The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Guess what, kids? Selling off more guitars and getting a total of three Carvins in January!
You know what that means........JACK'S CARVIN WINTER! (A three part series - soon in guitar forums near you)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Why are we bumping this? Cause it frickin' became a six part series?

Hello...My name's Jack. I'm a guitaraholic. I need a 12 stomp box program.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
well Jack,

Cause I want to hear more about this Carvin Winter. :D

I left hints in my sig. :) (well, hints gone now. Don't need them if I'm showing it all)

well fine...here are the six incoming Carvin guitars - due anywhere from early Feb to early March (unless Carvin is running behind)

1. DC400 in purple quilt triple step stain on mahogany body w/ maple top, mahogany neck w/ 2 maple stripes, neck thru, black hardware, S22 pickups, tune-o-matic bridge, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, pointy reverse headstock, ivory tusq nut, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

2. V220 in deep orangeburst quilt on mahogany body w/ maple top and mahogany neck, neck thru, S22 pickups, gold hardware, Floyd w/ nut, pointy reverse headstock, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board, no frickin' inlays

3. [FONT=&quot]CT424 in candy red metallic, mahogany body w/ maple top. set in mahogany neck, Holdsworth 2/4 headstock, C22 pickups, black hardware, Ivory tusq nut, [/FONT]satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

4. CS624 in red quilt triple step stain, mahogany body /w maple top, set in mahogany neck, c22 pickups, Floyd w/ nut, 2 volume/tone w/ push/pull pots, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

5. HH2 headless model hardtail in seafoam green, chambered alder body, set in maple neck, H22 pickups, JCustom bridge, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

6. B24S 4 string bass in ferrari red, alder body, 5 piece maple neck, neck thru, humbuckers, Hipshot D-tuner, Ivory tusq nut, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

So yeah, these days I'm big on satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

Plus, I totally love the CT model carve tops right now. If they announce a CT 24 fret hollowbody at NAMM 2012, I'm all over that. (Carvin seems to not wait for NAMM for announcements so who knows if it's coming)

Hey guys, it's my 25th year of playing guitar. I'm fucking all out celebrating for this. Just awaiting the blizzard.

No worries either. Lots of pics and maybe even some unboxing videos.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
Here is one of my keepers... Kiesel Private collection of wood. Handbuilt by Mark. Quilted Crotch maple. It looks like you could dive in and take a swim. Sorry for my laziness, I just snapped a few quickies. :D

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
I left hints in my sig. :) (well, hints gone now. Don't need them if I'm showing it all)

well fine...here are the six incoming Carvin guitars - due anywhere from early Feb to early March (unless Carvin is running behind)

1. DC400 in purple quilt triple step stain on mahogany body w/ maple top, mahogany neck w/ 2 maple stripes, neck thru, black hardware, S22 pickups, tune-o-matic bridge, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, pointy reverse headstock, ivory tusq nut, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

2. V220 in deep orangeburst quilt on mahogany body w/ maple top and mahogany neck, neck thru, S22 pickups, gold hardware, Floyd w/ nut, pointy reverse headstock, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board, no frickin' inlays

3. [FONT=&quot]CT424 in candy red metallic, mahogany body w/ maple top. set in mahogany neck, Holdsworth 2/4 headstock, C22 pickups, black hardware, Ivory tusq nut, [/FONT]satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

4. CS624 in red quilt triple step stain, mahogany body /w maple top, set in mahogany neck, c22 pickups, Floyd w/ nut, 2 volume/tone w/ push/pull pots, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

5. HH2 headless model hardtail in seafoam green, chambered alder body, set in maple neck, H22 pickups, JCustom bridge, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

6. B24S 4 string bass in ferrari red, alder body, 5 piece maple neck, neck thru, humbuckers, Hipshot D-tuner, Ivory tusq nut, black hardware, satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

So yeah, these days I'm big on satin back of neck finish, med jumbo steel frets, ebony board and no frickin' inlays.

