The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I've only sold one set of pickups here. I'm guessing it's a pretty good place to sell w/o too much BS. I have a lot of experience selling software (and some hardware) over at KVR, but not guitars here. I have one I might put up for sale.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Here's a pic Carvin posted today of a glossy flamed koa burst.....

10285626_762317467125952_5487865302298657759_o.jpg
Is that sunset burst? :yum: Dang I also can't decide between that model or the DC600. I like the rounded edges of that one but the direct mounted humbuckers of the DC600. Also still can't decide between flame or no flame koa, but I've got plenty of time as I save up the money.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
How about that's a f*cking beautiful DC600? :agreed::yum:

Jack Secret

Reaction score
How about that's a f*cking beautiful DC600? :agreed::yum:

Much appreciated.

I should make mention to the perusers who have yet to order a Carvin, though the online order builder is quite nice, calling up and letting them know exactly what you want when you order is best. I was worried the purple might mute the flame too much so I called up and voiced my concerns. I called up and spoke to Bart (who sadly no longer works at Carvin) and he said not to worry and he'll make a note on the order. He did, they made it perfect and rest is history.

They have many fine salespeople at carvin and I've not had a problem with any of them. When I ranted like a fool on the Carvin forums concerning the uncharacteristically plain black limba and wrong headstock DC600 that had arrived, Mike Jones from Carvin called me...I repeat...called me within minutes of my post before I could call them and says let's rebuild it so you're happy. Now, I could have done that anyway within 10 business days but because they did the wrong headstock, I didn't have to pay the shipping and rebuilds that are necessary through their fault gets automatic rush mode (build in 4-5 weeks which usually cost an extra $100).

Hell, that I almost wanted to keep the DC600 because she played and sounded so beautiful says something about Carvin's workmanship. I've been made aware that the rebuild will likely blow my mind. I await the boom.

Here's a booty shot for you ass men out there. This DC600 was swamp ash w/ flame maple top. GREAT sounding combo. I was pleasantly surprised because you never hear anyone doing a swamp ash/maple top combo.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a booty shot for you ass men out there. This DC600 was swamp ash w/ flame maple top. GREAT sounding combo. I was pleasantly surprised because you never hear anyone doing a swamp ash/maple top combo.

Well I don't know that I'd say that....

(mine)

Suhr_Modern_M6_Ash_Faded_Denim_18_zpsa8f55c43.jpg

Suhr_Modern_M6_Ash_Faded_Denim_28_zpsa58ae0c5.jpg

(hope rifftrauma doesn't mind me using his pics too! ;))

d4Dq20k.jpg

rbhiMIL.jpg

It's a well-known tasty tone combo, actually! :D Right up there with basswood + maple top, it's just not as common among the "standards" I guess, but definitely used by builders big and small and noted as sounding great! :yesway: I definitely agree with the point about the sound though, my Suhr with that combo sounds fantastic for just about anything, so I'd imagine that Carvin probably sounds quite badass as well! :metal:

Garnoch

Reaction score
Is that sunset burst? :yum: Dang I also can't decide between that model or the DC600. I like the rounded edges of that one but the direct mounted humbuckers of the DC600. Also still can't decide between flame or no flame koa, but I've got plenty of time as I save up the money.

If I remember, it was sunset in gloss with flame of course, as opposed to my satin sunset with no flame. There is a good chance when you call to to order that you can get that model with direct mounts, I had gotten the okay to do it on another model before choosing the 600 instead and a few weeks ago I ordered a Kiesel Edition with direct mounts for a different model.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
My Carvin HH1 GAS isn't going away, so to dampen it down I just put a price inquiry in to the Finnish dealer for a basic White/white HH1 with stainless steel frets. So nothing fancy, just standard specs besides the SS frets + maple neck with walnut stripes). I'm curious to see what they quote on that.

If someone from the states could use the builder and give me a reference for what they go for in the states, I'd be grateful. Won't have any effect on the local pricing, but gives some reference to what the difference is. Specs:
- HH1 / no trem
- Alder/Maple
- Maple neck with walnut stripes
- White/White color
- Stainless steel frets (jumbo)
- otherwise standard specs
- tolex hardcase

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Ran into a snag, no alder body that I can see choices:

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)$0.00$0.00

ASH - Maple Neck/Swamp Ash BodySwamp ash delivers slightly less midrange with full low-end and nice singing highs. It is light in color with rich grain patterns .and looks great with translucent finishes. Because of it's tonal characteristics, this wood is especially suitable for bass guitars.$80.00$40.00

ASH1 - 1-Piece Swamp Ash Body/Maple NeckSwamp ash delivers slightly less midrange with full low-end and nice singing highs. It is light in color with rich grain patterns .and looks great with translucent finishes. Because of it's tonal characteristics, this wood is especially suitable for bass guitars. This is a 1-piece body with no center seam.$120.00$60.00

KOA - Maple Neck/Koa BodyHawaiian Koa has warmth and sustain similar to Mahogany and also possesses the clear open tone of Alder. Koa looks wonderful whether you choose a tung oiled, satin or gloss finish.$400.00$200.00

