The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
Supposedly they've been known to have things snap off entirely, such as the headstock - Even being delivered with them missing.

a5tr0_z0mb13

Reaction score
How have they been when trying to get it sorted?

Not great to be honest, which is disappointing, as I'd only heard good things about them previously.

If it weren't for those issues, it would be the best guitar I've ever played though, so hopefully they'll come through...

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
The unwound strings pop out of the saddles when you bend the string and the finish is flaking off the neck

Would you mind taking pictures? I'm trying to imagine how the strings pop out of the saddles and I just can't visualize it.

a5tr0_z0mb13

Reaction score
IMG_20160303_220303.jpg

IMG_20160303_220209.jpg

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
That guitar appears to be wonky.

Either it's the angle of the picture or that bridge was fitted crooked - just based by looking the bridge saddles. Looks like there's a too much pull to the right? And finish not cured enough before shipping and the moisture / temperature change caused some air under it --> Peel?

If those really are the issues I hope they will fix this somehow.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ya, Carvin (Kiesel?) are really good about CS, from what I've seen. If you haven't made an account on carvinbbs maybe set one up, as those guys are good at directing you to the people that can make things happen.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
That's a whole boatload of yuck. It's a shame because that bridge looks like it's not centered right. The neck finish is ....ed too. It's a shame if they can't do anything for you.

laxu

Reaction score
I don't think you can say anything about the bridge mounting from that picture.

What I would do is see what Kiesel offers. As it's a huge, expensive pain in the ass to ship the guitar back to the US I hope they can give you some sort of discount for the finish issue. Your issues are totally fixable.

You can fix the finish problem possibly with spot dropping lacquer or superglue on the chipped part to build a finish then sand it flush. The chipped area might still have a visible outline but should feel ok.

The saddle issue is also solved simply using the same method techs use on new saddles. Simply set the string where it needs to be and use a rubber-faced mallet (or figure out a way to hit the string and saddle at the right point without using something that will mar the finish) to hit the string so it causes a notch in the saddle. This ruins the string but gives you an accurate groove for the new string to stay in and it should no longer move around.

Neither should happen on a new guitar but I'm sure Kiesel will make it right.

a5tr0_z0mb13

Reaction score
I don't think you can say anything about the bridge mounting from that picture.

What I would do is see what Kiesel offers. As it's a huge, expensive pain in the ass to ship the guitar back to the US I hope they can give you some sort of discount for the finish issue. Your issues are totally fixable.

You can fix the finish problem possibly with spot dropping lacquer or superglue on the chipped part to build a finish then sand it flush. The chipped area might still have a visible outline but should feel ok.

The saddle issue is also solved simply using the same method techs use on new saddles. Simply set the string where it needs to be and use a rubber-faced mallet (or figure out a way to hit the string and saddle at the right point without using something that will mar the finish) to hit the string so it causes a notch in the saddle. This ruins the string but gives you an accurate groove for the new string to stay in and it should no longer move around.

Neither should happen on a new guitar but I'm sure Kiesel will make it right.

Kiesel are aware of the issues - I'm going to give it a few days and see what they say. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out...

dhgrind

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat right now, string bends snapped the E string while testing out the side to side saddle movement and pinging.

This looks like a real trend going on with these guitars.

electriceye

Reaction score
Those saddles simply don't look right.You can see how the string would move and eventually snap on those edges. They need to be notched.

ferret

Reaction score
Regarding bridge saddles pinging on Vaders, this just got posted to Facebook:

Ok guys.. We've heard there have been some guys that have had some issues with a pinging sound from one of more saddles. Jeff has contacted Hipshot with this issue and this is how it is going to get resolved!
****Kiesel Vader Headless Bridge Design Update****
Design update for headless saddles that are installed on all 2015 Kiesel Vaders and 2016 Vaders shipped before 3/7/16.
This offer is a no charge update and is valid from 3/7/16 to 5/7/16, after 5/7/16 you can purchase these parts directly from Hipshot Products for installation.
This design update only effects the first three saddles (E, B, G) and only effects players that bend notes hard past the 20th fret, an occasional small ping noise can be heard.
Hipshot Products has offered to swap the first three saddles at no charge, upon receiving the new saddles, please return your old saddles to Hipshot as part of the update.
To contact Hipshot and arrange for the saddles to be sent out please address your email to info@hipshotproducts.com
Soon a YouTube video will be posted on the Kiesel channel showing you how to swap these saddles and set the intonation https://www.youtube.com/user/carvinguitars
If you would prefer Kiesel Guitars do the Update you can arrange to send in your Vader.
To contact Kiesel Guitars to arrange an RMA before sending in your Vader please address your email to Service@KieselGuitars.com
Kiesel Guitars
Custom Guitars & Basses, Made in the USA | KieselGuitars.com
858-GUITARS

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
Never liked this sort of a bridge, it's just too many loose parts, springs etc. that can wiggle and move. This one looked really "cheap" to me from the start :( On the Ibanez Gibraltar bridges of similiar construction the saddles actually could shift up and down with your picking... For headless I think a seperate saddle/bridge construction is a must, where the saddle is fixed in place firmly. And yeah, the saddle cuts are too shallow and rounded.

electriceye

Reaction score
Keisel isn't handling this correctly. Why should the customers have to handle the replacement process? THEY should do that as a basic courtesy. And then some. C'mon....

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Keisel isn't handling this correctly. Why should the customers have to handle the replacement process? THEY should do that as a basic courtesy. And then some. C'mon....

If you would prefer Kiesel Guitars do the Update you can arrange to send in your Vader.
To contact Kiesel Guitars to arrange an RMA before sending in your Vader please address your email to Service@KieselGuitars.com
Kiesel Guitars
Custom Guitars & Basses, Made in the USA | KieselGuitars.com
858-GUITARS

:scratch:

')