The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

imnotnollynollynolly

Reaction score
I'm definitely feeling like ordering a DC600 is my next move. The tough part will be trying to pick a unique finish. The pink and purple burst I've seen around here was fantastic, and kind of makes me want to do something like this with a quilt top:

house5-4-06012.jpg

Maybe a lighter pink like:

DSC00650.jpg

gui7ars

Reaction score
Love my ST300C. I've owned or own a lot of nice guitars (Ibanez, Ibanez Prestige, Suhr, Fender, Fender CS, Gibson, G&L, Schecter Custom Shop, Charvel, Heritage, EBMM, ESP USA CS) and this guitar is up there with them all. This was under $2K - a top and finish like this would set you back at least 50% more with most other manufactures. Just orders my second ST300C recently - plain top and solid color for right at $1400.

aIMG1.jpg

aIMG3.jpg

gui7ars

Reaction score
Need to add how versatile this thing is - coil taps and Graphtech piezo bridge makes this thing awesome to gig with...

mbardu

Reaction score
Love my ST300C. I've owned or own a lot of nice guitars (Ibanez, Ibanez Prestige, Suhr, Fender, Fender CS, Gibson, G&L, Schecter Custom Shop, Charvel, Heritage, EBMM, ESP USA CS) and this guitar is up there with them all. This was under $2K - a top and finish like this would set you back at least 50% more with most other manufactures. Just orders my second ST300C recently - plain top and solid color for right at $1400.

aIMG1.jpg

aIMG3.jpg

Hey there!

That ST looks awesome!

It's rare to see a Carvin with the licensed Piezo Floyd!

How well does it stay in tune vs an original FR?
Does it hold well over time?

Thanks!

mbardu

Reaction score
I'm definitely feeling like ordering a DC600 is my next move. The tough part will be trying to pick a unique finish. The pink and purple burst I've seen around here was fantastic, and kind of makes me want to do something like this with a quilt top:

house5-4-06012.jpg

I'm the first owner of that color (I worked with Carvin based on an image I sen them).

There have been a few people asking Carvin for the same finish on quilt afterwards...

12381_1491326_692734890750877_383772869_o_1.jpg

12381_1560764_714859998538366_265203837_n_1.jpg

I personally think it looks better on flame...

But maybe that's just me:

12381_Dreamscape_5_1.jpg

PS: DC600s are awesome...go for it! :hbang:

imnotnollynollynolly

Reaction score
Right on. I like flame tops but already have a Music Man with a very nice flame. I like them about equally so figured I'd give quilt a shot, at least as of right now. I might be interested in a solid colour as well and save a few bucks haha, that's where I think a light pink would be cool.

Also, is the first one you posted with the pink to purple a DC600? Hard to tell from that angle for me.

mbardu

Reaction score
Right on. I like flame tops but already have a Music Man with a very nice flame. I like them about equally so figured I'd give quilt a shot, at least as of right now. I might be interested in a solid colour as well and save a few bucks haha, that's where I think a light pink would be cool.

Also, is the first one you posted with the pink to purple a DC600? Hard to tell from that angle for me.

Yeah, that looks like a DC600 to me too...

If you're looking for something just a tiny bit cheaper (they did just increase the price of quilt), Carvin has just released 'translucent pearl pink) as a standard color for non figured woods:

pb4-tpp-ph-stf-ivn-bmf-abd-wp-sl-bll2-bc-pjac-120891-gallery.jpg

There are very few out in the wild though, so difficult to know what it looks like.

If it turns out to be a nice pink, I'm thinking it would do very well as the paint for a classic DC600 with no top and 5 piece neck.

Something like my green machine...but in Pink :agreed:

gAmGw6U.jpg

soliloquy

Reaction score
humm....now i'm debating finishes and tonewoods on an SH575....

spec 1:
hog body
flamed maple top
brown burst (caramel burst. the brown outer edges of honey burst, minus the yellow part)
natural binding
black trim
ebony board no inlay
ebony or rosewood headstock
chrome hardware
matte finish
rosewood nobs
ivory graphtech nut

OR

spec 2:
hog body
plain walnut top (cant stand crazy and unpredictable figures on walnut! but if it looks like darker zebra wood :agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:)
brown burst (same as top) or soft sunset burst
natural binding
matte finish
ebony board no inlay
ebony or rosewood (or maybe walnut headstock...same price for all....)
black trim
gold hardware
rosewood knobs
graphtech ivory nut

:scratch::scratch::scratch:

gui7ars

Reaction score
The Graphtech Floyd is very solid - stays in tune as equally well as my Gotoh-equipped Suhr Classic and other Floyd-equipped guitars I have. Plus the added piezo versatility is awesome to have...

Convictional

Starfish, Octopus
Reaction score
I noticed that Carvin offers a hipshot option on the DC700/DC7x and DC800 series but not on any of their 6 string models.

Has anyone talked to their customer service reps/heard anything on the carvin bbs about this?

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I've been really considering ordering a Carvin soon, but I'd like to see some good pics of a Carvin topped with Koa & cherry bursted edges, google search isn't doing it for me. The specs I'm thinking of ordering are:

Body:Swamp Ash
Top:Koa or Flamed Koa
Finish:Satin w/ cherry burst edged top
Neck:5 piece walnut with maple stripes
Fretboard:Birds eye maple
Inlays:none
Frets:24 medium jumbo
Radius:14"
Headstock:Holdsworth 2x4
Headstock finish: Matches body
Bridge:Standard Hardtail
Bridge Pickup:M22SD
Neck Pickup:M22V
Hardware:Black

all this awesomeness for only $1,568

I'd love to order soon, but I'd love to see Koa or Flamed Koa with a cherry burst edge.

Mike

Reaction score
Anyone have a nightburst finish planned? I think it's a pretty unique offering.

v69k-qdn-117619.jpg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
...I'd love to see Koa or Flamed Koa with a cherry burst edge.

Man, that exact same guitar was owned by user thrsher a while back. I found the NGD thread, but the pictures are gone :(

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/120114-ngd-carvin-dc727.html

Shoot him a message to see if he can send you pics.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't like koa with any kind of stain on it. Perhaps a very thin blackburst, but that's it. I like to show off the natural grain and color, and koa usually has a lot going on. The cherry burst on the flamed koa wasn't for me.

Garnoch

Reaction score
')