post" guitar thread along with the watermelon burst and single neck pickup kiesels. The fact that it's headless and has a pale blue fretboard treatment adds to the unintentionally hilarious value of it.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Am I the only one whose first thought was “Kiesel sent him that unprompted to try to get free advertising/praise if he he begins playing it”?

To me that’s the most likely scenario. And for whatever reason maybe he wants nothing to do with the Kiesel/doesn’t want to feel obligated to anyone? Idk, just spitballing here.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Same for pretty much any hobby. Do not buy someone something in their hobby or field of expertise...you're very likely to get something that doesn't actually please them.

My fiancé was going to surprise me with a custom guitar for my 30th and we both are so glad she didn’t. She came here looking for what a “dream spec” is and couldn’t believe(compared to her knowledge of custom violins, cellos etc) how indecisive we were and how we can’t agree on the simplest parts of an instrument’s construction or look :lol:

If your partner, family, friend etc want to surprise you with a custom guitar have the luthier or company rep message you saying they want to build some in-stocks and what would be your dream specs. That way you can only really blame yourself if you didn’t get something you wanted.

xzacx

Reaction score
I wouldn't order it, but I actually like that crackle finish. The dyed board, on the other hand, is the much bigger offender to me.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I agree with that. PRS absolutely have the capacity to make it nice, it just comes across as a bit much. I’m a plain maple fan though, so I’m pretty bland in my taste anyways

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
is the piezo system available for all the headless models? I'm quite sure is for the Vader and Zeus, but I haven't seen it on a type-X model.

mbardu

Reaction score
is the piezo system available for all the headless models? I'm quite sure is for the Vader and Zeus, but I haven't seen it on a type-X model.

It is not available for all models no, and it's a bit fluid from what I can tell. Best I could say (besides calling them) is that the larger the guitar, the more likely you can get it. I doubt it would fit in a Leia or type X, whereas it is available on a Vader or Zeus.

Edit: to extend on that => if you look at the back of the guitars, it may not fit in the control cavities that has a small oblong rectangle cover whereas it does not on the larger more triangular one.

Last edited:

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I dislike nearly all died boards. Keisel, PRS, whoever. They just seem so ostentatious

I wouldn’t even use that word. To me ostentatious = it’s gaudy and unnecessary BUT I STILL WANT IT OMG.

I just think dyed boards are ugly. Idk, maybe there’s some that might look ok? But I’ve never seen them.

Like maybe an ebony died to even out the black or something? I think that’s common.

mbardu

Reaction score
I wouldn’t even use that word. To me ostentatious = it’s gaudy and unnecessary BUT I STILL WANT IT OMG.

I just think dyed boards are ugly. Idk, maybe there’s some that might look ok? But I’ve never seen them.

Like maybe an ebony died to even out the black or something? I think that’s common.

I like the double black stain, especially if it matches with a trans black burst on the body of the guitar. That's different from dyed ebony, which they don't do and is not my cup of tea.

Had a colorful treated blue one on an aquaburst guitar to give it a try....and wouldn't do it again. It can look good on its own, but it's difficult to either match the body's finish, or the guitar just ends up too tacky.
Maybe on simple builds with a matte black or white finish and a colorful board?

Mathemagician

Reaction score
See yeah I can’t see any of those looking good to me. (To me being key). The not-matching the body OR even complimenting it is a big one. But just “let the aesthetics breathe”.

Not every builder is Daemoness in terms of art/color, and that’s ok. (All that other on-goings aside).

Avedas

Reaction score
I've seen a few Kiesel treated boards that looked decent from a glance, but I don't think I'd ever do it myself. Would be very hard to get the colors to coordinate properly. Maybe trans white or black over flame maple is as close as it could get for me.

Also Jeff mentioned in a Q&A that the dyed finish isn't super durable. If the dye starts to wear away that's going to look hyper ugly in a hurry.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
the one I had looked pretty nice.
just rootbeer brown. all over. so brown.

matchy matchy

Latest posts

')