The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

12enoB

It's Boner Backwards
Reaction score
You lucky you. I had never thought of a guitar in that color scheme; white and brown is a very, very classy combination of colors. The black/red one with natural binding on their website is very striking. They definitely went with the right choice of colors to emphasize the beveled top. I don't feel that the SCB6 works well with the more traditional color combinations that Carvin has always worked with, but it provides a lot of new great possibilities looks-wise. It's a good next step for Carvin design-wise, I feel. If, on top of that, it plays as good as you say it does... well, fuck.

I looked at the price of ordering one, and it seems to be about the same as if I buy that one. So I'm thinking about ordering a similar spec'd one with surf green on the back and white on the front. But I'm not sure what top wood I want to use to be shown as the natural binding. Not really worth it to buy a super expensive top when only a fraction of it can be seen.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? Haha, that's cool :hbang:
Thanks pal :)

Haha not a problem, you actually did kind of help me on selecting the specs. Sent you a few PM's on YouTube like 4 years ago asking for info and recommendations on the off-chance that some day I'd get a Carvin (ended up ordering like 2 weeks later :lol:), though I wouldn't think you'd remember. :lol: Since I like whoring my guitar, here's a couple of pics I took of it this last summer (cellphone pics though; still no high-quality photos of it, sadly):

20130603_151757.jpg

20130603_151832.jpg

I looked at the price of ordering one, and it seems to be about the same as if I buy that one. So I'm thinking about ordering a similar spec'd one with surf green on the back and white on the front. But I'm not sure what top wood I want to use to be shown as the natural binding. Not really worth it to buy a super expensive top when only a fraction of it can be seen.

Make it a maple top, and make it matte, so it'll look like toothpaste. :lol: But no, seafoam green back (which I'm assuming is the same as surf green, no?) with white front and a koa top would look good, I think, although I'm not sure how much I'd like different colors for the front and back, to be honest. If I were to order for myself, I'd probably keep both back and front the same color. I've been pleasantly surprised before though ;)

cataclysm_child

SS.org UnRegular
Reaction score
Haha not a problem, you actually did kind of help me on selecting the specs. Sent you a few PM's on YouTube like 4 years ago asking for info and recommendations on the off-chance that some day I'd get a Carvin (ended up ordering like 2 weeks later :lol:), though I wouldn't think you'd remember. :lol: Since I like whoring my guitar, here's a couple of pics I took of it this last summer (cellphone pics though; still no high-quality photos of it, sadly):

20130603_151757.jpg

20130603_151832.jpg

Very nice! Got to love that tung oil finish! :)
That's a flamed koa top, right? And koa neck with maple stripes?
Almost got the same one myself, except a sandwiched koa/maple body instead of swamp ash wings.

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
You are correct, aaannd that first picture of your koa DC727 has been my phone's wallpaper for the past 6 months or so... I swear I am not a creeper. :ugh::ugh: So awkward. :lol: It's just that your taste in guitars is impeccable, and you do happen to own some of my all-time favorite Carvins. :lol:

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Both your video and guitar are awesome, Michael! I've never seen a burst like that... That gives me an idea on how to do mine whenever I can get around to ordering it!

Hey, NickCormier, what did you use to mock up the color scheme on your upcoming ST300?

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
There is a photoshop file on the carvin bbs named DC600.. Try to search for it, should come up. If you are familiar with layers in photoshop, use that and can pretty much make anything you want. But I also got help specifically for mine from the creator, Kuhboom.

PF Chang

Reaction score
I really like the SC90 body shape. The typical LP shape and its clones offered by most companies don't have the right proportions.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
In a shocking move, I've decided to sell off both my Carvin basses as well. I just don't play bass that much any more. Besides, I can always buy more pedals with the earnings. You can never have too many pedals. :)

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
Drat, I don't have photoshop. Oh well, that's what my imagination is for, haha.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I really like the SC90 body shape. The typical LP shape and its clones offered by most companies don't have the right proportions.

I actually just got a SC90 off craigslist. It is a pretty nice guitar and it is the first single cut that I own. It is very light unlike a LP.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I know many of you have missed ol' GuitarAnthony/Jack Secret's crazy Carvin NGD's so after leaving 2013 barren of orders, it's time...oh yes, it's time!

DC600

SS - String Saver Saddles for Fixed Bridge
NLMB - Black Limba Korina Neck & Body
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
RIN - Reverse Inline Headstock
BPH - Black Painted Headstock
EFB - Ebony Fingerboard
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
A6B - A60B Bridge PU w/ Active Electronics (black only, must order A60N)
A6N - A60N Neck PU w/ Active Electronics (black only, must order A60B)
G - Gold Hardware
009 - Elixir 942E Super Light Gauge .009 - .042
GL - Gold Plated Carvin Logo
ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover Black
Truss Rod Engraving:
Line 1: GUITAR
Line 2: ANTHONY
HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

I'm sure as with all Carvin's, it will bleed magnificence. I've sold off 1 guitar and 1 bass and still have another guitar and bass looking for homes. I will be at 14 guitars (12 Carvins, a Caparison TAT Special and an "Ibafake" 540PII that I made myself).

Stay tuned! (We're guitar players, we always stay tuned :metal: )

12enoB

It's Boner Backwards
Reaction score
I know many of you have missed ol' GuitarAnthony/Jack Secret's crazy Carvin NGD's so after leaving 2013 barren of orders, it's time...oh yes, it's time!

DC600

SS - String Saver Saddles for Fixed Bridge
NLMB - Black Limba Korina Neck & Body
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
RIN - Reverse Inline Headstock
BPH - Black Painted Headstock
EFB - Ebony Fingerboard
NIN - No Top Inlays - Side Dots Only
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
A6B - A60B Bridge PU w/ Active Electronics (black only, must order A60N)
A6N - A60N Neck PU w/ Active Electronics (black only, must order A60B)
G - Gold Hardware
009 - Elixir 942E Super Light Gauge .009 - .042
GL - Gold Plated Carvin Logo
ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover Black
Truss Rod Engraving:
Line 1: GUITAR
Line 2: ANTHONY
HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

I'm sure as with all Carvin's, it will bleed magnificence. I've sold off 1 guitar and 1 bass and still have another guitar and bass looking for homes. I will be at 14 guitars (12 Carvins, a Caparison TAT Special and an "Ibafake" 540PII that I made myself).

Stay tuned! (We're guitar players, we always stay tuned :metal: )

I'm psyched to see what the dc 600 looks like with the black limba. Grats on the new build.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I'm psyched to see what the dc 600 looks like with the black limba. Grats on the new build.

Thanks. I didn't have any orders done since Sept 2012 but I thought it was time. Basically, Carvin brought something to the custom shop that baited me into ordering. :lol:

mcrdsd911

Reaction score
sorry for the not so great cell pics, but here's my recent build with carvin.... I love it :agreed:

Attachments

• photo 4 (2).JPG
    photo 4 (2).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 138
  • photo 1 (4).JPG
    photo 1 (4).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 133

Samark

Inactive. It’s been a pleasure.
Reaction score
Awesome mate! Birdseye fretboard?

')