The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stuglue

Reaction score
Carvin question, I recently acquired my first DC700 and have to say i love the neck, very flat radius and really easy to play. Not quite the same feel as my Ibanez in terms of the neck shape but still a great player.
The downside, I bought a set of dimarzio replacement pickups not realising that the pickup cavity for the carvin isn't a standard size. The carvin pickups measure 33mm wide whereas the Dimarzio's are 36mm. Do any of the pickup manufacturers make pickups that fit the Carvin cavity?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
New Carvins have an industry standard pickup routes (Starting from 2013 or so, IIRC), so if your Carvin is new one, DiMarzios will fit, but if it's used/build before the routes were changed, then you'll have to do some routing on guitar or file down pickup base plates to fit them in. I think there's no aftermarket pickups that will fit without doing that on older Carvins.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Update for UK (and I guess EU) buyers
I asked about ordering the JB24 Numbers guitar....

soundunlimited.co.uk said:
Sent: 06 February 2015
To: Richard Wilson
Subject: Re: Carvin Jason Becker Numbers Guitar Availability

Thank you very much for your recent enquiries in to Carvin Guitars. You may be aware, Carvin has announced that it has split in to two companies with Carvin Audio and Amplifiers being separate from the Carvin Guitar side. Jeff and Mark Kiesel are now operating Carvin and Kiesel Guitars.

As part of this change they will be supplying direct from the USA under the new company which is effective immediately. This will change how you buy as you will now pay in USD and also have to pay Duty, Shipping and VAT on your purchase. We have been thrilled with the quality of Carvin Guitars and know, with absolute certainty, you will be 100% happy with your purchase.

If you could direct any of your enquiries to sales@kieselguitars.com and they will help you through the next stages.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I was bored and speced out a new Carvin/Kiesel custom.

GAS attack :wallbash:

carvin.jpg

ferret

Reaction score
Does that mean it'll eventually cost more for us in the EU to get a Carvin/Kiesel?

It should, in theory, ultimately cost you less. VAT, import fees and duties, etc, was all being paid for you by the dealer, who happily passed the cost on to you I'm sure. Plus whatever cut they got from being the middle man.

In theory.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Buying directly from them as opposed to through a dealer will be cheaper, if you consider that's what makes Carvin/Kiesel so cheap to begin with.

To sum it up, dealers have to order/pay Carvin, they pay the import fees and taxes, and then still have to make a profit on top of that. Buying direct eliminates the need for a dealer to make profit so all you pay is the price of the guitar + shipping/taxes. It ends up being quite a bit cheaper if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
I hope it gets a bit cheaper, I had a quote of £1300 for a DC600 which wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to pay much more haha

ferret

Reaction score
I hope it gets a bit cheaper, I had a quote of £1300 for a DC600 which wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't want to pay much more haha

If you post the specs, assuming nothing opt 50, we can run it through the US builder and see what the US price would be for comparison.

Reaction score
I think this was about it:

SS - String Saver Saddles for FT6 Bridge

NWAL - Walnut Neck & Body

-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) MIGHT be considering Satin body but..

FDK - Deep Black Flame

5LM - 5-Piece Black Limba Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes

CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)

-H33 - 6-String Pointed Headstock 3+3 (Standard)

FPH - Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Color

FT - Bookmatched 4A Flamed Maple Top

EFB - Black Ebony Fingerboard (No Streaking)

-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard)

STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W

-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)

-C22B - C22B Bridge Pickup (Standard)

-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard)

-400 - Black Coils w/ Black Bezels (Standard)

G - Gold Hardware

-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard)

WL - White Logo

IVN - Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut

SL - Dunlop Straplocks

HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case

With a Hipshot bridge + Kiesel pickups (neither of which show up in the options for me)

cheers

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Did that for you or close.

NWAL - Walnut Neck & Body $100.00 -
CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard) $0.00
FDK - Deep Black Flame $250.00
5LM - 5-Piece Black Limba Neck w/ 2 Maple Stripes $200.00
CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood) $70.00
-H33 - 6-String Pointed Headstock 3+3 (Standard) $0.00
FPH - Flamed Maple Headstock Matches Body Finish $50.00
EFB - Ebony Fingerboard Black (No Streaking) $30.00
-DI - Dot Inlays (Standard) $0.00
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W $40.00
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
-C22B - C22B Bridge Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-C22J - C22J Neck Pickup (Standard) $0.00
-400 - Black Pickups (Standard) $0.00 G
- Gold Hardware $50.00
-46 - Elixir 1046E Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard) $0.00
WL - White Logo $0.00
SL - Dunlop Straplocks $10.00
IVN - Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut $5.00
HC10 - Black Tolex Hardshell Guitar Case $90.00
Custom Shop Total: $1,744.00
Options Discount: $-100.00
Total: $1644.00

Reaction score
That comes to £1078.50, not bad at all! I guess Kiesel pickups will up the price when they're available? Don't they do Hipshot bridges on them? I saw someone state on carvinbbs that they do

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
That comes to £1078.50, not bad at all! I guess Kiesel pickups will up the price when they're available? Don't they do Hipshot bridges on them? I saw someone state on carvinbbs that they do
Yes hipshot is an additional $50

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an X64 bass, and I really like the walnut top they have as one of the examples on the website, but that top doesn't seem to be in the builder. Anyone have a rough idea what that option normally costs? I did email to ask, just waiting on an answer. The text under the photo says it's the "WT" option, and I prefer the look of that one than "figured claro" (FW).

')