The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Think you might have that japanese word wrong.

Then it's attributed to Japan incorrectly all over the "craft" world. :lol: It could very well be!

it's supposed to be something along the lines of "gold repair" where you highlight flaws and repairs by filling in cracks with gold or silver, etc.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
I tried to input it in Japanese and it didnt come up right away. I cant read romanized Japanese, gotta give me kanji or I have no clue wtf you're talking about :/

Edika

Reaction score
Jesus christ, after dealing with a complete retard on a facebook page and seeing this, I think i've lost about 30 iq points just today. I might be on the verge of mental retardation if my iq drops any lower.

Oh man you're opening yourself up for a lot of teasing :D.

Anyway, yeah I can't believe he's considering that knot as a positive aspect on a build. This is Devries level justification of a glaring defect. I hope he at least stabilizes it with some eboxy or something.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Oh man you're opening yourself up for a lot of teasing :D.

Anyway, yeah I can't believe he's considering that knot as a positive aspect on a build. This is Devries level justification of a glaring defect. I hope he at least stabilizes it with some eboxy or something.

I think it would better be suited for firewood

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
"Look at that body...DANG!"
Yeah, it looks like shit.
G.R. Petty, I hope you see that video... :(
Well at least he did say it was getting painted over. I'm sorry but what crazy person buys such a top to have it painted over? I highly doubt a top like that will effect tone like the customer stated. Paying $500 to get it covered by a cream paint :facepalm:

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I *suspect* that only the back is getting painted cream with the clear top. I've seen that at least once before on a...I think it was one of their JB basses. That one was, if I remember right, vintage cream with black limba and it actually looked pretty nice. i can't seem to find a pic, though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Shame the customer has asked for that hideous knot to be painted over. :lol:

Seriously, though, that is a horrendous-looking piece of wood. I would be livid if I received that bad of a knot in a guitar above a $100 price point. :noplease:

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Jeff said in the video that the burl was getting painted over because the customer only wanted it for the tone.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I *suspect* that only the back is getting painted cream with the clear top. I've seen that at least once before on a...I think it was one of their JB basses. That one was, if I remember right, vintage cream with black limba and it actually looked pretty nice. i can't seem to find a pic, though.
I suspect that piece of wood was a reject that they figured was ok as long as nobody actually saw it, hence using it for a painted build. Rather shady.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see the issue with using that body with a knot if it's getting painted over. I actually thought the back looked really cool :shrug:

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with painting over the knot. Lots of builders use less figured wood when they paint them. It doesn't make any sense to use a really figured piece and then cover it with opaque paint (which kiesel has definitely done before).
I can't stand poplar burl tops anymore. It's like getting the wood equivalent of wet cardboard glued on top of your guitar, not to mention a lot of them look like garbage. I think poplar burl and birdseye maple are way too expensive for the kind of figuring that I usually see from those woods. Maple, Mappa, redwood and Walnut burls on the other hand, have a lot more variety and look pretty awesome imo.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with painting over the knot. Lots of builders use less figured wood when they paint them. It doesn't make any sense to use a really figured piece and then cover it with opaque paint (which kiesel has definitely done before).
I can't stand poplar burl tops anymore. It's like getting the wood equivalent of wet cardboard glued on top of your guitar, not to mention a lot of them look like garbage. I think poplar burl and birdseye maple are way too expensive for the kind of figuring that I usually see from those woods. Maple, Mappa, redwood and Walnut burls on the other hand, have a lot more variety and look pretty awesome imo.
It's funny because when I first saw burl, it ended up being my favorite wood. I would drool over the tops. Now that I'm a bit older, I've actually come to dislike them. They are just too much for me. If they have a dark color over it like a deep red it can create a pretty cool effect, but the top alone I really don't like. I much prefer maples tops like you said or even just a nice simple metallic paint job. I did a flamed maple top for my current Kiesel build.

')