The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you look at all the Instagram pictures of namm, you will only see kiesel branding, and only see kiesel Guitars.

No carvin name to be seen... And no carvin models either.
At least yet.

Might be nothing, but my post was silenced/censored on the other forum so maybe not nothing :lol:

Pretty sure Jeff's adamant about phasing out the Carvin name in favor for the family Kiesel name.

Something I did find interesting is in a video I watched when he was showing off the new guitars, he called the Kiesel booth "his booth." Probably nothing as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
The Jason Becker 7 string model (brand new 2016 model) is branded with Carvin.. so there's that. I get what you mean though, none of the signage says Carvin anywhere. I think we all know eventually Jeff wants to phase out the Carvin name.. but I know my next 2 or 3 guitars will be Carvin branded, with maybe the exception being if any kinda fanned fret Vader's come out and I have no choice.

Has there been anywhere at all any indication that the 7 string JB woul dbe a model available to order?

Every indication so far pointed to a one-off for Jason Becker, no?

ferret

Reaction score
I still find it odd, with their Kiesel-Everything marketing, that kieselguitars.com redirects to carvinguitars.com, rather than the other way around.

laxu

Reaction score
I still find it odd, with their Kiesel-Everything marketing, that kieselguitars.com redirects to carvinguitars.com, rather than the other way around.

Most likely has more to do with how their website is rather dated.

Reaction score
Alright guys. I just placed my order for a V7 and am SOOOO excited! I only have one question - should I have opted for the thinner neck profile option? I played the V& with the standard neck at NAMM and it was great. I also tried my bandmate's DC727 and it's also just fine - maybe slightly thicker than I'd prefer.

What's the general consensus here?

mr coffee

Reaction score
I've got the thinner DC800, I like it but have never tried the standard profile.

-m

spudmunkey

Reaction score

Well, they are moving to a new building, Mike Jones confirmed they are working on a builder and in that post he mentioned that it was a ground-up redesign, or something to that effect, which to me sounded like an all new website. If that's the case, I think a great time to update those re-directs would be with an "all new" website.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Aesthetic opinions from Carvin fans - which is better in your opinion:

Honeyburst satin with black hardware, normal / stainless frets
Jet Black gloss with gold hardware, Evo gold frets

No inlays.

;)

ferret

Reaction score
I'd do jet black, but satin (Except I'm afraid of satin)

TheUnvanquished

Reaction score
I prefer the satin honeyburst w/ black hardware. When this bass was available in the 'guitars in stock' section of the kiesel website I saved this photo because I loved the look and was considering it for a future build. Just my opinion!

Edit: This bass has gold hardware!!! Oh well, I still think honeyburst with black would be better...

Attachments

• honeyburst over swamp ash.jpg
    honeyburst over swamp ash.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 58

Valco

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I did go back some pages for a answer, but has anyone ordered from Carvin and had their guitar delivered to the UK? If so, what were the custom costs like?

I found a website that stated I could be looking at £250 on top if I were to spend about £1200, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is.

I'd love a Vader, but I'm somewhat torn between that and a strandberg. I'd prefer a Vader just because I can have it customised. On the flip side, I can order a strandberg from a guitar shop within the UK, so no nasty custom costs.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Aesthetic opinions from Carvin fans - which is better in your opinion:

Honeyburst satin with black hardware, normal / stainless frets
Jet Black gloss with gold hardware, Evo gold frets

No inlays.

;)

Some decisions are just too hard to make. I was faced with a similar situation recently...

Koa top + zebrawood/ no inlay + stainless frets + black hardware

or

Koa top + ebony/ no inlay + gold frets + gold hardware

Took me almost a week to decide. No idea without seeing the one's you're looking at but good luck.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I did go back some pages for a answer, but has anyone ordered from Carvin and had their guitar delivered to the UK? If so, what were the custom costs like?

I found a website that stated I could be looking at £250 on top if I were to spend about £1200, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is.

I'd love a Vader, but I'm somewhat torn between that and a strandberg. I'd prefer a Vader just because I can have it customised. On the flip side, I can order a strandberg from a guitar shop within the UK, so no nasty custom costs.

Last I checked, you'll have to pay 20% VAT and 3.7% import duty (rate for instruments) on the total price (which includes whatever the cost of shipping/insurance is).

I was considering it about two years ago, but I ended up getting a Mayones instead since it ended up fitting my requirements just as well, came with name-brand pickups and was like £100 cheaper to boot. Plus no needing to deal with someone across the ocean if I ran into a problem with the guitar.

a5tr0_z0mb13

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I got a V6 delivered to the UK in January. Customs costs were £219. I'm having so many problems with it now, I wish I hadn't have bothered.

Valco

Reaction score
I got a V6 delivered to the UK in January. Customs costs were £219. I'm having so many problems with it now, I wish I hadn't have bothered.

Doesn't sound good. What happened?

I'm probably going to go for the strandberg to be honest.

')