Plus, I totally love the CT model carve tops right now. If they announce a CT 24 fret hollowbody at NAMM 2012, I'm all over that. (Carvin seems to not wait for NAMM for announcements so who knows if it's coming)

Hey guys, it's my 25th year of playing guitar. I'm fucking all out celebrating for this. Just awaiting the blizzard.

jack, i know you dont know him, as you're much much newer to remember him, but you are now the new Rob_l!
heres some of his collection before he decided to sell most of his stuff. i think at his peak he had over 220 guitars, most of those were carvins, then warriors, then jackson, and then ALL other brands below it :
2519_rob_l_db0738e0e51f_1.jpg

2519_redwood5_1.jpg

26748_876392016700_48914742_50308233_1202224_n.jpg

26748_876392021690_48914742_50308234_4282929_n.jpg

24857_883022713730_48914742_50552424_601821_n.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

images

images

images

images

unfortunetly...he seemed to have deleted most of his pictures online, so unless someone has em saved up, its really hard to come across the thousands of pictures he took..

and yes, when he was active, it was very common to see him have multiple 'ngds' in one day :lol:

oh, and if i remember correctly, because he ordered from carvin so often, carvin actually made him an NS (classical nylon string guitar) complementary on carvin as a thank you gesture. he was the first to own numerous different models/woods that carvin offered as well

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Well, I did sell most of my Ibanez mid last year and a few more before the holidays. My guitar max is not going above 25. I was near 50 but with that many, a lot are not gonna see any love. 25 will be good.

Besides, you think my guitar collection is bad, I got tons of stomp boxes and effects processors going back those 25 years. I found an old Yamaha effects processor that still has all my old edited settings. I liked a gnarly distortion in those days let me tell you. It was like wrapping lit firecrackers in aluminum foil.

I should also mention sol here inspired me to get purple quilt on the DC400. That CS6 came out gorgeous.

soliloquy

Reaction score

jack, i know you dont know him, as you're much much newer to remember him, but you are now the new Rob_l!
heres some of his collection before he decided to sell most of his stuff. i think at his peak he had over 220 guitars, most of those were carvins, then warriors, then jackson, and then ALL other brands below it :

2519_redwood5_1.jpg

unfortunetly...he seemed to have deleted most of his pictures online, so unless someone has em saved up, its really hard to come across the thousands of pictures he took..

and yes, when he was active, it was very common to see him have multiple 'ngds' in one day :lol:

found the link where he got a free guitar:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/st...carvin-ns1-mesa-recording-preamp-gmajor2.html

engage757

Banned
Reaction score

2519_redwood5_1.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

oh, and if i remember correctly, because he ordered from carvin so often, carvin actually made him an NS (classical nylon string guitar) complementary on carvin as a thank you gesture. he was the first to own numerous different models/woods that carvin offered as well

Yeah, I bought a TON of ROb's guitars. He and I actually met through a friend of our at SamAsh who had sold us each at least 100 guitars. We started hanging out and trading guitars, then when he would get tired of something, I would just buy it from him. Our tastes are VERY similar. That blue denim above is my main baby. And I owned all of those Warrior's as well. And as for Rob?

He doesn't play much anymore, just kind of noodles around. he is an excellent guitarist that would put 99.9% of the metal guitarists around to shame. He is really into guns now. :D He is actually the guy that showed me this site to begin with!!!

But anyway, Rob is one of my closest friends, and yes, a lot of my guitars were purchased from him. He even has several of mine in there. ;)

Oh yeah, and at last count? his collection was around 350 when he stopped. ;) And we are talking everything from Hetfield tour guitars to carvins to ESPs to Jackson to PRS Dragons. He has sold quite a few of those to me for my collection.

He got me into Carvin! I was a PRS/Jackson junky until I met him. He showed me Caparison and carvin and I never looked back... Except, well, a few times. :D :hbang:

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
oh yeah, and the teal one is my pic. ;) THe chair ones are his. ;) The Ikea in front of the C24. :D

That I WANNNNNNTTTT!!!!!!!! Rob's studio is so sick! I thought he might open a commercial one, but I think he decided not to.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought a TON of ROb's guitars. He and I actually met through a friend of our at SamAsh who had sold us each at least 100 guitars. We started hanging out and trading guitars, then when he would get tired of something, I would just buy it from him. Our tastes are VERY similar. That blue denim above is my main baby. And I owned all of those Warrior's as well. And as for Rob?

He doesn't play much anymore, just kind of noodles around. he is an excellent guitarist that would put 99.9% of the metal guitarists around to shame. He is really into guns now. :D He is actually the guy that showed me this site to begin with!!!