LMB - Maple Neck/Black Limba BodyBlack limba, also known as korina, is tonally similar to mahogany, but a little brighter with more clarity and more midrange emphasis. Suitable for solidbody and acoustic-electric instruments.$200.00$100.00

LMW - Maple Neck/White Limba BodyWhite limba, also known as korina, is tonally similar to mahogany, but a little brighter with more clarity and more midrange emphasis and lighter in color. Suitable for solidbody and acoustic-electric instruments.$200.00$100.00

MAH - Maple Neck/Mahogany BodyMahogany has an inherent warm quality with accentuated low-midrange, and is considered to be a classic tone wood. It is denser and heavier than Alder, but lighter than Maple. Mahogany is reddish brown in color, and provides great sustain and warmth.$100.00$50.00

NKOA - Koa Neck & BodyHawaiian Koa has warmth and sustain similar to Mahogany and also possesses the clear open tone of Alder. Koa looks wonderful whether you choose a tung oiled, satin or gloss finish.$800.00$400.00

NLMB - Black Limba Neck & BodyBlack limba, also known as korina, is tonally similar to mahogany, but a little brighter with more clarity and more midrange emphasis. Suitable for solidbody and acoustic-electric instruments.$400.00$200.00

NLMW - White Limba Neck & BodyWhite limba, also known as korina, is tonally similar to mahogany, but a little brighter with more clarity and more midrange emphasis and lighter in color. Suitable for solidbody and acoustic-electric instruments.$400.00$200.00

NMAH - Mahogany Neck & BodyMahogany has an inherent warm quality with accentuated low-midrange, and is considered to be a classic tone wood. It is denser and heavier than Alder, but lighter than Maple. Mahogany is reddish brown in color, and provides great sustain and warmth.$200.00$100.00

NWAL - Walnut Neck & BodyEastern Black Walnut is a dense medium hard wood that is slightly heavier than Mahogany. Its tonal quality is warm with a growling low end and a bright top end. Walnut has medium dark beautiful grain patterns and looks great with gloss or satin finishes.$200.00$100.00

TC - Maple Neck & BodyEastern hard rock maple is known for its proven strength and stability. As a body wood, hard rock maple is heavy and dense, and delivers a bright sustaining tone. Maple has a wonderful light grain that looks great with translucent finishes.$100.00$50.00

WAL - Maple Neck & Walnut BodyEastern Black Walnut is a dense medium hard wood that is slightly heavier than Mahogany. Its tonal quality is warm with a growling low end and a bright top end. Walnut has medium dark beautiful grain patterns and looks great with gloss or satin finishes.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Ran into a snag, no alder body that I can see choices:

-MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)$0.00$0.00

It was this, just the standard combo. Should have been more specific, sorry about that. :)

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Yeah, maple neck/alder body is the default option. Have a DC600 in that because I wanted a solid color (hate covering up the grain on woods) and it sounds fantastic. Well, all my Carvins do honestly. Have never gotten a dud. Gotten ones I didn't have a feel & sent back for rebuilds but still sounded great.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
My Carvin HH1 GAS isn't going away, so to dampen it down I just put a price inquiry in to the Finnish dealer for a basic White/white HH1 with stainless steel frets. So nothing fancy, just standard specs besides the SS frets + maple neck with walnut stripes). I'm curious to see what they quote on that.

If someone from the states could use the builder and give me a reference for what they go for in the states, I'd be grateful. Won't have any effect on the local pricing, but gives some reference to what the difference is. Specs:
- HH1 / no trem
- Alder/Maple
- Maple neck with walnut stripes
- White/White color
- Stainless steel frets (jumbo)
- otherwise standard specs
- tolex hardcase

Ok, how bad I mess up? :lol:

specs_zps7f2b255c.png

Overtone

Reaction score
I guess the only question is if he wants the satin finish on the neck or something else, unless that's standard w/ the 5 piece neck.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I just filled in the "standard." tung oiled I think is an optional 60 bucks.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate that.

The difference in price (even after calculating customs, taxes etc. into it) was about what I was expecting, but I won't go more into that because this pricing issue is a horse that's been beaten too much already.

I'll just say that at this point I'll have to do some more saving or go through the "used" rout. :)

But keep them pictures about H/HH coming, people. Maybe it's just that my GAS need more fuel? :D

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
You know - I almost pulled the trigger on a Carvin CS624... but there's one thing about Carvin that always gets me... they have all these nice things and then there's just a touch here or there that's just "off". Consider, the headstock for the CS624 - not horrible... but just... not quite right. And then I did this horrible photo-chop... BAM! Instant gas! Why wouldn't they consider this design?

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
^^^^ Totally agree, except that I actually prefer that reversed (in carvin speak) instead of standard like above, most of the time anyways, especially when the body shape is upper-dominant like on LP-ish guitars.

Great headstock IMO, even though it's super-basic.

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Totally get what you are saying about the "reversed" headstock. This was just the quickest blue pointy one I could find. However, I kind of think maybe the reversed headstock makes the guitar look a little unbalanced. I mean - it's a much crappier looking render, but you get the... point...

Latest posts

')