The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Yeah, at least black/white.
View attachment 80880

Fuckin' A, man...

97892843_2586705031597941_5905973348740446656_n.jpg

file.php
Looks great. I think it begs for silver pickups and pickup rings.

Or.. you could just replace the knobs with black ones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchback Of Notre Dame

Make the bees go away
Reaction score
what the heck is the difference between the dc and the neck through Aries

I thought the aries was just a bolt on dc.

Aside from the carve, some of the options are different. 22-fret is an Aries option, not a DC option. 20" radius is an Aries option, not a DC option.

Avedas

Reaction score
I don't think so, but I'll note that they don't offer roasted maple necks on neck-throughs with headstocks. Their ovens are only large enough to fit headless neck-through blanks. Even kiesel's longest 8-string neck-through blanks are still 6-8" shorter than the shortest 6-string neck-through blanks with headstocks. Fretboards: yes. Necks: no.
That's disappointing, but I guess there's probably a reason every guitar I own is a bolt on. I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with a bolt on Aries.

Now to just wait until dark roast pics start popping up.

mbardu

Reaction score
Aside from the carve, some of the options are different. 22-fret is an Aries option, not a DC option. 20" radius is an Aries option, not a DC option.

My take on that is that 22 frets is not an option because the guitar is more of a DC than an Aries, and they don't have '22 frets' programmed for DCs.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
My take on that is that 22 frets is not an option because the guitar is more of a DC than an Aries, and they don't have '22 frets' programmed for DCs.

22 frets on the Neck Through Aries is only "not an option" because he didn't think it would be a priority, but all it would take is for someone to actually order it:

upload_2020-5-21_17-8-46.png

upload_2020-5-21_17-9-15.png

xzacx

Reaction score
But didn’t they “up and design” the neck-thru Aries without someone ordering it?

That said, I can’t blame them for not being anxious to put that out—I doubt they’re going to get a ton of orders for a 22 fret version. There’s probably not a lot of crossover among people that are so concerned about the placement of the neck pickup that they just have to have 22 frets and those that want it on a 25.5” super Strat.

Hatchback Of Notre Dame

Make the bees go away
Reaction score
But didn’t they “up and design” the neck-thru Aries without someone ordering it?

That said, I can’t blame them for not being anxious to put that out—I doubt they’re going to get a ton of orders for a 22 fret version. There’s probably not a lot of crossover among people that are so concerned about the placement of the neck pickup that they just have to have 22 frets and those that want it on a 25.5” super Strat.

Granted, 22-fret, fixed bridge, neck through instruments with stainless steel frets and multi-ply necks practically don't exist.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

The "neck through Aries" and "Aries bevel in a DC" questions are some of the most common requests they get, 3rd only to "multiscale trem?" and, "Hey, have you ever thought of having a virtual builder on your website?" I don't see it any differently as not designing a left-handed unless someone orders one, like what they did with the JB24 "Numbers" guitar.

laxu

Reaction score
I question the need for a neckthru Aries in the first place. The bolt-on heel on it is one of the better ones I've tried and really does not get in the way at all. I feel like they are adding new models just because rather than thinking if it truly adds anything to their lineup.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I question the need for a neckthru Aries in the first place. The bolt-on heel on it is one of the better ones I've tried and really does not get in the way at all. I feel like they are adding new models just because rather than thinking if it truly adds anything to their lineup.

I don't see them needing to stock any special parts, so it seems like a smart move. Offering a popular option on an already high seller is never really a bad thing.

Overall seems like a no-brainer.

Avedas

Reaction score
It's probably available but there's no bevel delete option in the neckthrough Aries builder.

I actually found a beveled Aries in a shop today, which was really surprising. The bevel is super comfortable but I think I can live without it for the sake of actually getting all of the top I'd like to pay for.

mbardu

Reaction score
It's probably available but there's no bevel delete option in the neckthrough Aries builder.

I actually found a beveled Aries in a shop today, which was really surprising. The bevel is super comfortable but I think I can live without it for the sake of actually getting all of the top I'd like to pay for.

A bevel delete "aries neckthrough" is just a dc600 because the aries neckthrough is just a dc600 with the bevel :lol:

That's why it's not available.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Crossing my fingers.

My SH6 shipped on 5/19. It arrived at the local FedEx hub on 5/21. It was first scheduled to deliver by the end of that day. Then 'pending". Then it got pushed to the next day. Then "pending." After a couple of days, I called FedEx, and they said it would deliver "tomorrow", but online status never changed. Kiesel called them on Thursday and was told they'd hear back on Friday...but they never heard back from them.

Just a bit ago, I got a tracking update that it's scheduled for tomorrow, by end of the day. So 14 days, to go from California to California. 12 of those days, it's been 1.2 miles away from my house.

Crossing fingers, but expectations are tempered.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Crossing my fingers.

My SH6 shipped on 5/19. It arrived at the local FedEx hub on 5/21. It was first scheduled to deliver by the end of that day. Then 'pending". Then it got pushed to the next day. Then "pending." After a couple of days, I called FedEx, and they said it would deliver "tomorrow", but online status never changed. Kiesel called them on Thursday and was told they'd hear back on Friday...but they never heard back from them.

Just a bit ago, I got a tracking update that it's scheduled for tomorrow, by end of the day. So 14 days, to go from California to California. 12 of those days, it's been 1.2 miles away from my house.

Crossing fingers, but expectations are tempered.
What the funk? That’s stupid. I hope you get it soon.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
What the funk? That’s stupid. I hope you get it soon.

Thanks. FedEx told me that it was in a full trailer from a regional hub that still hadn't been unloaded, by the last time I talked to them. I'm not sure how they can just not unload a trailer for over a week... Amusingly, i get (almost) daily (sometimes more than 1 per day) fedex deliveries...just not my guitar. Plus, my WFH "desk" is the dining table in the room closest to the street/driveway, so...that's always annoying.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Thanks. FedEx told me that it was in a full trailer from a regional hub that still hadn't been unloaded, by the last time I talked to them. I'm not sure how they can just not unload a trailer for over a week... Amusingly, i get (almost) daily (sometimes more than 1 per day) fedex deliveries...just not my guitar. Plus, my WFH "desk" is the dining table in the room closest to the street/driveway, so...that's always annoying.
It’s just one of those things, the package you’re most anticipating is the one that takes the longest. Coupled with the fact that “freight is moving slow due to covid 19”. Some deliveries we get at work take 4 days. Others 8.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
After being held at the 1.2 miles-away FedEx hub for 12 days, my new SH6 was delivered. When? I don't know. I went out to my porch when UPS knocked, and saw the guitar standing, leaning against the house...only about 1/2 way down the sidewalk to my "front" door (it's on the side of my home), and was standing up-side-down (headstock down) despite the "this end up" arrows on the box.

The kicker? It is still showing "out for delivery" when I run the tracking number. Here's a photo of the guitar, along with my phone showing that it's still "out for delivery".

More pics and a more thurough run-down NGD thread/post later this week.

p5bLGa5.jpg

xzacx

Reaction score
After being held at the 1.2 miles-away FedEx hub for 12 days, my new SH6 was delivered. When? I don't know. I went out to my porch when UPS knocked, and saw the guitar standing, leaning against the house...only about 1/2 way down the sidewalk to my "front" door (it's on the side of my home), and was standing up-side-down (headstock down) despite the "this end up" arrows on the box.

The kicker? It is still showing "out for delivery" when I run the tracking number. Here's a photo of the guitar, along with my phone showing that it's still "out for delivery".

More pics and a more thurough run-down NGD thread/post later this week.

p5bLGa5.jpg

One-piece top?

')