But anyway, Rob is one of my closest friends, and yes, a lot of my guitars were purchased from him. He even has several of mine in there. ;)

Oh yeah, and at last count? his collection was around 350 when he stopped. ;) And we are talking everything from Hetfield tour guitars to carvins to ESPs to Jackson to PRS Dragons. He has sold quite a few of those to me for my collection.

He got me into Carvin! I was a PRS/Jackson junky until I met him. He showed me Caparison and carvin and I never looked back... Except, well, a few times. :D :hbang:

you my friend have some 'splaining to do.....with pictures! and lots of them!

by any chance, did you get a hold of his spalted top CT? would love to see pics of those and the denim again.

as far as i remember, he never got too many CS carvins. i remember his one white CS4. if i'm not mistaken, he was the first to get an option 50 to cover the back with white as well.

and what ever happend to his NS1?
and whatever happened to all his pictures? does he have em backed up somewhere?

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
you my friend have some 'splaining to do.....with pictures! and lots of them!

by any chance, did you get a hold of his spalted top CT? would love to see pics of those and the denim again.

as far as i remember, he never got too many CS carvins. i remember his one white CS4. if i'm not mistaken, he was the first to get an option 50 to cover the back with white as well.

and what ever happend to his NS1?
and whatever happened to all his pictures? does he have em backed up somewhere?

Haha my collection is big, and very nice, but Rob has the GAS collection ftw. The sheer magnitude of wht he still has is ridiculous. I have been over there before and opened a case and found guitrs he didn't even know he had! Rob is the best guitarist I know and his collection is better than anyone's alive I dare say.

He was the first white back I believe. And yes, the NS-1 is still around, I have played it. very smooth. and it came with a card signed by the boys from carvin! Don't know why he deleted all his pictures. Don't think he cares much anymore. The denim is mine but the Spalt top I am not sure I have seen. I sold a spalt top 12 string that I bought from him awhile ago. Is that the one you mean?

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I love that denim. It's a shame it's not a regular color option. I miss Rob's NGDs... :(

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Engage, do you approve of what I'm getting for my prospective guitar winter forthcoming?

I mean, it's coming that way whether anyone approves or not. LOL

soliloquy

Reaction score
jack, i'm honored that my guitar inspired your DC400 :)

Haha my collection is big, and very nice, but Rob has the GAS collection ftw. The sheer magnitude of wht he still has is ridiculous. I have been over there before and opened a case and found guitrs he didn't even know he had! Rob is the best guitarist I know and his collection is better than anyone's alive I dare say.

He was the first white back I believe. And yes, the NS-1 is still around, I have played it. very smooth. and it came with a card signed by the boys from carvin! Don't know why he deleted all his pictures. Don't think he cares much anymore. The denim is mine but the Spalt top I am not sure I have seen. I sold a spalt top 12 string that I bought from him awhile ago. Is that the one you mean?

and no, the spalted top CT6 i'm talking about was, also, i believe the first spalted CT carvin made. it was a 6 stringer. when he took pics of it, unlike all the others he took, this guitar was modeled around in his kitchen. its top was unlike any other spalted top i saw. it was more like an ancient map rather than spalted maple. truley beautiful!

engage757

Banned
Reaction score

I would be down for a hollowbody as well! I really wish more of mine were satin finished. When I sell off a few more and order a few new ones they will all be satin backed necks. Your batch is gonna be SICK! Love the Orangeburst! Did you choose top woods?

Jack Secret

Reaction score
I would be down for a hollowbody as well! I really wish more of mine were satin finished. When I sell off a few more and order a few new ones they will all be satin backed necks. Your batch is gonna be SICK! Love the Orangeburst! Did you choose top woods?

Everything has a maple top except the B24S bass. Mahogany w/ maple top is my favorite. Another secret most people who don't deal in Carvin know is that both the C22 and the S22 pickups are fantastic. I'm playing my CS6 right now and I get that Gary Moore tone with my pedalboard settings (Still tryin' for that one long ass sustained Parissienne Walkways note...I get a good long sustain but I think Gary sold his soul to Satan for the privilege of that note). I love the S22's so much now. I put C22's in the forthcoming carve tops just for a different dynamic but Carvin can make one (or two) hell of a in house pickup.

Satin on the back of the neck has become another favorite. The gloss on the back of my CT624 doesn't bother me really but the satin feel on my Icon 4 bass (of all things) is just magic.

')